Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense [all shades]

4.3

on 5/17/2011 3:25:00 PM

I bought Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge. It was well worth the price. It's a perfect shade for the classic red lip look. I have tried several brands of red lipstick and lipstains and this is the only one that lasted for several hours. After lunch it faded and smudged a bit, but I will try it with lip sealant next time. It is a bit pricey, but it is well worth it. I have spent more money trying various drug store brands, but none of them compared. I even think it lasts longer than Mac's Russian Red. Definately would recommend this to anyone going for that old hollywood look. Great product! The red lipstain is great, too!

on 4/14/2011 8:22:00 PM

Ok, I found another 'nude' that fits the bill (mine, anyway). I got MUFE's Artist Intense in #28. A gorgeous pink brown (more brown than pink). Mind you, when I say 'nude,' I don't mean uber-light beige or pink. I HATE chalk-colored lips. They look so silly, so unnatural. They remind me of those middle-aged bimbos, who go about with bleached hair, tanned skin, and surgically-enhanced chalky lips. Donatella Versace, anyone? Yuck, no!

Anyway, this is MLBB. It makes my lips look defined and polished, but natural. A very elegant color. I also love the satiny texture. Those of you who find it too drying might want to use a bit of lip balm underneath. I would certainly recommend and repurchase.

on 3/30/2011 8:51:00 PM

LOVE this lipstick !! i bought nr 40 and nr 42 and they are both lovely. my favourite is nr 40 though just because ive been looking for a orange lipstick and i thought this was the perfect shade i was looking for and then when i tried it i was just stunned over the pigmantation and how soft and creamy it was. it masted all night without any touch ups even after eating and drinking with it it looked amazing
im going to try get my hands over some more of these !! i cant buy MUFE where i live so its going to be a bit difficult - but totally worth it

on 3/22/2011 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

My first Make Up Forever lipstick, in #13. It's a beautiful color but I agree with others that it is too drying and I'm not a big fan of the smell. Wouldn't repurchase unless and until a revamp of the forumula, addressing these issues, is performed.

on 3/15/2011 4:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

MAKE UP FOREVER HEAD QUARTERS: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE NEVER TAKE ROUGE INTENSE LIPSTICKS AWAY FROM ME AND PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE EXPAND THE COLORS!!!!!!

No words can explain how much I love you... I do* :)

on 2/2/2011 4:49:00 PM

I love these lipsticks for their pigmentation and color range. Plus, I'm just a fan of MUFE in generally. I've only got satin colors, so I can't speak for any of the other formulas

The formula is slightly drying, but nothing I can't deal with because it's still creamy and feels smooth. It doesn't have the slightly thick "grittyness" or friction I feel in some drugstore lipsticks.
I have #36 and #46, which are satin fuchsia and satin burgandy? respectively. The colors are vibrant! with one swipe and last pretty long. I'm not someone who wears lipstick on a daily basis so I haven't done any wear tests. Plus I tend to do the stained/blotted lipstick look. After applied they do transfer and fade, but since they stain, it's pretty hard to completely get rid of the color without soaking your lips in oil and rubbing. The staining is how you know it's good :)

The price is pretty expensive, but the lasting power and pigment means a tube should last you longer.

on 1/29/2011 3:09:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I am reviewing shade # 43 Moulin Rouge. in my photo, from left to right are;
1. Dior Diorific in # 013 Roulette Red ( what Nicole Kidman wore in Moulin Rouge film, from what I've read, with Clinique's, Think Red over top)
2. Make Up Forever Rouge Artist Intense # 43 Moulin Rouge
3. MAC RubyWoo
4. MAC Russian Red
5. Mac Brave Red

Actually , the left to right photo arrangement of the red lippy group is indicative of my preference with my most favorite starting on the
left.
First off, I’d like to say that aside from it's rich vibrant color, the packaging of Moulin Rouge is also fantastic. Makes me think; Dark strange naughty under a cloud of smokey perfume. It's a pow pow cherry iconic Hollywood glam red, alright and it almost seems like it takes a few seconds to "light up" , similar to when you turn on flourescent lights and a bit of flickering occurs before they are all consistently bright and alive(Probably not unlike the Moulin Rouge, herself). But then....Moulin Rouge delivers the goods with a “You rang???? The sirens start wailing and it's business time! Don't be surprised when you generate a little extra attention when wearing this. Men will be unable to stop staring and this will confuse them a bit because they won't even notice your boobs as they will be so mezmerized by your luscious red lips. # 36 Satin Fuschia is another daredevil lipstick that has this same effect. Maybe they should call this stuff, “Boobylips”.
MUFE # 43 is the red I looked for but did not find at MAC, it's also just a teeny bit less vibrant than Diorific Roulette Red, which remains my heavyweight champ red lippy. This stuff is messy though and gets all over the place and reminds me of why I did not wear reds for a very long time. So I will definitely have to adopt the lip primer routine and start using liner. It does not seem to dry my lips out and I also know this to be true from wearing the Satin Fuschia #36 that I adore and wear all the time. I would repurchase this, only if I could not get a hold of the Diorific but would most certainly again, purchase other lipsticks from the Rouge Artist Intense line, it's stunningly gorgeous! I'm quite pale and am cool toned with blonde hair dyed dark auburn and this is a dynamic wearable red for me. I don't find it as blue as the Ruby Woo and Russian but it just has a perfect temperature and it doesn't throw off any orange. Shows your white teeth off too and doesn't make them appear yellowish in contrast like some red lipsticks will. I love Ruby Woo and Russian Red and it's not that I like them less all around but they are just different kinds of reds.
A Sephora rep recently told me that the Rouge Artist Intense lipsticks are so pigmented that if they had any more pigment , they would crumble. I believe it, it doesn’t take much and a little goes a long way with this stuff. It even stays on after eating and drinking but I can guarantee, it got on everything you ate and drank ( non alcoholic drink is implied, who knows what would become of a sauced up broad wearing this? shudders) I would definitely recommend some kind of sealer to keep this off anyone you hug. Aunt Shelia will not appreciate pigment packed lipstick on her Chloe sweater. Do not kiss your date unless you have thoroughly sealed this lipstick and please please do not attempt to eat a burrito either. You’ll have lipstick all over your face and whatever happened with Baby Jane won’t matter because you will be the one looking like one serious nut job. Seriously, seal it or opt for the Diorific.
I encourage everyone to try a brave new lipstick. This is an, albeit, pricey lipstick but you can find mini tubes inexpensively on Ebay and also on MUA, most likely it's the #36 that went out in a November Sephora sample promo. Most tossed it aside (I did too at first!) and thought, "no way would I wear this bright pink grandma lippy", but a few days later, I had just finished brushing my teeth and the little rectangular tube ( is it still considered a tube if rectangular?) on the vanity, caught my attention. Now I had only intended to, as a goofball, try this crazy lipstick on with some feather earrings, massive sunglases and go sashay around until my husband looked up alarmingly from the newspaper, raised an eyebrow and shook his head( occurs quite frequently because I do things like; make a cat food candy necklace for the cat or don an ornate Peeps headress or consider peeing in my vegetable garden ). So, I applied a good coat of the crazy pink granny lipstick and, unexpectedly ,ended up LOVING #36 very very much and it was my first daredevil lipstick and #43 Moulin Rouge is my second and I anticipate trying more of them.

Full Size Image

on 1/25/2011 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was so excited to try the MUFE matte rouge artist when it arrived because I usually love most of their products... But I was very disappointed with the texture of this lipstick. It's so dry and chalky! It doesn't glide well on the lips. You will need some lip balm underneath. And it also has a strong scent like one of those lipsticks from the 80s. The quality of this lipstick is just blah... there's really nothing special about it. I have tried Nars, Illamasqua, Revlon, MAC, even Jordana's matte line... and they're all better than MUFE's. Although I decided to keep the lipstick because the color is nice, I won't repurchase. Sorry MUFE! You have to improve this line.

on 1/18/2011 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I bought three of these when they were first released and ending up returning all of them to Sephora. I have a few MUFE products that are staples, but these were incredibly disappointing.

The color range is fantastic and I love that there's so many options for almost any effect you're going for... matte, pearly, satin. That's what drew me to the line. Plus I had read a few reviews in magazines raving about the unique colors.

Good price point, minimalistic (and unremarkable) packaging.

I ended up choosing #15 (pearly violet), #4 (matte antique pink), and #49 (satin blueberry). All of them I bought sight unseen from Sephora's website before they were even carried in stores. When I received them I was happy with the colors after I swatched them on the back of my hand. But once applied on my lips they were just awful. These were so incredibly drying! I can't believe how my lips looked with these on. The color applies unevenly and each formula seemed so unflattering. I don't suffer from dry lips or cracks or anything and I felt so unappealing in every single one.

Even when I used a lipbrush to apply they still went on uneven and flat somehow. I don't expect a matte formula to look shiny and luminous by any means. But I also don't expect it to be dull, flat, and chalky either. The pearly and satin versions were no better. I felt like I had to scrape these across my lips and then spend time fixing every single aspect for my lips to look decent. To be honest I think I could probably find a drugstore lipstick that was better in most respects.

For an intense, beautifully pigmented effect I'll stick with my Dior Rouge Dior, Chanel Rouge Coco, and Giorgio Armani Rouge d'Armani lipsticks.

on 1/10/2011 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I wanted something bold and different, so I went into Sephora looking for the perfect lipstick. One of the sales associates had on MUFE's Pearly Violet (#15) and I was sold. I am fair skinned, but if I wear blush, this works. I don't wear it that often because it is SO bold and intense, but I love when I do get to wear it. It is my favorite lipstick. The price is a bit much, but it's worth it because I've never seen another brand with a lipstick this color (at least not as good of a brand). I'd like to pick up a couple more MUFE lipsticks when I get some extra money. I HIGHLY recommend this. If you're looking for something edgy, different, and extremely fun, get Pearly Violet! It is amazing!

Popular Lipsticks