Revlon Super Lustrous Creme - Siren 677

on 10/28/2011 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

In case you haven't already heard, Revlon's Siren is a very creamy, dreamy peach-based orange shade with very slight hints of red. After succumbing the hype surrounding this orange drugstore shade, I found myself completely on the fence about whether or not I should get it. Even though I have quite a neutral skin tone, colors like orange, gold, and yellow really have a tendency to wash me out.
When googling and otherwise researching this shade, it seemed really hard to pin-point what exactly this color looked like. In some swatches it appeared to be this red-ish coral shade, while in others it as a neon, traffic cone-esque shade of orange, then in others it showed itself to be a subdued orange-peach sort of hue. Well, if you are now finding yourself just as confused as I was, let me just say that all of those swatches are correct. This shade (and the matching nail polish) is a true chameleon. Different lights reveal completely different nuances in this shade, drastically altering the way that it looks. While wearing the lipstick and polish, I had multiple people note that it looked completely different in multiple locations.
More florescent lighting shows it to be a peachy-orange shade, warm lighting gives it the appearance of being a blazing pumpkin type shade, and daylight makes it more a coral color. I won't lie, it's a really fun/interesting shade to wear just because of that. The only downside to this factor is that if warm colors aren't generally fantastic looking on your skin tone, you might run into some situations where this color really might not look how you anticipated. For the most part, I think it stays wearable because of that ever-present peach undertone.
The texture is one that all of the truly classic (albeit 'retro') shades of Revlon's Super Lustrous lipsticks share. They tend to be a bit more creamy and streaky than the newer formulations, but not to point that they slide around or are a mess to apply. If anything, I think the texture of Siren makes it buildable. If you're not ready to go all out with orange lips, patting this on or carefully giving it one swipe from the tube would be the perfect way to work yourself up to the more bolder, opaque types of application if you should choose. Siren isn't a shade that gets out of hand quickly at all.
I can't say what sorts of skin tones this lipstick would work best on, nor could I honestly say that it's the most flattering shade on me simply because of how drastically it adapts to different lighting. If you're in the market to test drive an orange shade, Siren might be a good place to start. It's buildable, has that nearly universal peachy sort of undertone, and is a great lipstick for those who just want to try something a little different.

on 8/4/2011 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

was very disappointed with this color. excited me waaay too much seeing such an orange color at a drugstore. in the tube it looks like wow! crazy orange and the swatch on the hand is pretty true to color but on the lips it turns out more lik a slightly bright pinkish red than it looks orange, but ppl will be able to tell that you're trying to go for an orange lips, its identifiable as orange, just leaning more on red. if thats what you're looking for, orange more on the red side then this is prolly for you but if you were looking for for an ORANGE color lik the actual fruit color, shiseido has one in Day Lily thats truly amazing true orange color with some shimmers. but the texture of this revlon one is nice and easy smooth application tho. no shimmers.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

First let me say that I am an absolute fanatic about orange and about bright colors in general.

I have more clothing, shoes, jewelry and accessories in varying shades of orange than any one woman has a right to. My bedroom is painted orange. I plan to buy an orange vehicle when at last it comes time to trade in my big blue cliche (minivan). I habitually wear makeup in tones of orange, peach, terracotta, apricot, rust, name it, if it's in the orange family, I wear it. I am a green eyed red head with a warm (read; sallow) complection, so it really works for me.

I tell you this so that you will know that wearing orange is not a huge departure for me and my disappointment in this lipstick has nothing to do with the fact that I just couldn't get used to the hue itself.

It's just not pretty ladies. It's really not. I'm seriously at a loss as to explain all the high ratings because I can't think of anybody that this color would be flattering on. Bright is one thing, I adore brights. But this is....way beyond that. There are several photos above that I question. Siren is definitely not a delicate, blushing peach. No way, no how.

I'm really having a hard time defining this shade, but it is not a true orange. Nor is it coral or apricot. There is a hint of something that makes it garish and cheap looking instead of chic and trendy and iconic as I was hoping. It's really bright enough to qualify as neon, in my opinion. I was hoping for orange creamsicle or tangerine dream and what I got was day-glo traffic cone.

Also, it's very, very drying, which I found peculiar, as I have many of the Revlon super lustrous shades and have never had that problem with any of the others. It seemed to emphasize and exacerbate any dryness and flaking on my lips and settled into every little crevice. Perhaps I got one that had been sitting on the shelf too long, I don't know. The coverage was not fantastic either. I found it very sheer and took far too much product to achieve a uniform coat. The finish was odd as well; not really frosty, but not creamy either. Strange.

I wanted to love this, I really did. But it's just horrible. If you want a nice orange lipstick, try Sandalwood Beige. It's a deep orange, (maybe terracotta is a better description) so not really the "it" color for summer, but very flattering and warm and versatile and infinitely more wearable than Siren could ever hope to be. It's one of my favorite lipsticks of all time. For something with a little more WOW factor, Covergirl Lip Perfection has a shade called Impassion that is a metallic/chrome orange and is awesome for a dramatic look. Or, for a more casual look, the Colorstay Mineral Lipglaze in Continuous Coral is really beautiful. Not true orange either, but certainly truer than Siren.

on 7/18/2011 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is one of my favorite lippies and I love the bold orange color for summer. I almost passed on this since I had moondrops orange flip but this is alot different and more of a vibrant color. A must have for those who crave brignt lipstick shades. Hope they never stop making this one.

on 7/8/2011 1:23:00 AM

I've been kind of obsessed with bright lippies lately and I have to say that Revlon's Siren is definitely in the top three of my favorite brights, along with MAC Toxic Tale and NARS Schiap. It is the perfect, fashion forward orange.

COLOR: In the tube, Siren is a true orange with very, very slight hints of red and coral mixed in for good measure. It is a creme, so there is absolutely no shimmers/glitters/pearls in it whatsoever. On my medium pigmented lips, it is slightly darker. However, I think the color in Siren on the lips is much better than the Colorburst Coral, for example, because you can still definitely tell it's a true orange, which is the look I was going for. Like most true oranges, I have to sadly say that this will probably only suit those with neutral to warm skintones (i'm NC20).

TEXTURE: Dreamy texture to the max! Opaque in a about two swipes. It has a nice light feel that isn't at all sticky or smudgey. It seems like the color really clings to your lips. I'd moisturize first because it can/will build up in the dead skin if there is any--it's not super noticeable like with some other lipsticks but it's not ideal.

WEAR: Lasts a long time for me, maybe 4-5 hours if I'm not drinking or eating. I don't have a problem with it drying out my lips but I always moisturize before application.

SMELL: None that I can detect at all. Love that.

PACKAGING: Simple, classic, functional. Simple normal-sized tube with gold. Top has a nice see-through window to see the color.

If you're looking for that iconic orange lip that's all over the place these days, you should definitely give this lippie a try. It applies as well if not better than most of my HE lippies and is amazingly bold and on-trend for a drugstore color product. Highly recommended!

on 6/17/2011 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Love this lipstick! Its a bright orange/coral color that looks intimidating to wear, but when actually worn, it looks gorgeous on my skintone. Highly recommended to wear during the summer!

on 6/3/2011 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got this lipstick on clearance at my CVS for ninety cents, which is why I gave it a "1" for price :) Judging from the majority of the pictures of this lipstick, I was pretty sure it would not be my cup of tea, but the one photo where it looked like a soft and tasteful peach shade had piqued my interest in trying this shade, so when I stumbled across it for such a cheap price, I just had to give it a try. Now, I'm practically 44 years old, and not into loud, bright, statement makeup. I want a naturally enhanced look from makeup...kind of a no-makeup, makeup look, but lipstick and eyeshadow are two items I will get a bit more adventurous with. Anyway, I'm happy to say that, applied lightly, I too can get this lipstick to look tastefully peachy on my lips like the one photo above. So if you too are curious about this shade, but don't care for neon bright lips, you can control the look of this lipstick with your application method. My curiosity is finally satisfied, and this lipstick now resides happily in my lipstick collection, instead of hitting the trash can. It was a good use of a dollar, IMO.

on 6/2/2011 11:58:00 PM

I wanted to get this because in the package it looks like that super bright orange that we are seeing all over the runway. So I got it and even tho it doesn't look neon on me, the natural shade of my lips tones down the orange to and awesome beautiful color that I can wear comfortably everyday. This may actually be my "red" lipstick!

Also, as a note, the picture of the model with the blue eyes and chambray shirt is not wearing revlon. she is an estee lauder model and is wearing tom pecheaux

on 5/30/2011 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Love this color! I was scared to try it at first...It looked a little too bright in the tube, but I'm glad that I gave it a try. It's a beautiful color. Great color for the summer...Not a bright orange on me at all. It doesn't dry my lips and the packaging is cute.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This lipstick is really pretty and you can have a bold lip or even tone it down a little by how many swipes you put on. I love this lipstick will look pretty on any skin tone.

Recommended for Medium Skin