Thierry Mugler Angel

3.2

on 5/4/2014 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The first time a sales lady sprayed my wrist with Angel I almost gagged. "how can this be one of the most popular fragrances in the world?! It smells like a dumpster swarming with roaches" I said to my husband. I nearly gagged, but resisted the urge to wash it off. We came home and after 7 hours or wearing it I smelled this delicious mix of patchouli and vanilla and berries and everything that's delicious in this world. Fast forward a few months later, I decided to give it another go, on paper. And I held that paper for a good hour. Smelled it every 5 minutes and I could not get enough of it! I still didn't hasten to buy it. Did the tango for a month and I finally decided to buy it. I'm in love. PS. The packaging of the refillable 50ml star bottle I found ridiculously cheap. The plastic/metallic like cover is so flimsy. Seeing that I paid 140$ for this bottle the expect the packaging to be top notch. And it isn't.

on 4/22/2014 5:24:00 PM

I am writing a review for Angel as I have read many reviews and it seems I feel differently about this sent than many others, yes it is Bold, but if used with a light hand to me can be a Beautiful refreshing fragrance. It reminds me of the Fog covered Mountains tops on a cool morning, The crisp water in the streams. This can be a most Beautiful fragrance. I Love this sent and it will always be a part of my life. My wish for others who try this, Look into the fragrance not just the surface.

on 4/19/2014 9:46:00 PM

To the people who love this fragrance, please be aware that not everyone does. I smell it on women all the time. Women I know as well as strangers walking past me, on public transport or, god forbid, in elevators where it seems to linger for weeks after the wearer has left. I see lots of reviews state it works well with their body chemistry...hmmm, that's interesting as every woman I smell it on smells exactly the same - it surrounds them (and everyone within a 10 metre radius) with a migraine inducing, smack you in the face sickly sweet fug. A girl I went to school with wore this scent. The first time I smelt it, I was so shocked and horrified that I said, "wow! What perfume are you wearing?" She replied that it was Angel and asked me if I liked it. What could I say but, "yes it's lovely!" It's unfortunate as lots of people I know do this and it perpetuates the myth that everyone loves this smell on those that wear it when in reality it's the exact opposite. If you must wear it, please be aware that it's polarizing and that you will probably offend at least as many people as you delight (although I have yet to meet a person delighted by this fragrance when it passes you on the street). This isn't a personal fragrance, this is obnoxious and it invades everyone's territory. Harsh review? Yes, but after recovering from an Angel induced migraine, I feel it's more of a public service announcement.

on 4/5/2014 10:22:00 AM

This is my signature fragrance. I love, love it, and have found no other fragrance that comes close to Angel, and I have worn it for fifteen years. I switch off here and there with Alien edp and a few other fragrances, but I wear this one about five days out of the week. I go by compliments more than anything-that is what determines what fragrance is best for me. Now, a description of the scent: It starts out very strong, then the patchouli notes kick in after about ten minutes. The sweet notes of the peaches and plums are next, then after about an hour-the best part- the chocolate, caramel and vanilla-YUM! Angel drydown reminds me of cotton candy, vanilla ice cream and amusement parks(where I ALWAYS wear it, by the way, I have gotten compliments while waiting in lines for rides). I wear it in summer heat and bitterly cold days. I also own limited edition bottles and all the bath products. I make sure I always have a backup bottle so as not to run out!!!! The bottle is "out of this world" beautiful, especially the "glamour" bottle.

on 4/1/2014 7:45:00 PM

This tends to smell very smoky and odd on me. The sample I received smelled powdery and feminine but the product I purchased smelled a little too powdery and strong. I don't really like it, and I will not buy it again.

on 3/11/2014 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

So.. being a 21 year old, you would think I would detest this fragrance.. However, I truly enjoy this and am considering to make it my signature.
When I first sniffed this, I thought it was the worst thing I have ever smelled. It was so offensive and strong. But I received a sample in a gift set a few years ago and started to actually try it on my skin... and now from the bottle, I actually enjoy it.
So from the bottle, it smells strong, mentholy, slightly sweet and somewhat dirty...
But on my skin... I get mostly sweet chocolate and patchouli. And I love it. This perfume is so strong, so one spray is almost too much.. and it lasts and lasts. It's also easily recognizable on others.. I can always detect if someone is wearing it.
In all, this is a fragrance in which I always want to wear, even if I shouldn't...
However.. I asked my father what he thought and he thought it smelled too old for me. So we shall see..

on 3/9/2014 9:24:00 PM

I only began liking this perfume since I've gotten a little older. At 35 years old, its more of a seductive, sensual scent, than the fruitier & floral perfumes. At first, I admit it doesn't smell that wonderful, but when it "tones" down, it smells, we'll, like no other perfume I've owned, or even smelled. Once you smell this, you will know exactly what your smelling, know mistaking. It's hard to explain what it smells like on me, but me & my husband love it, especially him! It's the kind of scent you wear when you know there's gonna be lovin'!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

as i grow older my senses have been leaning towards feminine and womanly smells rather than the candy and sweet smells i use to enjoy as a young girl. my all time favourite is chanel no.5 and this is up there with it. I first tried this fragrance at turkey in istanbul. initially when i first sprayed it on the smell wasnt that great but within half an hour it smelt amazing. now when i wear it i remember turkey and my aunty in istanbul wore this perfume so many times in her life that her skin induced it in. If you are someone who wears perfumes for memories then make angel the perfume that you will never forget. angel has scarred my sensory system that it is inevitible to forget. thank you thierry mugler for an enjoyable and pleasant experience.

EDIT on 11-14-14:
Ok, so I vowed with my November challenge to give this one another try (if you see my review below, you'll know why I needed to!!). Since originally trying Angel a few years ago I have fallen in love with several other Muglers, but was really scared to try this one again.

So, here's my new take on it....
So far, I definitely think LESS IS MORE with this one. I started yesterday with about 2 half spritzes and that was enough. I get caramel, chocolate, and patchouli for the most part in varying degrees of strength. The entire drydown is a nice warm amber-patch on me, and it lasts about 6 hours with these 2 half spritzes. I think trying it in cold weather and going very easy it on it made a huge difference. This is a powerhouse for sure, and not to be spritzed with abandon.

I tried the body cream last night and was pleasantly surprised at how citrusy it is in the opening. Hmm very interesting.

So...my review below that said I will NEVER EVER purchase this again? Well, I'm happy to say that I was wrong (and no dead rodent accord this time---I pretty much got no cotton candy at all, which was what I was worried about). What a pleasant turnaround for me. :)

(original review below):
I really wanted to love this. I've had samples several times, thinking my reaction to it will change. Alas, that is not to be.

I realize that fragrance is so subjective, and everyone's mileage may vary...and everyone's noses and chemistry create all sorts of unique lovely scents on the skin.

On my skin, Angel started out as sweaty feet (patchouli) and turned to rotting little rodents (caramel, sugar, and patchouli). I'm not sure why this processes in this manner on my body and to my nose, but it's horrific and disgusting.

It gives an entirely new meaning to the phrase 'scrubber'.

My mom likes it, it smells great on her. I will say, the bottle is beautiful. But I will never, EVER, repurchase Angel again.

on 2/5/2014 7:59:00 PM

OMG! If this was the last fragrance on the face of the earth, I wouldn't come near it with a 10 foot pole! If this was the last fragrance on the face of the earth, I would use it to exterminate insects in a field of wheat or corn! Crop dusting, anyone? When Janet Jackson sang her song, "Nasty", she had to be singing about this stuff. My mom always told me that, "If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say it". Obviously I didn't listen to my mother. If I could rate this a MINUS TEN, I would.

Popular Fragrances