BeneFit Cosmetics They're Real

3.4

2036 reviews

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Polybutene, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium Edta, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sericin, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Citric Acid, Bht, Sorbic Acid. [+/-: Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)]. N° 05827/N

on 5/25/2015 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a love/hate for me. I've been through 2 deluxe tubes now and I love how long it makes my lashes. They do actually look fake when I am very patient and precise with application. The brush is annoying if you're not careful, but it does allow you to reach the inner corners and bottom lashes with accuracy. It's also quite sharp so do whatever it takes to avoid a poking accident.

The formula starts out very wet and takes about 2 months to dry out completely in the smaller tubes. Even though it takes longer to set when wet, it flakes so much less and this is when this mascara performs best. Once the formula starts drying it's spider eyes and fallout all the way. There are flakes and clumps everywhere in the second month so maximise usage in the early times. This also means that the price is hefty and not very economical if it doesn't perform consistently through its short life.

This is my favourite mascara ever for bottom lashes. They actually look like they exist and despite the flakiness in month 2, the formula doesn't smudge or run. BUT two very negative things come with that perk:
* It is the hardest mascara I've ever encountered to take off! No matter what I use, it's a lengthy process with scrubbing required. Benefit make a remover especially for this but I don't want to splurge when any good mascara should be able to come off with a bit of oil in my opinion.
* this mascara makes my lashes crispy and brittle, both when it's on and when I've removed it. I fear it will irritate my eyes and damage my lashes longterm at this rate.

Choose your battles I guess. I no longer think all of the fiddling, scrubbing, flakes, and temperamental life of this mascara is worth the amazing false lash effect.

on 5/22/2015 2:55:00 AM

This mascara wand irritates me so much. The ball-ish tip never fails to deposit too much mascara on my eyelashes or i'd accidentally poke my eyes while using it. I really don't fancy the brush.
I have average straight asian lashes and i find that curling my eyelashes after applying and waiting for it to dry works better than curling before applying this mascara.
Overall, an average mascara that does what it states- no clumps (but it's a pretty wet mascara), longer and thicker-looking lashes, smudge-proof.

on 5/21/2015 10:01:00 PM

Really do not like this mascara!
I have really short, stumpy eyelashes, so I thought this product would be great.
Instead it clumped all my lashes together and it's impossible to get off!
It flakes off half way through the day and leaves black marks under my eyes, which is highly annoying.
I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone, there are much better mascaras out there!

on 5/21/2015 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this as a birthday pack from Sephora, and thank God I didn't choose to buy it. The wand was good as it has bristles all the way to the tip, so its easy to coat all the way to the smaller lashes on the inner eye. Does not really create the 'falsies' effect on me though, not much lengthening nor volumizing with not very good curling power even with the use of a curler. Just kinda flattens the lash out.

Although it says it doesn't smudge, at the end of the day, i will get smudges on the my bottom lid, as i have oily skin. Still prefer Maybelline Mascaras, so much for less dollars.

on 5/20/2015 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

this is ok. i liked it at first. but it sometimes clumps up my lashes. very hard to take it off but its definitely waterproof

I usually refuse to spend good money on mascara but I got a sample of They're Real and was honestly AMAZED at how good it made my lashes look - separated, extra long, every single lash emphasised. I can see how it gets its name! I immediately bought a full-sized one when it ran out, and while it's pretty expensive, it's worth it for the results. Saying that, if you use it every day like I do you'll be paying to replace it a lot...

The one thing that puts me off this mascara is that even when dry, it transferred onto the skin below my eyebrows and left really noticeable black smudges which people would point out to me. This has never happened with any other mascara I've used (and I've used A LOT) and was really embarrassing - not what you expect when spending that sort of money!

I would buy it again but keep checking that the product hadn't transferred. Also, I personally don't like the packaging, but usually Benefit gets it spot on and I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

on 5/20/2015 2:44:00 AM

I bought this mascara with high anticipation of it being a lengthening, volumizing, flake free mascara. Nonetheless, it does the opposite of what I hoped for. I seen rave reviews of this mascara giving the "falsies" look, but it doesn't lengthen, or volumize in any way. It's almost as if I'm just putting a black paint on my eyelashes for the hell of it. 2) the formula flakes within a four hour span. Yuck. The packaging is cute and durable. It doesn't have a strong or weird scent as some mascaras do. It is buildable, it doesn't clump when you apply the first two layers, but any more layers will lead to a clumpy spider leg mess, which some people may be looking for in mascaras. The brush is probably the only really wonderful thing about this, it separates while coating all the lashes! The price for a 0.14 oz (sample size) is about $12.00USD a few dollars more for what a drugstore mascara would cost and do the exact same thing.

on 5/18/2015 10:14:00 PM

My favorite mascara. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I recommend purchasing the travel size b/c you shouldn't keep mascara over 3mo. It gives me the volume that I want & doesn't smudge for me.

on 5/16/2015 5:18:00 AM

I seem to find it hard to find a mascara that does not leave a deposit over time underneath my lower lashes. This one is the worst for it for me. Good colour, nice brush, but just deposits quicker than others on my under eye skin. I also did not notice it thickening or lengthening my lashes

on 5/11/2015 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't understand why some reviewers said that this didn't lengthen or volumize. I have short and sparse lashes, and after using this mascara I was shocked at how long, curled, and volumized my lashes were! It really does look like I'm wearing fake eye lashes!

Video Reviews & Tutorials