July 28, 2014 | 2006 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by feistyfluxy

Josie Maran's line is based on the "miracle product" argan oil, the oil du jour. The quality of her argan oil is the best, and considering the ethics and the environmental ethos behind Josie Maran Cosmetics, you are getting the best organic quality argan oil for a very competitive price, if you compare to luxury brand Kahina who will charge you $56 for a 200ml cleanser ($32 for 6 oz for Josie). Otherwise, Melvita, a french equivalent of Weleda, has very good quality argan oil at a very affordable price. I digress though, back to the review!
I purchased a trial sample (cleanser, oil. and spf moisturiser) and used this cleanser in USA in the sweltering heat of 37 degrees Celsius (that is 98 in Fahrenheit). I used a small amount and noticed a lovely and light fruity smell and an oil with a very unusual thick and sticky consistency. I decided to use this as a pre-cleanse with a hot flannel.
It removed makeup easily (haven't tried waterproof, but I imagine there would be no problem) and left my skin, soft, smooth and completely clean without tightness. It also removed all excess sebum produced.
I have noticed, you don't need a lot, but it will give you less slip. Whilst this I find is excellent for giving myself a deep cleansing massage, you have to be careful around the eye area, but adding water will produce a milk that allows pleny of slip and removes every last trace of mascara, particularly used with a flannel.
I have used a foaming wash since I started taking care of my skin at the age of 14 (almost 37) and have decided as I am getting little bouts of adult acne to stop the usage of foam producing cleansers and have, as a result much better skin. I am impressed with this cleaner and hope I can easily replace this despite living in the UK! This cleanser is beautiful, easy to use, good for you, ethically and financially.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 9:07:00 AM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm new to cleansing oils and I've been pleasantly surprised with this product. I decided to give it a try after finding that over time my cleanser wasn't helping my ever-increasing dry skin. After looking around at cleansing oil ingredient lists and not wanting to make my own, I found that Josie's had the simplest of ingredient lists and no artificial fragrances which tend to aggravate my skin. You definitely have to follow the instructions to get the best results with this cleansing oil. I've been using this for over a month now and this is what I have found: I apply 3-4 pumps on my palm, rub them together and coat my face including my eyelids and then gently massage onto my face. It's this step that lifts off makeup including eye makeup. So, if you start off using the oil with wet hands and/or wet face, it will not be as effective in makeup removal. Then, I add a little water so that the product emulsifies and turns into a milky consistency and then rinse off. I also use Josie's cleansing cloth and with the muslin side, gently remove the rest of the product from my skin. My face is left smooth, clean, hydrated but not greasy. For reference, I have sensitive skin prone to redness, normal to dry but prone to blemishes. I am in perimenopause which explains why my once oily skin is now much drier and more sensitive, and have had to adjust my skincare routine accordingly. I use an exfoliant daily to keep my skin clear and blemish free: Paula's Choice 1% BHA lotion. I have not had an allergic reaction to the cleansing oil and am quite pleased with it because the cleansers I had been using including Paula's Choice, just were not hydrating enough for my skin. I also use either Josie's Rosey Mist or Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Toner after cleansing, followed by the BHA product and then Josie Maran Argan Oil. This simpler routine has kept my skin hydrated and redness free. Highly recommend this cleansing oil.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2013 1:06:00 AM More reviews by thecutietootie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this product after running out of my MAC cleans off oil. The thing that sucked me in was the smell. It smelled fabulous!! I used it once and thought it felt a little heavy and oily. So after continuing to use it for about a week I called it quits. I didn't feel like it got all my make up off like the MAC one. And it also left my skin feeling very greasy. Would defiantly not repurchase this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/28/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by k8lawrence

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this product because i'd been using Lush's 9 to 5 cleansing lotion and wanted a similar product that I could wash off with water. unlike a lot of other users I didn't find it particularly hard to use or overly thick and gummy at all-- it went onto my dry skin smoothly and spread around without any excess tugging. it thickened up a little when I first added water, but quickly became a nice, creamy texture that was easy to massage all over my face removed all my makeup (including bobbi brown's long-wear gel eyeliner) and left me feeling clean when I washed it off. (for reference-- you put this on dry skin first, add a little water to emulsify the oil, massage the emulsified oil into the skin for a few seconds, and then wash it off. if you don't emulsify the oil it doesnt come off as well-- that's why you read the directions, y'all.) it's true that it doesnt taste particularly good if you get it in your mouth, but i dont buy skincare products for the taste so that's not exactly relevant to me. the only reason why i returned this product to Sephora is that I don't think oil cleansers are right for me-- I ended up with clogged pores and bumps all over my forehead and cheeks. I had the same thing with the 9 to 5 cleanser so I think that's just me and not the product. overall a good product, just not right for me!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by shessodessoMUA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've never really thought to combat oil with oil when considering skincare products. I do have oily skin and I thought this product felt fairly great at work. I took a sample home and I do deem it very drying. Again, I do have oily skin but I don't like for my skin to feel that tight.I typically use this during the winter, but I had to top this product off with my Ole Henriksen Advanced Hydration Moisturizer. I'm not big on using my cleanser to remove my makeup because I don't like my clarisonic having to pick up (and harbor) all of that dirt. It truly creeps me out. I will say it does clean any left over makeup I have! I feel like it strips me too much so I'd use this maybe once a week (almost the equivalent to a shampoo). I would def not buy it again. I'll just continue to sample it from work! :)

rated 2 of 5 on 4/19/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by edtennisbabe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have to say that I definitely did not enjoy using this product. I've used a cleansing oil to remove makeup for about two years now (usually MAC Cleanse Off Oil...great stuff). On a whim, I purchased this at Sephora. First, as others mention, the texture is really thick. You wouldn't think this is a big deal, but when it comes to getting eye makeup off this stuff really tugs and pulls at your skin. On top of that, it doesn't rinse off well at all.

I think most people use cleansing oils because they want a gentle, moisturizing, and thorough cleansing. Given that this tugs, feels drying, and doesn't remove makeup all that well, I'd call it a total fail.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by Northstar5

I have sensitive combination skin that gets dry and flaky in some areas but breaks out easily. I really like the feel of this product so don't let that part put you off---it goes on easily and washes very clean, and took off 100% of my makeup, even mascara, without leaving a trace. The problem is that the product is very drying. I don't understand how an oil could leave my skin so very dry, tight, flaky and rough, and a bit irritated as well. This rarely happens. The Josie Maran cleanser is one of the most drying products I've ever washed my face with. No wonder it works so well for people with oily skin.

I did not notice the dryness too much after the first wash, but after the second and third wash it was a clear problem. I put on Complex 15 face cream with two drops of pure Argan oil afterwards and that helped a lot, but I will never wash my face with this again. I suspect the grapefruit rind oil is an issue. Also, the emulsifier (Polysorbate 20) ranks very high on the ingredients list and is usually used in smaller proportions.

Sephora has a good return policy so I'll take it back. It may be a great product for someone with oilier skin. And for those complaining about the taste: give me a break. It's not supposed to be your evening cocktail. Who cares.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2013 4:11:00 PM More reviews by MakeupAddictLa

Not worth the money. Doesn't remove makeup well. However, it does wash clean leaving no residue which I appreciate.

Will not repurchase. Not worth it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Angeldoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to love this but I didn't. My skin is combo, acne+clog prone, slightly sensitive. This cleanser after 2 weeks of using turned my combo skin into a dry tight mess. I stopped using it and returned to another gentler cleanser and my skin is calming down. This made my skin tight and dry and I got dematitis on my cheeks due to the dryness it caused me. Also the fact that this cleanser is so thick and hard to spread (I had to rub the heck out of my skin) made made my skin red and angry.I love josie but this cleanser was absolutely horrible for me. I'm returning it asap!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by xcessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the fourth oil cleanser I've tried: Shu, MAC, Boscia, and now Josie. I have to say - this is my least favourite! Both nights that I have used it, my eyes have been red and irritated the next day. This is not true at all with the Shu or MAC ones - you can really get in there and break down long wearing eye makeup, lash glue, whatever with no irritation. Boscia is good but the mintyness also wasn't great for my sensitive skin.
Pros of this is that it really does take all the makeup off, and leaves your skin feeling moisturized. If you use a separate eye makeup remover, give this a shot. If you want an all-in-one, try the others mentioned.