September 30, 2014 | 1628 users online

Treatments (Face) - Estee Lauder - Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2013 5:06:00 PM More reviews by katy42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This really didn't do anything for me. I got a 15ml sample of the Even Skintone Illuminator in a gift set and used it for four weeks continuously although I didn't think I really needed it - I have been using Advance Night Repair at night and Idealist Pore Minimizer by day for about 20 months and the two together have improved the clarity and tone of my skin - but it was a generously sized sample and being an EL fan I thought it would make some improvement to my skin.
My skin didn't feel as smooth as it did with the original Idealist (or using no serum at all), and my pores started to look larger. The gold shimmer is pointless and although it's largely invisible I found it really annoying when I did catch sight of it.
I did read somewhere that these EL products are described as repair serums but they don't work to improve the skin in the long term - the benefits only last for as long as you're using the product. (Not true of the ANR though, which is just fantastic!)
I've stopped using the Illuminator now and have gone back to the original Idealist, with which I noticed a difference after a couple of days. Reading other reviews it seems that one or other of these products works for most people, not both, and that's certainly true for me.
I have two of these 15ml sample bottles and am reluctant to throw them away so may try them when my skin is less dry in the summer, or layer it with one of the other EL serums. I'm glad I didn't spend money on this. I'd recommend anyone to get a sample from an EL counter before buying, as it's quite expensive to purchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2013 6:57:00 PM More reviews by loverofgrace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

First off, the packaging is an A+ in my book since it has a pump you can control and it's gold which is always pretty.
Pros: smells nice, illuminates skin when putting it on before moisturizer and after.
Cons: when I use cream or gel moisturizers after putting the skin tone illuminator on, it forms like some weird eraser poop like consistency on my face and starts coming off. I've encountered this with some other Estee Lauder products.
When I put my foundation or even a light BB Cream, the subtle shine it gives disappears under the foundation or BB Cream.
It doesn't really improve the skintone.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2013 3:36:00 PM More reviews by JenniAdventure

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

A friend gave me a bunch of samples of the Even Skintone Illuminator to help me with my uneven skin tone and dark red acne scars on my chin. I've been using it for about 2 weeks in the morning before I put on my makeup.

CON:
I normally have pretty dry skin, especially around my nose, cheeks and chin. Since using the serum I haven't had any dryness issues...I've actually been dealing with oiliness towards the end of the day. I don't know if this is just what "normal" skin is like but I'm not sure if I like it just yet. This could also be due to the foundation that I use, though. (MAC Studio Sculpt)

PROS:
It does have "shimmer" but it's not cheap looking shimmer. It gives my skin a nice dewy look that I really like. Also, I do like that it has smoothed out the appearance of my skin after only 2 weeks of use.

I know I haven't really used it long enough yet to notice any changes with my acne scars, which is the main reason why I'm using it. Although I have been dealing with oily appearance by the end of the day, I'll keep using it to see if it helps with the scarring.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by Marivale

Este serum deja la piel muy suave porque esta lleno de siliconas.
Aparte de eso: colaboró muy poco a unificar el tono de mi piel (que es lo que promete). Me salió bastante dinero (USD 120 x 30 ml) y resultó mucho menos efectivo que la constancia de usar retinol+vita C en Invierno. Ilumina el rostro, pero tiene mas bien un efecto cosmético que de tratamiento, no vi resultados con su uso continuado.
No lo volvería a comprar.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2012 2:03:00 AM More reviews by Ispania

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought a kit with day moisterizer and Idealist was in the kit. It is a small bottle . 5 oz, but I Ve been using it over a month. II use it as a primer, because I don't know how else I could use it. The bottle is over- I haven't noticed any results. May be the bottle is too small, but I didn't notice smooth feeling too. The texture seems pleasant , but when I smooth onto my face it doesn't feel good. It has some shimmer in it, which seems to illuminate the skin, but it also seems to fade away too quickly. Happy I didn't buy a full size, would be waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by hunnybunnyipm

So, my friend was raving about this and she doesn't rave, so I bought some. A bottle later I was irritated and felt like I'd been duped. And then... I realized I hadn't been. I hate to say it, but I really like this stuff. I have very red, ruddy skin. My Clairisonic + Vitamin E Oil at night (which I sometimes swap out for other products) has helped my skin come a long way, but using this really has smoothed out the rough edges. It has just a touch of tint to help even things out, and when I stopped using it I did notice a difference. So as much as I hate to say it, because it's expensive and it gets some build up on the nose, I'll keep on buying it because I don't have bright red clown face.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/28/2012 1:07:00 PM More reviews by kateric

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product did nothing to help my skin discoloration. I love Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair but this was very disappointing. It also has kind of a "plastic" or silicone-type feeling which I didn't like.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2012 8:47:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Utter rubbish. The texture is silky and gorgeous and initially made my skin look matte and more even. After two weeks, I developed milia all over my face. The big wakeup call happened when I started developing cystic zits on my cheeks. It was so awful that one of them left a deep pitted scar on my right cheek which still looks pretty ugly to me. I'll never, ever buy this again. I don't care how much you pay me. In my opinion, this can never beat Estee Lauder Synchronised Advanced Night Repair Complex Serum which is their best treatment.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by kkeanisie

This product is a godsend for me! I've had acne for about 4 years now, it's never really gone away, but some weeks are better than others. I started using this when I finally took a look at my face and was horrified by how much discoloration and dark spots were left from my acne. I bought this product and used it morning and night, along with my normal skin care products which was just tea tree face wash and toner from the body shop, and within the first week I noticed that my skin was much brighter, softer, and I hadn't had any breakouts, and even less pimples than usual. I kept using it until the bottle was finished (it lasted about 2 months for me) , and near the end of the bottle, my skin was amazing! It was like I never had acne before. My marks were faded about 80% my skin was soft and luminous, and I had hardly any pimples, and my skin was glowing! I actually enjoyed putting makeup on for once because my skin looked so flawless with it on. My friends and even their parents were like "what happened to your skin?! Wow!" ... So yeah. Love this product, it worked a miracle for me!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by shar037

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

While getting matched for Double-Wear Light, the salesperson showed this to me. When I saw the light reflective particles, I assumed it to be yet another gimmicky product that does nothing but make you shimmer.
In my book, shimmer is cosmetics- not skincare.
But , I will say that this product is truly both.
After 1 week of using this, I looked at myself in the rear view mirror and could barely believe how amazing my skin looked. No, I didn't look for very long and no, I did not get into a car accident:)
I did some digging on Beautypedia and dug some more to validate Paula B's claims.
She is correct that this contains the very same ingredients as (Estee Lauder owned) Clinic's Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector. However, I am a chemist and I must point out that we do not know amounts of ingredient's nor the type of preparation, for either of these products.
Therefore, they could work very differently.
I once spent $300 on some stuff by Orlane and had nothing close to the results with this product.
Sun spots are already fading and the skin under my eyes does not look as thin.
As Paula B point out, there isn't a lick of research proving this products effectivness.
But, when I look in the mirror...I don't need any research!

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No