October 24, 2014 | 1451 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Perfect Refining Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by ensei

I have to say that I was sucked into the packaging a little bit with the minimalist bottle. It really is a small bottle compared to other foundation bottles, but it holds the standard 1 oz of foundation. The coverage is medium-full with very little needed to achieve it. Because of this the foundation has to be applied and pushed/sheered out since you only need a few drops at most for your entire face.

My skin is about NC25 right now with neutral to yellow undertones and I have combination skin with normal to oily T-zone and slightly dry cheeks. The 'O' range is way too yellow/orange so I tried the 'I' range that leans more neutral/yellow. I tried first the color I40 which seemed like a good fit but was in the end too dark, so I switched over to the I20. The I20 is a good fit, although, the perfect fit would be a bottle of I20 with a few drops of I40 mixed in. I have to say that the foundation does oxidize, and what initially looked neutral/yellow became a lot more pink looking on the skin.

Someone on the board said that this is a lot like Nars Sheer Glow but a little more drying and I agree. This creates a perfect semi-matte sorta glowy base, but has a tendency to cling onto dry flakes like the Nars Sheer Glow did on me. Because of the semi-matte finish, after it dries down, it looks powdery and dry on my skin. No, I don't think that it works well for my skin at all and makes it look obvious that I'm wearing foundation. Despite that, I can see this working for many normal to oil skins especially in the summer time if you don't have a problem with skin texture.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2013 8:47:00 AM More reviews by Laski

The sample I received was a bit too dark for me (even though the shade name "I40 Natural Fair Ivory" might imply a really light shade...that was a bit misleading for me), but I used it anyway. The finish was really mattified, but I didn´t like the look on the skin too much. It did provide coverage, but even when I applied it sparingly, I found it looked a bit cakey.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2013 8:09:00 AM More reviews by Yllsa

At first, it is a wearable product that provides a smooth, powdery finish upon application. But it doesn't last long, especially in tropical weathers. It's very soft, it should work fine in colder climates. Wont recommend to anyone in tropical countries.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 2:12:00 AM More reviews by MakeupFanNow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this foundation for a year and it is a HG item.

As others have said, you do have to work quickly and in smaller areas as it does set fast. I put a small amount on the back of my hand and use my Shiseido Foundation brush and stipple it over my face. Excellent coverage with great pigmentation. I have not had any transferring issues, this stuff stays put. I do use Cle de Peau concealer on the few spots the foundation can't hide.

I am getting dry skin as I get older, as long as I moisturize well before applying and a touch up much later in the day, this foundation lasts a good 6-8 hours.

I will be using this foundation for years to come.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2013 8:34:00 PM More reviews by nhuthao

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Skintone: NC35
Color in this product: Ochre 40

This foundation is great for everyday use. Overall it has light-medium coverage but somehow it manages to cover scars really well. I have very oily skin and this is the only dewy finish foundation that I like. The wear is not very long lasting - 6-8 hours and redness peeks through - but the other benefits outweigh this one minor con.

About the shade. It's hard for me to find a color that fits my skintone because my skin is medium with warm tones. I use Ochre 40 which looks so light out of the bottle, but once blended the color blends into my skin pretty well!

This can be difficult to apply if you have the wrong tool. It dries really quickly and can look patchy if you don't blend fast enough. I use a stippling brush and apply with my fingers to one area, blend with the brush and continue allover, doubling up wherever i need it.

I love this for the winter but this will probably be too dewy for me in the summer. I've found that as winter fades I like to mix this foundation with my Revlon PhotoReady foundation. The textures mix really well and don't separate on me throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2013 9:25:00 AM More reviews by agirlwithcakedupmakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using this foundation for over a month and I am loving it so far!I have combo/oily/acne prone (more on the oily side) skin. I find the finish to be "your skin but better" and the consistency is very liquidy but dries (very quickly) to a semi-matte finish. (I suggest doing one one section of your face at a time because it does dry that quickly.)
The coverage is medium in my opinion. I use the shade I40 and find it to be a perfect match. I love the packaging as well. Very light weight and since it's a plastic bottle it's very travel friendly. I do tend to get shiny within a few hours with any liquid foundation so I have to set this with a light layer of my Sheer Mattifying compact in I40, mostly just on my T-zone.
Coverage lasts all day, but I do have to touch up with a powder halfway through the day (that's just my skin though...if you're a more normal skin type, you may not have to).
So far I can report there have been no breakouts due to this product! yay!!! I will update with any changes but so far I am loving this and have had people compliment me with a "hey..your skin looks nice today!" so it must be good right?! hehe

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by Courtneykelly1818

I really like this foundation. The bottle is very small (still 30ml) great for travelling or fitting in a makeup bag. The coverage it gives is flawless and natural. You have to work fast with this product because it tends to dry very fast. If your skin is very dry you may want to stay away from this product or use a primer before application.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 2:24:00 PM More reviews by imago

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

One of my favourite! I like the pigmentation. It covers very well, but as it is liquid, then you dont get this heavy feeling and you really just need a little amount of the product.
It may get a bit shiny during the day, so you need some powder. Other than that, it has this mild illuminating effect, and makes my skin look very healthy and smooth.
The packaging is simple, but very convenient - no heavy bottles to bring along with you. I travel a lot, so this is very important that my make-up stuff wouldnt weigh too much, or take too much room. Best packaging that i have seen for a foundation.
So only negative side for me is the need for powder touch-up during the day.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/12/2012 10:57:00 AM More reviews by echoluster

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Went to sample this at Macy's yesterday in the quest for a new foundation as my Bobbi Brown standby for the past few years has been discontinued. I'm very fair with neutral undertones, and I've used Shiseido's Dual Balancing in the past. I thought I could get a good color match in this, and the coverage sounded closer to what I was getting from BB.

Nope! All the colors have a yellow cast. Unnaturally yellow in the 00 intensity. Couldn't get a color match on this. Too bad! If you're considering this one, try and get matched in person -- the colors are not one-to-one matches with the other Shiseido foundations.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2012 11:07:00 AM More reviews by CarolineSarwar

Worst foundation I have ever tried. The thing is, it looks beautiful on but it gave me the worst skin. I have clear skin and having worn this for a couple of hours, my skin broke out like crazy and it dried out to the point where I didn't think it would recover (it did though!) I ended up returning this, and I blame the lavender oil in this, which causes irritation when in contact with the sun. Bottom line: looks lovely on, but terrible for the skin!