July 25, 2014 | 1159 users online

Foundations - Estee Lauder - Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup For Face & Body

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by GentleReader

For full coverage, this is my favorite foundation, hands down. I have very sensitive, acne-prone combo skin that breaks out within hours of wearing a silicone-based foundation. The fact that this product is mercifully free of cones is what made me curious about it to begin with, and I am so glad I tried it out! I can get a completely flawless, air-brushed complexion with this, without paying for it in a crop of those annoying acne papules......

It is the most full coverage product I've ever found. Redness, sunspots, PIH, etc. disappear under this. Being so opaque, application is really key to achieving a natural, non-cakey look--I apply a few tiny dots to the center of my face and then blend outward with a damp BB sponge or foundation brush (I've actually been using Sephora's Pro blending brush #134 for this, with good results). One thin, well-buffed layer is usually enough coverage, but if I have any residual redness or spot correcting to do, I apply a tiny bit more just to those areas. I do use a separate undereye concealer, but for my face, this product is foundation and concealer in one.

Oil control is moderate to good. I live in a warm, humid climate and if I don't set this it will start to look shiny after about 4-5 hours. But if I set it well and am mostly staying indoors, it lasts 10-12 hours, easily. Because it's so full-coverage, I typically only use this for nights out, or as a spot concealer on top of my CC cream for daytime wear. If wearing all over your face, you really need to moisturize prior to application or the pigment will cling to dry/flaky patches.

I have neutral fair skin (somewhere around NC 17) and the shade Creamy Ivory Light is a good match. However, EL is apparently introducing more shades with a wider array of undertones, and right now my color is impossible to find either locally or online :( So for now, I'm relying on the kindness of a Dillard's SA who gave me a sample. But as soon as the new shades are debuted, I'll be at the EL counter getting a shade match and hopefully a full tube to call my own!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2013 12:21:00 PM More reviews by Coke01

This my first review. I have used this product off and on for 4 years. I now use it daily. For reference I am 59 with somewhat senstive skin, a red nose, broken capilaries on my cheeks, dark circle under my eyes, but smooth skin with very minor wrinkling around my eyes.

I put it on the back of my hand first to warm it up. Less than a pea may even be too much, you can always go back for more. I start by applying a light layer on my nose, cheeks and circles. Then I go back and apply full face. If my cheeks are especially red I will then tap on any remaining product on to my cheeks. I almost always apply with fingertips as I find it gives this product a better finish.

I do use this foundation in several different ways that are very effective too. If my face is not too red I mix a small amount of ELDW with my Dr. Jart BB cream. This combo helps with slip and as others have said because of the limited color selection warms up the DW for me. I have also mixed it with MAC and Chanel foundations that I have but prefer the results with the BB.

Another reviewer also commented on the possible need for bronzer. I am very fair and bronzer does not work for me. But I do use MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Medium. I place a light dusting on my cheeks, top of forehead and under my chin.

This foundation can be very mask like if you start with too much. There is not alot of play time, which works for me because if I want to add another layer I am not just moving around what I have already put on.

My face will stay flawless from 7AM to 7PM without any touch ups. I can only speak to my skin but my face does need to be moisturized or I will develop dry patches during the day. You can see how well the product stays in place when you "try" to wash it off of the back of your hand, it takes work. I find it is easily removed from my face with cleansing oil. I always clean my face with oil and a microfiber cloth and this is highly effective.

I would highly recommend this product. It's not for everyone. But it can also be a great concealer, spot cover or mixed with moisturizer to thin out the product.

Edited to correct brand of BB cream

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2013 11:23:00 AM More reviews by clpersonal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this recently and have been using it for the past week and i love it so far! Although the color selection is really limited, if you can find a shade that matches you're lucky!! This provides even better coverage than Revlon Colorstay and is does not cling on to dry patches as much as Revlon CS. I like this more than Revlon CS except the price. Oil control is also better than Revlon.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by nikitax

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I swear I wanted to love this foundation because it really provides full coverage(covered my redness perfectly) it has a creamy consistency , and it blends like heaven. However, it will cling to dry pacthes and make your pores look incredibly H-U-G-E!!! I had to use Dr. Brandt -pores no more- , and it got better but still my face looked awful.

Please be aware that it contains bismuth oxychloride which is known to be a skin irritant to many. Definitely a no-no for people with rosacea.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Jesscarrollxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Best foundation I have EVER used!!!! I have used most "high end" foundations and nothing gives as much coverage and long wear as this foundation! I would only recommend this product if you really do have bad skin and do have imperfections to cover. Otherwise you may just want to try the standard double wear. Also one thing I didn't like about this product is it only comes in 7 shades unlike the normal double wear. Which comes in 20+ shades. I managed to find the perfect shade for me (creamy vanilla) but there are people that will struggle

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Melissaur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading all of the great reviews on this product, I HAD to try it. I went to the EL counter and the woman who helped me was wonderful, she let me know that the color selection was limited, but they are going to release more colors very soon (good news for those who reviewed and said not enough color choices!) I found a perfect match though with Creamy Vanilla. It covered up my acne scars and redness PERFECTLY! This is a VERY full coverage foundation. She let me know that it is important to be moisturized well because it does cling to dry patches if you have drier skin. I have oily skin so I don't really have that problem. So this is my first day of wearing it with my regular skincare routine all done beforehand (cleanser and moisturizer with SPF), and I am loving it so far. A little bit really does go a long way. I put the tiniest amount on the back of my hand and applied it with a foundation brush. It goes on like paint, but it doesn't feel heavy. I agree with the other reviewers that you should also put on some bronzer/blush because it evens out your face so much, you need to add some dimension back. It's been about 2 hours and I am still perfectly matte. I will update as the day goes on, but I have high hopes!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/22/2013 12:03:00 PM More reviews by kaye31

This is my first review on MUA and I just couldn't go on without writing a review about this product. A month ago (July) was my university graduation and so, a month before the event I went on a massive health-kick and skincare regime to get my skin as nicely as possible. Also, to go along with the whole preparation, I decided that I wanted a new set of makeup to use, so a month before my graduation I went to the different counters in the stores to try out their best foundations. Baring in mind that I'm the kind of person who's so meticulous about everything I do and spend my money on, I always go on MUA, Google and Youtube for product reviews before buying anything! My skin was fairly ok, not much acne but a lot of redness and hyperpigmentation from old acne breakouts - so I knew I wanted a foundation with good coverage especially since its my graduation.

Now as I've mentioned before, I went on different counters to try their foundation (NARS, Chanel, YSL, Urban decay, MAC) and some were good, some were bad. Now for some reason I decided to carry on my search and not stop at that. I have previously owned the Double Wear Stay-in Place foundation but unfortunately the SA gave me the completely wrong shade but I kept it anyway - so this time, I thought why not try and match myself to the actual correct shade and try that. I never had problems with the DW Stay-in Place foundation , it didn't cause any breakouts and I was happy with the coverage. But when I got to the counter, the SA said to try the DW Maximum Cover instead because it offers more coverage and less flashback than the Stay-in Place and hell, I thought why not!

Firstly, I don't have a problem with full coverage foundations, I actually like them - but even this was too thick for me! I can literally feel my pores getting clogged up. And I don't know if it's just because the SA didn't blend it fully enough, but the application was just too streaky and cakey - not smooth at all! Anyway, long story short, after trying this foundation, the next day I suddenly felt a few acne bumps starting to appear - and hell, I was panicking since that was just 3 weeks before my graduation! But the next few days following that, more bumps just started appearing and kept getting worse!! **And I didn't wear any makeup at any point during this month, except for when I was trying out these foundations, and I wasn't using any new skincare products or eating anything different**

None of the other foundations that I tried that whole month cause any breakouts for me but suddenly, after trying this DW Maximum Cover, I had a full blown cystic acne breakout! I have never had cystic acne but there I was acne all over my forehead, eyebrows, both cheeks, chin, and my whole neck - and I'm not even exaggerating. I didn't buy this product and I've only tried it once at the store but my face was ruined 2 weeks before my graduation.

So, moral of the story is that if you think that you have a very sensitive skin, that may be prone to getting your pores clogged very easily then just don't risk it! This happened at the end of June, it's now almost the end of August, so after 2 months my skin is finally starting to get back to the way it was. The fact that I had to go on antibiotics and use benzoyl peroxide to get rid of my cystic acne should tell you how bad the breakout that this caused me. I have never in my life ever had to take antibiotics or use topical treatment to treat acne. I also had to buy a whole new load of acne skincare products to use instead for the meantime to treat my skin. (Mario Badescu)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2013 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Dumbogrl

Sleek and pretty. My HG foundation/concealer hands down. BUY IT. YOU WON'T REGRET IT:]

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by hannahsnider

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my Holy Grail foundation. You only need the tiniest amount with a moisturizer underneath, and it works best when you use your fingers to smooth over the product in crease-prone areas such as the smile lines and under eye area, if you don't the pigment can and will settle there.

This covers EVERYTHING, and because it does YOU HAVE TO ADD COLOR AND DIMENSION BACK INTO YOUR FACE, if you don't it WILL look like a mask, so it is a must to either contour, add blush or bronzer.

Please keep this in mind when using this product, hope this helped somebody! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by TheNonchalentBottle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely swear by this foundation! If used wrong it can look Cakey though. I would say I'm an NC17 and 01 Ivory is a perfect match for me. One thing to mention though is YOU HAVE TO WEAR PRIMER/MOISTURISER BEFORE APPLYING for a smooth application. I use a mat tidying biore sunscreen as my skin is super oily. I use my real techniques stippling brush with this. On the seas where I need less coverage I buff it in, but on blemishes definitely stipple it in. I am super oily so I do have to blot after like 4/5 hours, but if you have normal skin, you wouldn't need to set the foundation with a powder. Overall, as someone with acne, I would for sure recommend to those with acne - I don't need to use a concealer with this which is perfect!