October 31, 2014 | 893 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 7:02:00 AM More reviews by theragdolly

This stuff is fantastic! I'd originally wanted to buy the UDPP but at £15 a pop, I was a little hesitant. I googled dupes, and this came up as the one to try, so after ordering from blanc2noir.com (NEVER AGAIN, ATROCIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE, ABSOLUTELY APPALLING) it finally arrived and I proceeded to give it a go. It's a bit wet to start with, but having never used another eye primer to compare it to, I didn't know if this was good or bad. I find that one splodge from the doefoot applicator is enough to do both eyes, and as its colourless, I take it from lid right up to under my brows. I leave it to go tacky for maybe two minutes, and then pack the colour on. I had a works do a couple of weeks back, and created a beaut smoky eye over this base, at approx 5.30pm. I then went out, drank, ate, drank more, drank more, drank more (you get the idea) and eventually made it home and fell asleep without even thinking to take my makeup off. The next morning I awoke, still drunk (there was a lot of drinking) and when I dared look in the mirror, I couldn't believe what I saw - my eyeshadow was still PERFECTLY applied. And I mean perfectly. It hadn't budged one bit. So, slightly late and under the influence(!) I decided to leave my makeup where it was. I finally got home at 5pm that day, and although I was desperate to take my makeup off and feel clean again, the eyeshadow was STILL PERFECT. Seriously guys, this stuff is amazing. I don't know how they do it, but with this, they've done it. Can't recommend highly enough!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 8:20:00 PM More reviews by Nitala

I am no longer going to buy Urban Decay's primer because of this product. I tested this one against Urban Decay (as well as "Milk" and another primer) on my arm using a terribly pigmented e.l.f. shadow. NYX's primer made it just as bright and richly pigmented as Urban Decay's. Not only that, I could still see some colour after I had taken a shower. The other primer and Milk had completely faded and of course the control swatch was gone (but then again, there wasn't much colour there in the first place).

I will buy this again and again. No more 20+ dollar primer! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 1:01:00 AM More reviews by Loubigrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This has to be the best eye primer on the market! Blows away Urban decay, the primer potion other brand, Nars, etc... I can layer it on top of my eye cream, serum, depuffer and no problem! It will never disappoint!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2013 1:14:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

UPDATE: I used this primer before heading out to the state fair, where I spent almost 5 hours wearing a flannel shirt on an unexpectedly warm and sunny day. I sweated, I blotted, my foundation and powder took a visible hit, but my shadow & liner looks like I just applied it.

ORIGINAL: I was using Wet'nWild's primer until I saw the mega-comparison of drugstore primers over at Brightest Bulb In The Box and saw in the photos how NYX blew WnW away both in color saturation and lasting power. Given that it's in the same price range ($8 for NYX versus $6 for WnW) I ordered a tube.

Because I don't wear vivid eye shades very often, the difference in color intensity is honestly pretty hard to see on the eye. But I did a small-scale replication of the mega-comparison on my own arm, swatching various shadows I own on both WnW and NYX primers: every shadow was noticeably more opaque over the NYX, duochromes were slightly more apparent, and they held up slightly better to rubbing/wiping with my fingers. On my eyes, I notice less wear of crease colors and liner over the NYX. Given that it's not difficult for me to find the NYX primer at Target or eBay I feel it's more than worth the extra couple dollars to switch.

I dislike the wand tube and gave it a low rating for packaging. It's sleek and attractive but I would much prefer a squeeze tube for sanitary purposes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 9:04:00 PM More reviews by itsiliii

So I picked this up on a whim, and i've been using it for a couple months so I think i've got a pretty good idea on the performance of it.

Basically, I find this primer to be rather confusing. I don't know if i'm not letting it set completely at times and what not. But basically the performance of this stuff varies! There are weeks where this stuff is amazing, it makes my eyeshadow vibrant and last all day long. Then there's are days where I find that everything has creased, or no creasing has occurred but the colors have faded noticeably.

I'm not really sure why this occurs, and I haven't really noticed it being correlated with the weather or anything. Or maybe it's not distributed well in the tube...yeah that might be it, i'll give it a couple shakes beforehand and see if that changes anything..

Basically though, despite my review seeming iffy, I really do recommend this stuff. Although at times it does not perform as well it STILL outdoes my UD priming potion nearly every time. It's affordable, so give it a try! :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/21/2013 10:54:00 AM More reviews by summerflake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was my second eye primer after trying the dollar one from e.l.f. Even though this is a few bucks more, it didn't perform as well for me. Sure it helped my eyeshadows to appear more vibrant, but the creasing was worse. It didn't matter whether I applied a thin or thick layer, I got creasing within the hour. I'm not sure if it's the humid weather, but the primer itself creases on my lids without applying any eyeshadow (though I do set it with a translucent powder). For oilier lids like mine, it's not the best as a primer but good enough as a base to make your eyeshadows pop.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 1:36:00 AM More reviews by Dannibee123

MY FAV EYESHADOW PRIMER! Helps eye makeup stay on all day long without creasing... comes out matte so somedays there's no need for eyeshadow just eyeliner and you're good to go!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 9:01:00 AM More reviews by AdrienneStarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is another one of my absolute essentials...I use this whenever I wear shadow and it has made a tremendous difference in the longevity of wear. For example, I apply it under my shadow in the mornings; typically around 530 and wear it until around 630PM, which equals approximately 13 hours of flawless and creaseless wear. For $6, I'd say that is quite remarkable! Compared to other shadow primers that I've researched such as NARS, Urban Decay, Smashbox, and a few others...NYX gets the 5 out of 5 lippies from me. This is NOT to say the aforementioned products are not good; however, as far as the price point and quality NYX is the way to go. I just don't see spending upwards of $20 or more on an eye primer to get the same, if not better, results as you will with NYX HD Shadow Primer. The wand makes for easy application, and it lasts a while since you don't really need much to get the job done. The one I have I've been using since about this time last year and it's still going strong. I also purchased a new one a while ago because I was scared I'd run out. So, YES I highly recommend this product. It will make your e/s experience that much better, and some of those shadows you may have otherwise given a mediocre or poor review will likely be better if you base with this product before applying them.
NYX HD Shadow Primer has Adrienne's endorsement!
~Adreinne Starr

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 2:12:00 AM More reviews by ThatDarnCass

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I haven't tried a lot of eye shadow primers, but picked this up based on the good reviews on this site. I really like it and will not be wasting my money on more expensive eye shadow primers as this does the job quite well. I typically put on my eye shadow (on top of this primer) at about 7:30am and it lasts without fading or creasing until I wash off my makeup and go to bed-- anywhere from 10pm to midnight. I like it so much I've recommended it to friends.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2013 6:22:00 PM More reviews by fatttoad909

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this primer. As good if not better than TF and UD primers, (I have used both) for a much better price. I don't know why people are complaining that it takes too long to set, maybe they are applying too much.
The way I use it is it only takes a couple of minutes if that, if you apply too much it will take to long to set. Use sparingly is what I would suggest.