November 28, 2014 | 1551 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by 92DingDong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

This product is absolutely amazing I use it on my eye makeup. I have super oily skin (to the point where you can literally drill for oil on my face...people say theirs a shortage on oil in the world well it's because it's on my face). It literally absorbs the oil so that my eye make up does not budge. No creasing, smudging or raccoon eyes here and I don't need to touch up. Now it does remove shine from my forehead and cheekbones for a couple hours (2-3 hrs) before I have to do a touch up...but It's worth it. As a person with extremely oily skin I have a hard time searching for products that reduce shine (aka actually works...some products claim to reduce shine but I find that they make my skin go into overdrive and cause my skin to shine even more). This product does reduce the shine.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by mrsuhmazing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

For a long time I was using MUFE HD Microfinish Powder and I couldn't stand the smell or that it had so many holes because powder would get everywhere or the white cast it would leave no matter how much you blended it. A lot of reviews on the MUFE powder suggested using this instead and this was everything I wanted MUFE powder to be. It leaves a soft airbrushed effect on my face, sets my foundation so it doesn't budge and doesn't leave that awful white cast. This has one hole which at first I loved because you could get out just what you needed but now that I've used quite a bit of the product it's becoming more difficult to get out which is really frustrating. I love this powder, I just wish they had one or two more holes!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by weirdhologurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I received a sample of this in a Sephora 500 pt gift pack. The powder feels amazingly soft to the touch, my skin felt like velvet when I applied it.

Sadly within an 2 hours my skin had an oily sheen to it, and by end of day nothing was set in place.

Looks great at first, but does not mattify or hold makeup in place throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by horder

Really does the job! didnt notice my pores reduce, but I dont use it everyday.my only problem is that its a bit pricy and the packing - sometimes its tricky and too muck product gets out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2013 7:23:00 AM More reviews by sarahdufour12

OK, I don't usually wear powder or want to spend money on powder, but my Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation (which I love) leaves my skin slightly dewy looking. I like this sometimes but not ALL the time, so I went to Sephora to pick up a Bobbi Brown powder.

The girl at Sephora told me to try the Tare Smooth Operator powder instead. She raved about it. I was unsure because it doesn't look like anything special in the package. However, I bought it and could not be happier. This product makes my skin look airbrushed and makes my makeup last 3-4 hours longer than it used to. Definitely worth the money, in my opinion!

I have very fair skin (the lightest shade of Bobbi Brown foundation). I have combination oily/dry skin, but I tend towards the drier side usually. I don't struggle with acne or blemishes, but my skin does get uneven and blotchy. This product actually seems to help with that. The packaging is kind of weird, as other reviewers have mentioned, but it's not annoying enough to keep me from buying it again. I would definitely recommend this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by faireyfantom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Other than price I don't have anything negative to say about this powder. It would be nice if this could be pressed to make it more portable unless it would alter performance. The powder itself is awesome though. Smooth like silk. It controls oil, sets foundation like a dream, and no irritation. I will continue to purchase. A little really does go a long way. No animal testing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by deeg031

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I found two samples of this powder in my makeup collection (freebies from either sephora, qvc, or birchbox I suppose). I have extremely oily skin, like my foundation will pool in the middle of my forehead oily, and this powder seems to keep the oilies at bay. I still have to blot around 4-5 hours after applying foundation, but the difference is very noticeable. Also, where this product really shines (get it?) for me is as an undereye setter. Not only does it keep my undereye concealer from moving but it also prevents my mascara from smudging. Looking at the 10+ tubes I have of unfinished mascara, I'd say this is a good thing. I will continue using it and will purchase the full size once I run out of my little samples.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 12:05:00 AM More reviews by scieszynski22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this product! It doesn't make me look ashy or powdery. I have some small acne scarring on my cheeks (little holes) that my foundation tends to settle in, and when I apply this product it makes that disappear. It doesn't settle into fine lines and it's truly transparent. Definitely my HG powder. Oh and a container of this lasts forever, I had the trial size from a tarte sampler that I received as a Christmas present last year, and I'm just now running out!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 8:49:00 AM More reviews by alina08

I like this powder as it is a fine powder that blends in easily to my skin. I layer it over my face powder for extra protection. However, there is a big caveat emptor, which is that the packaging is terrible. I mean absolutely awful. I have tried to retain as much of the product as possible, but it always settles into the space between the cap and the screw-on part and it leaks all over my makeup bag. As this is an expensive powder, I do not want to lose half of the product to the packaging but it is almost impossible to keep. For this reason, I would not repurchase the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2013 8:06:00 PM More reviews by Ubiq

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for about six months now and I really like it. It works well in a lot of situations for me, which helps me to justify the price.
I layer this over sunscreen to reduce the greasy look if I'm just stepping out for errands. It's also nice as a finishing powder over tinted moisturizer or foundation. Since it's clear, it doesn't alter the color of anything you put it over. I'm quite fair-skinned, but I bet it wouldn't make darker skin tones look ashy either. It really does disappear and doesn't have a whitening effect. But, if I had a darker skin tone I would get a sample at Sephora first, just to make sure.
The very best thing about this powder is that it doesn't play up all my fine lines. Most powders make me look like my skin is made of crepe paper, but not this one.
The bad thing about this is the price for me, but I will probably still repurchase.
The container also bugged me when I first got it because I felt like I was losing powder. It's very light and flies around a bit. However, after six months I'm not close to running out. I will say to make sure the cap is on tight because you'll lose some when you shake it to dispense otherwise.
I got a cute little sample one from Sephora that I carry in my purse and use for oil cover ups at work. It has never come undone but I always do a careful check of the cap. I use a little portable Ecotools brush and carry it in a makeup bag so it doesn't roll about.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No