April 19, 2014 | 1525 users online

Liquid - Mary Kay - Time Wise Matte Wear Liquid Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by sammraovich

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation is tricky. It is great if you know what you're doing, if not, then skip it. Let me explain. First off, this foundation is for oily skin. Most of us with Oily Skin also have very dry skin because we treat our skin to a lot of salicylic acid and glycolic acid to keep the pores clear of the oil turning into gunk. You should also be aware that just because you know you have oily skin, does not mean you have hydrated skin. Your skin could be extremely dried out even though it's oily. DO NOT CONFUSE OIL AND WATER. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING! So, before you use the talc based foundation, you MUST FIRST treat your skin to a steam session for 3 minutes to replenish your skin's moisture content. Remember, the talc in this foundation will pull water (and oil) out of your skin. Failure to put water back in your skin WILL CAUSE ACNE FROM IRRITATION! After your 3 minute steam treatment (and you should know not to steam your face too often, it can be irritating so be careful how long and often you do it), you must put on a very good moisturizer right away that will hold that water in your skin so it does not evaporate back into the air. I would say the Mary Kay Botanical Moisturizer formula 1 is very good to do the job. Then you are ready to apply this foundation, but not till you do these other steps first. Failure to do so, will result in this foundation not sitting pretty on your skin and will accent very dry patches of skin and make the flaky areas look even more noticeable and you will not look good. Before putting this talc based foundation on, put a squirt of the Mary Kay moisturizer in it to add some water and this will also help continue to keep skin moist. REMEMBER, WATER AND OIL ARE NOT THE SAME. So don't think just because you are putting in a moisturizer that this will clog your pores. It will not. Mary Kay's moisturizer are non-comedogenic. Try not to put too much of the product around your eyes, cause it can make wrinkles look more accented. Even if you do all these steps, and get results you like, it is a lot of time to do and you may just want to skip this product and get one that is more on the moisturizers side of things instead of a talc based product for foundation. Good luck.... I also would not use this foundation everyday. You could get break outs, so I would say just use it as a "Once in awhile" type make up. One final note, the Mary Kay Medium Coverage Foundation is even more drying and talc based than this one in the Timewise Collection. I would suggest to never use that one at all. Also, you need a soap that is specially made to remove a foundation, and the Mary Kay Deep Cleanser Formula 3 does an excellent job at removing all make up off the face, however that cleanser which was really GREAT, got discontinued by the Mary Kay company as of August 2013. What a shame. That same cleanser also got a "BEST" rating from Paula Begoun and Mary Kay's marketing team was not too smart to discontinue it! Gee! Don't they know when they've got a GREAT product when they got one? And then discontinue it????? GEE!!!!!!!!! Anyhow, use the eye make up remover for the eye liner and mascara first then use the Deep Cleanser. Just remember, after you wash off the make up at the end of the day, you may see white heads. This is normal because as you wear the foundation through the day, the talc in the product pulls the oil deep within the pore to the surface. Think of wearing the foundation as a mask. When you do a clay mask on your face and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, after you wash it off, you almost always will see white heads because the clay and talc in a clay mask will pull the oil to the surface, and talc based foundation does the same. You can easily wash out these white heads by using a 2% salicylic acid soap on your face with a wash cloth and follow with a great moisturizer. You may want to consider buying the Mary Kay Clay Mask in the Botanical line Formula #3. It�s made for oily skin and I use it 3x a week. Again, all this work to get this foundation to look right may not be worth it. Just pass on it, but if you really wanna get it to work and look great, follow what I said, and Again, good luck...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2012 12:31:00 AM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am porcelain in most foundations, N3 in MAC, and Porcelain in Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. I wear Ivory 4 in this foundation and it's a great match. I'm actually very dry but love the finish of this better than the Luminous formula by far. This makes my pores look smaller and cancels out the rosacea redness in my face pretty well. What I love most is that I usually don't need powder over this unless I want to look more polished. It wears really well over sunscreen. I've tried Neutrogena Healthy Pure Sreen SPF 50 and La Roche Posay Anthelios SX. Both look good and have no complaints. Highly recommended for sensitive skin/combo skin or dry skin with moisturizer/sunscreen underneath.

Having said all of this, Estee Lauder Double Wear Light is still my HG, the finish is amazing and it wears beautifully. But the Mary Kay is a pretty close 2nd especially for the price difference.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2012 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

Overall, this is a ok foundation. I've used it mainly on my nose and chins where I have enlarged pores, and therefore don't use my EM makeup there...

This has a good light-medium coverage to me, and it does not enlarge pores too much. Compared to the older Mary Kay foundation (the medium-coverage for oily skin) this is more dry. The dryness easily makes every little dry flaw even more visible... I guess it contains some alcohol, or something else that's drying... It kept the oil at bay for a few houres, but "makes it hard to smile" cause it easily "cracks" on my face.... I guess I need a more moisturizing foundation for really oily skin?? Sounds weird, but I think my skin is very sensitive at the same time as I have acne and a dry surface ....

Anyway! If you have oily skin, I think you should find a sample of this - it's cheap and available in many shades and undertones. But if you have reactive, sensitive acne-skin - stay away from this.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2012 9:21:00 PM More reviews by yechanhohyun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have fairly oily skin, so I was hoping this would help control it. I really do love the finish it has when you first put it on. It's velvety and matte, exactly like I wanted. However, even if I set it with powder, it gets very, very oily after only a few hours. It also dried out my oily skin, which doesn't usually happen. I might try the luminous wear, since I really like the coverage it gave. Overall, I was pretty disappointed.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/23/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Monseter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

So my mom let me use this for a baby shower and holy crap was that the absolute WORST mistake of my life. I woke up the next morning COVERED in whiteheads from my chin to my forehead. Now when I say COVERED I mean there was a whitehead in every single pore on my face. Moral of the story is that I had a crazy allergic reaction to it and I had to get on steroids to clear my face up :(

POINT IS, it's a good makeup and it stays matte and it makes your face look smooth and awesome but if you have sensitive or acne prone skin, I'd stay away from it because it has some pretty harsh chemicals and it suuuuuuuuper sinks/sticks to pores. :/

Overall it's only been the worst foundation I've tried because it's the first of which I've actually had an allergic reaction to.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Ania_Wang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

When I applied this foundation it felt really nice, very velvetely and perfect. But to my dissapointment my face becomes very oily after about an hour....
I think I should not use liquid foundations at all...
The packaging could be more modern too... if they made it with a pump.

Overall if you face is not super super oily like mine (nothing can help it), then go for this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Joamy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a NC 44 in MAC. I have tried numerous and I mean numerous different types of foundation. They never stay on because of my oily skin and it was always a hassle all around. Now that I have found the Mary Kay Time Wise foundation im never going back. I tried to use other expensive brands when i ran out of the Time Wise but nothing gives the beautiful HD finish that this foundation gives me. It gives me full coverage and it looks absolutely flawless. I actually have to mix two colors (which is nothing new with my complexion since all the foundations on the market are either too dark or too light) So i mix bronze 1 and beige 8 for a perfect color (sometimes I use the beige 8 for highlight as well). I will forever keep buying this foundation. Here's a tip: on Ebay you can actually find this foundation way cheaper.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2012 12:51:00 PM More reviews by KatKoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

THIS IS A MUST TRY IF YOU ARE VERY PALE!! It is way lighter than a lot of the lightest foundations in most lines!! That is the main reason I use it.

FINISH - This makeup has a natural finish. It says matte and it is matte for a second, until it melts into your skin, beautifully, I might add.

ODOR - No real odor. But the odor it does have is nice and not too chemically. But it is very subtle.

STAYING POWER - Even when I prime and powder, this foundation only lasts 8 hours on my skin. I do not have oily skin, but this stuff will wipe off on my hands if I scratch my nose after about 8 hours.

SHADE - If you are a really pale person like me, I would recommend trying the Ivory 1 color. It is lighter than Mac NC15 and Bobbie Brown Alabaster which are commonly recommended for those of us who are really pale. It is not quite light enough for me, but as an everyday foundation it really works.

APPLICATION - I find this a little tricky to put on as it dries pretty quick. The way I have decided is best is to pat it onto my face in small areas and work all the way around my face. When I need a little less coverage, I do this with a wet sponge. On those days, my skin looks the best.

COVERAGE - Can be medium if you put it on lightly, but is really easy to create full coverage with this one.

OVERALL - This is my everyday makeup, because it is pretty cheap compared to others that area available, and because I can not seem to find a lighter foundation that does not make my skin upset.
EDIT 1/2013 -- I no longer use this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 5:57:00 AM More reviews by nlcrawford16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a consultant and love the product myself! I never really was a foundation wearer but when I tried this I was sold because the ones in the store just never seemed to match and plus I had a chance to try it before I bought. That allowed me to get the correct color. I absolutely like the natural look it gives unlike some of the other products I have used.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2012 11:50:00 AM More reviews by kklunder

I haven't worn liquid foundation for years but decided to try this out and I love it. I set it with the MK pressed powder and it lasts all day with no oxidation. Love it! The MK rep is very nice and knowledgable.