July 24, 2014 | 2039 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2009 8:05:00 PM More reviews by opie1

Wow- I am so glad this site and all you wonderful reviewers exist. i never would have known about this otherwise. i was always a shave everyday kinda girl - living in florida and indian with dark hair - lousy combo. I tried waxing - too expensive and who has the time? I had a friend who worked in a medical clinic laser me - 2 months later- no change!!!! ARGHHH!
anyway- read about this - bought it the next day - bed/bath n beyond with a coupon - tried my legs first.. hurt but not bad. arms - easy!
then underarms - OWWW .. learnt to go get waxed there - wait 4-6 days then epilate- awesome!
things i have learnt:
1. epilate at night after a shower/scrub - i use a japanese bath cloth that is awesome (salux @ amazon)
2. start off with once a week - wax sensitive areas first - upper thighs/underarms for me
3.use a good chemical exfoliant lotion too - amlactin - once a week
I epilate- arms, underarms, legs and face - chin/upper lip
within 1 month hair is noticeably finer and soft - no harsh stubbly areas

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2009 3:12:00 PM More reviews by MammothNoisesSilence

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review's for the Silk-epil xelle, which was $45 on clearance from drugstore.com.

This comes with a regular epilating head (which has two speeds), a "starter" head with less tweezers, and a massage roller addition. I skipped the starter head and the massage rollers were useless. I have very fair skin and though my hair on my arms and legs is pretty fine, it grows back very quickly (get stubble within 24 hours after shaving).

Update: this has continued to work great on my bikini line. I personally find it almost painless there. I finally tried it again on my legs (first time since previous review where my legs were horribly red and irritated for days) and this time got MUCH better results - it was about a month later so I had full regrowth, but I guess I just knew how to use it better. The best way, from what I'm seeing, is to go SLOWLY all the way up one half of your leg (or a quarter of your leg if you can't handle it), try to remember to keep breathing, and so on. First time I did short little strokes because of the pain and it took me 3 days to lose the red marks and my legs looked terrible - also, the pain is much better if you try to get it done quick. This time, I did it less than 24 hours ago and my legs have no redness. I find that shaving over them even when there's no hair left helps them feel a bit smoother, guess it just exfoliates off some of the skin that gets pulled around when the hairs are ripped out of your body...for me, the most painful area was the upper inside edges of my calves. I haven't tried my armpits because I don't mind shaving them but I might give it a go eventually.

Can't really emphasize enough how awesome it is for the bikini line. Train yourself to get in an awkward squat position and you can get hairs towards the back you can't really see. However...I could never use this on the really innermost hairs - holy jesus it hurts so bad. Only way I can describe the feeling of an epilator getting near your labia is the same horrible panic sensation I imagine you would feel if you caught your hair in a blender in the moments immediately before a horrible death. I use this pretty regularly on my bikini line now and regrowth is so, so much less than before.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2009 3:55:00 PM More reviews by iluvjellybabies

I'm reviewing the Braun silk-epil x'elle, european model. For reference, I'm pale skinned with very dark, black hairs that curl (I get a 5 o'clock shadow when shaving my legs...). I've previously owned an epilator from Philips (Satinelle) and the Braun silk-epil x'elle is much, much better. Yes, it can hurt at first but the pain does get better. It is really hard to comment on the amount of pain since everybody's different and have different reactions to pain. I normally have a low pain treshold, but I can epilate my legs with this no bother. My armpits make me cringe (but not cry!) but it's bearable and after a while the pain subsides. The bikini line has been a no-go area until now and it's still rather sore, but I'm sure it'll get better with time.

This epilator has several different heads, one for beginners (it has less "tweezers" than the normal one), one for normal use and a shaver head if you just want to shave an area. It also has attachments such as massage rollers (to lessen the pain) and an efficiency attachment which "scrapes" at the skin and lifts the hairs up before epilating. I don't like the efficiency attachment at all, it scraped my skin raw and DO NOT use it under your armpits if you don't want fire pits! I'm not sure if the massage rollers actually lessen the pain but I use them anyway and they work grand.

Before I use this I use exfoliator gloves to get rid of all dead skin cells and buff up the hairs so the epilator catches them easier. I then go over the area very slowly with the epilator, holding it parallel to the skin. I don't need to pull the skin taut on my legs but when I epilate my armpits or bikini line I do that since I find it lessens the pain. I have never had the courage to try it on my face but might now that I've read here about people doing it.

For me this is a great buy, I have never been able to afford waxing and shaving irritated my skin something terrible. This works great and as time goes by, and you're able to use it on more areas other than your legs, it's just so economical to use! A great buy and I would recommend it to anybody!

Price: I paid Ä70 for this but I've since seen it sold for about Ä50-55 in both Boots and Argos.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2009 2:24:00 PM More reviews by MakeFetch

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Purchased at Amazon for $45.

This has become my new HG product. I was a lifelong shaver but now have completely converted to the Braun. My underarms, legs and bikini are hair free for weeks on end. I just love it.

I would say that I have a medium tolerance for pain. This thing hurts but you get used to it. It feels like being snapped with small hot rubber bands.

Lip: Most painful but it's over pretty quickly
Legs: Least painful but takes a long time on my long legs to get smoothness
Underarms: Painful but over in a less than 30 seconds if you can stand it.
Bikini: Moderate pain
Arms: It hurt but I also neglected to trim my arm hair before hand

Cons:
Somewhat hard to clean
Not for use in the shower
The head is large for upper lip use

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 2:50:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Iíll start by being honest; epilators arenít meant to be pain free. Itís basically mechanic tweezers, so you have to expect some painÖ

Now for the good news; the BRAUN SILK-EPIL XPRESSIVE 7781 WET & DRY is a lot less painful then other epilators Iíve tried. Yes, it still stings a bit, but you will become tolerant to it, and will hardly notice it after a full uses.

The main selling point of this product is that you can use it in the bath or shower. Warm water = youíre more relaxed. Youíll only feel a slight sensation; itís like pinging an elastic band against your skin. Why is it only knowthat the makers made an epilator suitable for bathtime use?

This also hurts less when used on dry skin. This is because the epilator has massaging rollers, to relax your skin. In fact, itís so much gentler then other epilators. itís also suitable for underarms, the bikini line & the face. Although if youíre nervous about using it on more sensitive areaís, like these, you can remove the epilating head & attach the (included) razor + trimmer head.
As well as the massaging rollers & the razor head, youíll also get 3 different caps for the epilator, to ensure the best results.

Another big point in BRAUN SILK-EPIL XPRESSIVE 7781 WET & DRY favour is the speed & ease of use. Itíll pick shorter hairs, no matter which direction theyíre laying in. I donít have to keep running it over & over the same area.

Another simple yet effective feature is the built in light, thatís help you see any hair youíve missed.

I find epilating a lot preferable to waxing; you donít need to wait a few weeks for the hair to grow long enough for the wax to be able to pick it up & besides, I think the BRAUN SILK-EPIL XPRESSIVE 7781 WET & DRY hurts less. You wonít cut yourself, like with razors. Isnít that annoying? Having to shave every other day, then nicking your leg so you have to cover up anyway?

Yes; this model is expensive. But consider how much you'll spend on waxes, removal creams, razors & shaving cream. An epilator is cheaper & convienient in the long run. I've been fuzz free for a week so far. I'll update this review later...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2009 1:44:00 AM More reviews by jaqi16

I have the Braun 7280 Silk-Epil Xpressive Epilator (I have the Remington Silky Smooth, and the Emjoi Gentle Gold Caress in addition to this one). This one is by far the most efficient. It can get even the shortest hairs (my hair is dark and course), both fine and course. Basically if I could see it enough to tweeze it, this would be able to get it without a problem. It has some special lift mechanism with 40 tweezers which really works well to get all the hairs. Looking at it at first I didn't think it would be able to get anything since the head is very different looking than the others. And it works really well with no power loss on slightly moist (like out of the shower 3 minutes ago) skin (unlike the Emjoi which is worthless unless your skin is bone dry/dehydrated). It has an attachment to use this as a shaver/trimmer, it has a beginner cap, a massage cap and an efficacy cap. I didn't think the massage cap would do anything, but I like that one the best (it makes it feel a little more comfortable and seems to lift the hairs even better than the efficacy one). It is super easy to clean because you can run the head under he faucet. If I could only have one epilator hands down I would choose this one. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, but I also saw it on amazon. Cheapest I saw it was about $80. If you are looking for a good epilator I highly recommend this one!! Pic>>>
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by sofaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about five months now, and I have to say I really love it! I don't have to worry about shaving for atleast a week, with just a few touch ups here and there. It's pretty convenient, it's easy to use and it comes with many shaving heads for you to try. It does hurt the first time, as the other reviewers said, but as you use it more the pain will get less and less. I use it on my legs, arms, and underarms. Legs and arms are virtually pain-free, it just sort of feels like a little pinch. Underarms are a lot more painful, I'm still getting used to the pain, but honestly, it's worth the pain because you don't have to keep doing the tedious task of shaving every day/every other day. It is a bit expensive, I bought mine at London Drugs for around $110 after tax (Canadian), but I think it's better than having to keep buying razors. With this, you buy it only once, and that's it. also, when I bought this, it came with a one year warranty. I've recommended this to all my friends because it's a great tool to have and I think it's worth every penny. You won't be disappointed!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2009 12:13:00 AM More reviews by jklimas

This has changed my life. I seriously mean it. I can wake up and not have to worry about shaving anymore. OK, the first time hurt quite a bit, but honestly the follow-ups are barely noticeable (and I have coarse dark hair). I would recommend this to anyone. Got a few ingrowns the first time, but I use am-lactin lotion 2-3x a week and no more problems with that. I use on legs, arms, and underarms. I touch up once a week, but could go longer.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2008 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Serious1y

Love epilating, yes it hurts for awhile but it is sooo worth it. When it hurts thats good that means the hair is going!! And it lessens dramatically the more you do it.

As for this epilator, it does well. The light is a VERY useful addition and as they go it is pretty efficient. I dont know if it is just me but the bars which hold the little *massaging beads* seem to work out of the holder so I have lost the entire lower row of beads, that really doesnt matter though, they do help at first but as it really doesnt bother me now I am not bothered either way.

I would love a new and improved version of this to come out, I would definitely buy it but I would like to see it do more for me, no idea in what way but hey thats not my job!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by xfoxglove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This review is for the Xelle Silk-Epil epilator. I bought this on amazon when I lost my Emjoi epilator. I was kind of miffed at forking over 60 bucks for this thing (20% off on black friday), but ever since I got it, I am so glad I lost my Emjoi.

I tested this out on my arms. I have blonde hair on my arms, which I don't need to get rid of, but I just prefer it to be gone. I was shocked that with one small swipe there was a clean patch of skin! With my Emjoi epilator, I had to stay on the same spot for a while, using circular motions and it would still miss some hairs.

This thing has some great features. The built-in light is genius and it helps you make sure you haven't missed a spot. And the head with the massagers seemed to help, it might have been me thinking it would, but there was less pain for me. I'm not saying this is pain free though!

There was only a slight stinging on my arms, but when I tried my legs, where the hair is coarser, the pain was more intense. But honestly, that's in the nature of epilating! The product is supposed to be ripping out hair, so I just take a deep breath and tell myself to buck up! The results are so worth it!

The only think that bothers me is that it's a bit noisy. Less noisy than a hairdryer, but I probably won't use it if my roommate is in the apartment.

In general, with epilating, my hair is growing back finer. I don't think that plus is specific to this product as mine grew back finer with my Emjoi, but it's definetly a plus! And when the hair grows back it's not stubble, like when you shave.

I would repurchase if I ever lose this one, but I honestly hope I never do! I'm so pleasantly surprised with this product!