December 21, 2014 | 1835 users online

Mascara - Tarte - Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2013 12:26:00 PM More reviews by Jilly914

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I received a sample of Tarte mascara from Sephora. It does a great job of adding volume, and it separates well. It's not clumpy even after a few coats. The only thing that it didn't do was add length which I really need. I have very short lashes :(

This mascara was easy to apply with a nice size and shape brush (not too big or small). It lasts well throughout the day without smudging.

I would probably repurchase if it did a better job of adding length. Otherwise this is a very good mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by BeautyJunkie1130

I am in love with this mascara!!! It is my holy grail, it leaves my lashes looking beatiful, long, voluptuous and amazing. I first got this in a sample size from Sephora and just fell in love with it and purchased the full sized product. The formula is perfect, does not clump up or flake off; my lashes remain looking full and long all day without any touching up. I personally think it's better than Benefit's They're Real! mascara, which is another favorite of mine. Besides the amazing product, the packaging is super cute too! I recommend this to anyone who wants sexy, full eyelashes, you won't be disappointed :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Tarte's Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara "instinctively treats your unique lash concerns- working overtime to keep lashes hydrated, intact, healthier, and stronger, while delivering the appearance of voluminous lashes. The Amazonian clay makes this the first and only “smart” mascara that intuitively finds and treats your unique lash concerns, delivering the benefits you need and volume you desire. The Amazonian clay instinctively lengthens, conditions, repairs and replenishes dry and brittle lashes. This mascara works overtime to keep lashes intact, healthier, and stronger by preventing lash loss and promoting lash health." Look Tarte, I really like your products and your customer service, but I got a problem with you claiming that an inanimate substance has "instincts" or "intuition". Like all Tarte products, this mascara is formulated without parabens, mineral oil, gluten, triclosan, phthalates, and sodium lauryl sulfate." I got a 5ml (.16 oz) tube of the Gifted mascara in Tarte's High Performance Naturals kit, which I purchased at Sephora for $12. The full size contains 7ml (.24 oz) and retails for $19. Tarte products can be bought through the brand's website, at Sephora and Ulta, and are frequently featured on QVC. This mascara was made in Italy. Tarte is cruelty free.
Tarte's Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara has interesting packaging. The tube is wood. Weird, but cool and totally in line with Tarte's sustainable brand philosophy. An intricate design encircles the cap. The brand logo and product name are printed on the tube in dark brown lettering. Gifted's brush isn't anything special, but for some reason I love it. Its a plain, traditional bristled spoolie that tapers at the tip ever so slightly. The brush is about an inch long with an average girth. I find Tarte's mascara want really easy to work with.
Tarte's Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara is kinda fantastic, its my new favorite. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that everything about Tarte's Gifted mascara is perfect. The formula leans a little bit on the drier side, which I prefer. This mascara is clump free and feels very lightweight on the lashes. Gifted adds a natural amount of length with volume at the base and separation at the tips. Tarte's Amazonian Clay mascara lifts the lashes beautifully and is pretty good for holding a curl. This mascara isn't listed as waterproof, but it performs like one. I've never had one smudge or flake while wearing Tarte's Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara. This has become my new go-to mascara for work because it holds up for 8-10 hours in a hot, sweaty, greasy kitchen. Even though this mascara powers through even the most moist and unpleasant conditions, its super easy to remove with just water and a little bit of cleanser or makeup remover.
All I can say is wow. Have I found the most perfect mascara? I think so! I seriously can't think of one think I don't love about Tarte's Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara. The packaging is neat, and the results and wear are flawless. I'm in love with this mascara, I may even shell out the $19 for the full size (though I cringe at the thought of spending that much on mascara). If you're going to try one high end mascara, make it Tarte's Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2013 8:00:00 AM More reviews by albs

I love Tarte mascaras in general. They are my favourite but I seldom purchase high end mascaras because they have such a short shelf life. Tarte mascaras are the only ones I've tried so far that are worth it, though I still don't buy them habitually. It makes using one quite the treat. I love this mascara for the long, thick, defined, fluttery lashes I get. It's perfection, everything I could want in a mascara. It does not flake but washes off easily at the end of the day. I like the seemingly good-for-you ingredients too, it's nice that they seem to try and keep some of the yuckier ingredients out. The packaging is lovely too. One of the best aspects of the product is the brush. It's a natural bristle brush and it grabs every lash and coats it with product so you get really great definition and length that way. Love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2013 4:12:00 PM More reviews by tobermory12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Expensive for a mascara but...has amazing staying power and didn't give me raccoon eyes (I have oily under eyes). Bought as part of a set, this was a very pleasant surprise for an expensive mascara. Darkened my lashes nicely. Applicator was a little goopy but a quick wipe with a tissue took care of that. Will definitely consider a repurchase when I have some extra cash.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2013 12:34:00 PM More reviews by xpgr1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

This mascara is incredible if you're looking for length, healthy volume, and definition. Having tried both Lights, Camera, Lashes and this one, I cannot choose which one I liked best. The con to Lights, Camera, Lashes is that it can flake if you have lashes that hit your cheekbones and it can sometimes clump. The con to this is that it's curl holding abilities are sadly lacking. I prefer Lights, Camera, Lashes' curl holding abilities, but I prefer Gifted's unbeatable length. This one also flakes if your lashes hit your brow/cheekbone when you look down or up. For reference, I have average length, straight lashes that are black naturally. This mascara also goes down in my top 5 favourites.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 8:05:00 PM More reviews by turquoisegirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara is one of the best that I've tried yet. It does a lovely job of thickening and defining. I would also say that it adds a nice bit of length. I have long lashes, but they're pretty light on the ends, and this mascara darkened them quite nicely and evenly. I'm all for the natural look, and I'm not very keen on having to apply more than two-three layers of mascara to my eyes just to get the desired appearance. With this mascara, I don't find myself going through that type of slow, or otherwise vexing procedure. I would say that only about two coats, (or sometimes even just one coat), is necessary with this product. Most of the mascaras that I've used in the past have been too thick, too runny, and too clumpy-or, if I do find a nice mascara, it only lasts about a good month before drying out and becoming unusable. I've had this mascara for a little over two months now, and it's only recently started to get a bit clumpy and dry, still usable though. I used to think that Clinique's mascaras were the only good mascaras for achieving that "natural" look, but my opinion has now been drastically altered. I bought some Clinique Mascara recently and it is drugstore glop compared to Tarte. I'm returning it and getting another tube of this smart stuff. I would for sure recommend this mascara to anyone-it's great, versatile, and it wears really well. Definitely a new favourite of mine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 6:53:00 PM More reviews by BeFineFilipina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I love this mascara! The formula glides on well and I don't notice clumps like how I did with the recent stupid Revlon mascara I bought last week. I put on 3 layers and my lashes still feel nice and soft, not hard and brittle at all. It gives great definition and length...if you're going for volume I'd suggest using a primer with this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2013 10:52:00 AM More reviews by Neume

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

MY LASHES: Stubborn, Asian lashes - sparse, short, and point straight down.

FORMULA: A good balance, not too wet and not to dry, though quite thick.

APPLICATION: Quickly builds to give anywhere from natural, "born with it" length to dramatic and full. Very versatile.

CURL POWER: My biggest concern and this mascara delivers. This gives incredible, long-lasting curl. My husband actually asked me if I was doing that "fake eyelash thing again." I don't think he realized that was quite possibly one of the sweetest things he has ever said :p

SMUDGEPROOF?: Alas, the deal breaker. No, not smudgeproof, but not horribly smudgy either. It does noticeably transfer to the bottom outer corners of my eyes. I have to intentionally wipe that area to make sure I have nothing there. It won't give me raccoon eyes, but enough smudging to bother me. This usually happens about 2 hours in.

REMOVAL: My usual routine is to take a gob of coconut oil or EVOO and rub my eyes gently, which removes this mascara very easily after a swipe of a cotton pad.

OVERALL: I am *extremely* picky with mascaras, especially when it comes to anything more pricey than drugstore. This mascara was great, but not perfect. I am still on the hunt for that HG non-waterproof that does it all. This came awfully close, but the smudging was enough for me to move on. I did finish it over the course of about 3 months of daily use. It will still be an old standby that I might come back to if nothing else performs better. For now, on to test Lancome.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have come across Tarte a long time ago but fell in love recently thanks to trying their Lights,Camera,Lashes,BB Primer, their powder and my personal favorite the Maracuja oil. So for mother's day I was ordering some Tarte products and this mascara was part of a Sephora deal so I said why not. I like the idea of a smart mascara. Well I try it thinking my lashes which are long and I do curl them so I really can't complain were made very nice,defined, and actually in a pic my sister took my lashes show really well when I wasn't trying.

This mascara though doesn't give my the drama look I'm going for, it's perfect for my minimal makeup days. My lashes do look long and extended and thankfully non-spidery. So I think this is a great mascara if your going for a natural look. I can't get the amount I want like with LCL. But I'm a mascara junky so I have tried a lot of them and this one is good. I really like the packaging it's beautiful. So I will hang on to the tube when I'm done because I like pretty make up that does work, and this does.

It's just not giving me that super dark lash that I want. I haven't given up yet because the picture with my sister really impressed me. Am I getting what I really want..well..er..no. So in that sense I will not repurchase unless I find a way to work with it or I use it more than my Fiberwig but i think I'll stick with Lights Camera Lashes and my other brands. I do recommend this though to someone who wants a natural defined look. It's not a bad mascara in any way so I do think this has it's place for people who want a more natural look.