October 2, 2014 | 1873 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by deeg031

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I found two samples of this powder in my makeup collection (freebies from either sephora, qvc, or birchbox I suppose). I have extremely oily skin, like my foundation will pool in the middle of my forehead oily, and this powder seems to keep the oilies at bay. I still have to blot around 4-5 hours after applying foundation, but the difference is very noticeable. Also, where this product really shines (get it?) for me is as an undereye setter. Not only does it keep my undereye concealer from moving but it also prevents my mascara from smudging. Looking at the 10+ tubes I have of unfinished mascara, I'd say this is a good thing. I will continue using it and will purchase the full size once I run out of my little samples.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 12:05:00 AM More reviews by scieszynski22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this product! It doesn't make me look ashy or powdery. I have some small acne scarring on my cheeks (little holes) that my foundation tends to settle in, and when I apply this product it makes that disappear. It doesn't settle into fine lines and it's truly transparent. Definitely my HG powder. Oh and a container of this lasts forever, I had the trial size from a tarte sampler that I received as a Christmas present last year, and I'm just now running out!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 8:49:00 AM More reviews by alina08

I like this powder as it is a fine powder that blends in easily to my skin. I layer it over my face powder for extra protection. However, there is a big caveat emptor, which is that the packaging is terrible. I mean absolutely awful. I have tried to retain as much of the product as possible, but it always settles into the space between the cap and the screw-on part and it leaks all over my makeup bag. As this is an expensive powder, I do not want to lose half of the product to the packaging but it is almost impossible to keep. For this reason, I would not repurchase the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2013 8:06:00 PM More reviews by Ubiq

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for about six months now and I really like it. It works well in a lot of situations for me, which helps me to justify the price.
I layer this over sunscreen to reduce the greasy look if I'm just stepping out for errands. It's also nice as a finishing powder over tinted moisturizer or foundation. Since it's clear, it doesn't alter the color of anything you put it over. I'm quite fair-skinned, but I bet it wouldn't make darker skin tones look ashy either. It really does disappear and doesn't have a whitening effect. But, if I had a darker skin tone I would get a sample at Sephora first, just to make sure.
The very best thing about this powder is that it doesn't play up all my fine lines. Most powders make me look like my skin is made of crepe paper, but not this one.
The bad thing about this is the price for me, but I will probably still repurchase.
The container also bugged me when I first got it because I felt like I was losing powder. It's very light and flies around a bit. However, after six months I'm not close to running out. I will say to make sure the cap is on tight because you'll lose some when you shake it to dispense otherwise.
I got a cute little sample one from Sephora that I carry in my purse and use for oil cover ups at work. It has never come undone but I always do a careful check of the cap. I use a little portable Ecotools brush and carry it in a makeup bag so it doesn't roll about.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

I really like this powder, it mattifies my face and keeps it shine free all day. Goes on light, doesn't feel caky & the best part: did not break me out.
I do blot, because I have oily skin, but overall, it keeps my makeup in place and my bluch lasting longer. I'm not too crazy about the price and the package. You really have to shake it or tap it to get a decent amount of powder on the cap.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/13/2013 12:07:00 PM More reviews by hanako283

I really loved the finish this powder gave to my makeup. It was truly translucent, and so finely milled. My face looked soft afterwards. However, I realized, after a year of usage, that it broke me out. I could tell it was this product causing it because I broke out on the bottom of my cheeks, exactly where I applied my powder, and I very rarely have any pimples there (although I get many in my T-zone). I am not sure which ingredient is causing this (I use the Amazonian Clay blushes with no issues). I am really bummed because otherwise, it was a great powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 2:08:00 AM More reviews by MissBotch

Great powder! Keeps my face oil free for hours. I think the cost it's worth the quality. Packaging could have been better though.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by white05mustang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this product after reading all the rave reviews, not only on here but other sites as well. I had previously been using the Bare Escentuals mineral veil for YEARS and just was not happy with the oil control any more. I have been using the smooth operator for just a little over two weeks along with my NARS foundation and primer and it is just an okay product to me. It doesn't keep me matte all day as some people say, but I do have super oily skin... the type that I can wash my face at night and be an oil slick when I wake up the next morning. I had been getting about 5 hours of oil control with the mineral veil and I get about 8 with the smooth operator. It's a slight improvement This may seem like a lot of matte time to some people, but I am a nurse and work 12-hour shifts so I don't have time for touch-ups. Looks like I am still looking for my HG mattifying powder for those 12-hour shifts.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by Shortcourt0

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this powder! I tend to switch back and forth between this and the MUFE HD powder but for a few bucks cheaper I think the Tarte one works just as well. I have a small sample jar that I have been using for the past few months and it has lasted me awhile so a little goes a long way. I love how it mattifies my skin and controls oil throughout my work day. It always makes my skin feel really soft, I have to remember to not touch my face too much though. Works well and lasts a long time. I apply it using a big fluffy brush that I dab onto my skin and push into my pores then I gently use the brush to swipe off any excess. I think it is a very good powder, there are a few cheaper options that I haven't tried yet so I will keep that in mind when I run out. I do really like the Aqualilies packaging though so if it still is available when I run out I might splurge on that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by harls321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It is a must have for my oily skin. Takes away the shine and smooths out my pores. Gives an airbrush finish. Unfortunately like all of the AC products it causes my skin to break out.