October 25, 2014 | 1742 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 7:19:00 AM More reviews by Kremenka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Very, very nice product! A little piece lasts for weeks despite I use it once a day on my face, upper chest and back. It is drying, as someone had written bellow and sometimes I apply a moisturizer. But it does not cause my skin to produce "compensating" oil, which is an absolute miracle and in contradiction with my previous experience with sulfate-based cleansers. My skin tolerates it very well, still in winter I will change it with the Dark angels cleanser. The price is also very good, having in mind that an 9 Euro piece lasts more than 4 mounts (I have not yet finished my piece).

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2012 2:31:00 AM More reviews by priscillasdf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this cleanser in the morning when I do not need a strong cleanser. I love the simplicity of this cleanser. It is basically a bar of soap that removes all the oils I produced overnight but it does not completely strip my face and make it feel tight like a lot of other cleansers do. It has a tiny bit of coal particles which I like. I have issues with acne, but since using this product I have noticed that my acne is improving.

I also like that a little goes a LONG way. I purchased a ~$2.00 sliver the first time I tried it and it has lasted me over 2 months now. I am still working on the same sliver and it is going for 3 months.

There is no packaging for this product. You tell the sales associate how much you want and they cut and wrap it up for you like with their other solid soaps. I purchased a body butter tin a while ago and never repurchased a body butter so I decided to keep my coal face in the tin instead. It works great! The cleanser does not melt everywhere and you have a spiffy storage container for it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2012 10:19:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsCatEyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great for clearing pores Nd preventing blackheads. Very very drying. Must use with a substantial moisturizer. Otherwise, this can cause skin to peel - it is that drying.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2012 7:53:00 AM More reviews by VK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using Coalface for about two weeks on and off with ultrabland and my skin has got a lot worse. I have spots on my neck which is a thing I have NEVER had, even when I was a teenager. So the idea that it's getting impurities out (Skin gets worse before getting better) seems wrong to me as I have never had them on my neck. I blame this product for that. I would be very weary when getting it. I have a theory it is something to do with how the skin produces more oil when it is dry perhaps but seriously I am considering going to my doctor for a cure cause I haven't ever had skin like this.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2012 5:13:00 PM More reviews by phoebeweatherfield

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I say that I wouldn't repurchase because my skin has fairly permanently dried out and this product is now way too harsh for me. However, this soap is great for oily, acne-prone skin. It smells wonderful, and I love the idea of black soap. Back when my skin was oilier, it was a godsend.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by HausOfCanvas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product and use it all of the time. I even have my boyfriend using it. It is in bar form so it is convenient for in and out of the shower. I use this with Gorgeous by lush and the 2 go hand in hand. Love this product and will use it over and over again. They only thing that is not good about it is that it does not come with a case. Buy one from the dollar store. Problem solved.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2012 11:20:00 PM More reviews by CCatena

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I usually love lush stuff but was really disappointed in this product. My 21 year old got this for break outs, but told me it was to drying for her. I tried it for a few days and while I didn't find it drying, it was rough and gritty. Maybe if a guy with beard stubble tried it, it might work, but I ended up throwing it out. One of my few serious disappointments with them.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by Masia927

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This cleanser is a must have for me. I got a sample after my formerly pimply friend told me his face was so clear thanks to this cleanser. It does an incredible job of clearing up acne. Of all the Lush cleansers I've used this one was the best at clearing up my skin. However, when I moved away from the ocean and to a desert town, I found that it was too drying for my skin. I now use it at night (and herbalism in the daytime) or forgo it altogether if my face is really dry. It is mildly exfoliating as well which helps keep my skin from getting dull. I still always have it at home though because it's also the best thing I've ever used at clearing up body acne. I keep it in a little travel soap dish I got at Walgreens for 99 cents (don't waste your money on Lush's expensive tins). For reference my friend had very oily skin and I have combo skin (oily with dry patches).

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2012 8:28:00 AM More reviews by LGrant1995

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Before purchasing this product, I searched the reviews of it in order to simply see if I was wasting my time and money in buying coalface. The reviews I'd seen were rather negative towards the product, however, I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and use it on my face anyway.
Ironically, the price for coalface was 6.66, I suppose that is a clear indication of the, effectiveness, or coal face...
Before using this product, my skin was normal, not perfect with a few blemishes but rather clear, however, after using this product, I wanted to hide my face away for several weeks...
My face broke out! But they weren't normal spots, they turned into nasty scabs, even now, several months later, I have the scarring caused by this soap! Luckily, I used Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5 strength) and they cleared away in no time! Lucky I had that, goodness knows how long those hideous scabs would have stayed there for...
This is an honest review! The price is expensive, the smell is okay (It's coal, do you expect a miracle?!), there was no packaging (unless you count the paper it came with which fell to pieces after the first use). I recommend asking for a sample of the soap if you're still unsure; don't waste your money buying acne!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2012 6:22:00 PM More reviews by hannah275

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Used this cleanser as a morning cleanser to control oil
Pros: Good for controlling oil for a few hours, face feels 'squeaky' clean after using, makes into a good lather
Cons: Can be over drying to certain areas of my face like around my eyes and lips, if you don't like the smell of licorice then you may not like this
I had to stop using this product as it was irritating my eyes and lips making them too dry and wasn't keen on the smell. I moved to using LUSH fresh farmacy instead which I much prefer.