October 31, 2014 | 1652 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2014 5:40:00 AM More reviews by encee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

To start with, I have adult acne that usually appears on the cheeks & forehead. These are the irritating cystic ones & I would grapple at things to put on it once they make their appearance. This product was recommended by a friend whose acne doesn't seem to look worse than mine. First night of usage, I woke up to soft, supple skin, with the impression that the comedos had somehow melted overnight. My skin seemed to be improving, apart from softness... skin texture looks slightly refined, seems to be controlling oil under makeup as a base, im so pleased with this instant magic. However on the 4th day, some demeaning cysts appeared on the cheeks, as well as smaller ones, on the common trouble areas. Im not the lucky ones that went happy without a purging effect. I wish to think that it's purging, instead of the product just being wrong for me. So once the acne appears, I would go back to my Estee Lauder ANRS2 to normalise it. Fab product for cystic-acne sufferers, but gotta brave through the purging phase.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2014 6:18:00 AM More reviews by jdublew

I have reactive/sensitive acne prone skin. I tried this twice. used this as a moisturiser and I broke out in an itchy rash all over my face. .For some reason I tested this on my underarm and got no reaction before applying on my face which reacted . So sadly not for me

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2014 10:03:00 AM More reviews by amybar1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm writing a review after using and finishing a whole bottle of this product. I live in UK so I guess it's not the same formula as States. Anyways, this product has done nothing to me, neither prevent break-out, neither make my acne scars go away or at least fade a bit. I've been using this product morning and nights. Pure argan oil does such a better job in smoothening skin and making scars fade away, I wouldn't definitely waste my money in this product that have such high claims.
Such a shame, it did had amazing review on Paula's choice, but didn't worked out for me at all, I have the same amount, even more now, of pimples. Pointless.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2014 4:12:00 AM More reviews by sgordeevs

Really an amazing product! It smoothes my skin, evens out the skin tone and hydrates it. My skin just looks so different and bright with this product. It also does not irritate my skin one bit.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2014 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Teenitinytina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I am on my second tube of it. At first after running out the first tube I decided to look for a cheaper alternative but my skin returned to its pre- effaclar duo condition. I don't have terrible skin or acne. I only get hormonal pimples around my mouth and chin area. It works so well to quell the pimples from getting bigger. BTW I buy it from shoppers drug mart in Canada.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2014 8:59:00 PM More reviews by etoileviolette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have bought and re-bought this product numerous times. This is my HG acne product. Let me start by saying I have the Canadian/European version of this, in that it contains salicylic acid and not benzoyl peroxide like the U.S. version. I came across this product when I was buying Clean & Clear Persa-Gel (benzoyl peroxide) cream at Shopper's Drug Mart and the beauty expert ringing me through told me that it (the Clean & Clear) was horrible/destructive on skin and gave me samples of this product. I cannot thank her enough! This is the best! It smells vaguely of orange blossom (IMO), is a cross between a serum and a cream, and very light and gentle on the skin although effective. This product has helped me keep my skin (relatively) clear for the last 4 years. Initially, I'd use this every day, morning and night. My skin seems to have changed overtime, so I only use this every so often; when I notice my skin is congested (a certain time of the month) or I've been eating poorly. I don't break-out like I use to. I might be clear for a couple months and then get the odd pimple, although it clears up so much faster when I use this product. When I use this in the morning, I typically use a moiturizer over top since my skin has become dehydrated as I've gotten older; nothing over it at night, though. Best part: no benzoyl peroxide, no more ruining my clothes/towels/sheets! My skin isn't super dry, flakey, and irritated! In addition, it works really well under make-up, not pilling on the skin. (I wouldn't say it replaces a primer, but doesn't cause make-up to wear faster than if your skin was bare/moisturizer only.) I love/believe in this so much that I will definitely buy this for my children when they are teenagers to help with their skin, if they inherit my & their father's acne.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2014 10:03:00 AM More reviews by TaylorD1234

I bought this product last summer to try and get rid of the on going spots that I had on my chin. I applied this all over my face and went to sleep. The next morning I was shocked when I looked in the mirror my chin reacted VERY badly to this it was red and sore and the spots looked a lot worse than they had been the night before. It took me ages to get my chin under control again
Before this product I had a lot of under the skin bumps all over my forehead but within a week there was a huge difference on my forehead, it was 100% clear.
I am currently on my second tube of effaclar duo and only use it on my forehead. I find this product quite oily so would choose a different product for those with oily skin,
I would recommend this product to people with under the skin spots on forehead because that is where it worked best for me but I definitely won't be using it on my chin again !

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by andnya

I think the best reviews are the more detailed, so I decided to do something more personal in case somebody can relate.
When I was about 15 I had extremely normal skin, no acne, just freckles. Now I'm 22, full of acne and no freckles. From normal skin to oily and dehydrated (one of the most difficult skins to deal with).
I've been suffering with acne for about 5 years (about a quarter of my life has been surrounded by these little annoying guys), I've had my worst and also my best skin (weird) during this period of time.
I've taken different birth control pills, antibiotics and have changed my eating habits; I can't say nothing worked, but nothing lasted.

About 5 months ago I started getting those annoying pimples again, mainly around my jaw area, so I started re-taking more care, but they still grew, and, by the end of the year there wasn't a day that I didn't wake up depressed, with my face hurting and wanting to sleep forever (or, at least, until my face decided to collaborate with me). I discovered that I had one specific masculine hormone (that we all have, and can't remember the name) a little bit high, so I came back to the birth control pill...and the antibiotic. They weren't doing a great job this time, or, at least, they didn't start working until I started using Effaclar Duo (which made me break HORRIBLY the first week, and I'm still recovering BUT, after months, I can, finally, see clear skin). I'm about 40% clean (two weeks into it; keeping my routine simple) so I still have a couple of weeks left to improve, but so far so good.
The thing that I love the most about it, is that it genuinely feels like nothing on your skin (which can be bad, as it can lead to overusing it and being a snake for a couple of days -I learnt parseltongue in case I needed to join a snake gang or something). And about the tingling; I don't feel it every time I use it, so don't panic if you don't neither -it's working but not as intensively!! :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by sarahellen1980

I have combination skin and and not too many spots (but I want none!). This gel does absolutely nothing for my skin. Usually with a gel like this you would notice slightly drying spots the next morning, but no change for me. This went to the back of the bathroom cabinet and will soon be demoted to the bin :(

***UPDATED*** I have updated this, as I got a sample of the new Effaclar Duo+. Wow! My skin is fantastic. I use this every night an day, great as a make up base, and it clears up my skin. Win, win win, can't believe this is the same product as the original. Fantastic.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/11/2014 9:42:00 AM More reviews by itsstella

I have used countless bottles of Effaclar Duo from last year and it works perfectly fine and it does have all those features that most bloggers reviewed on, good primer, good moisturizer and so on. However, after using it for a long time, the actual use (corrective and unclog anti-perfection) declines, up until this point i am still using this (which is going to my last one) but I would probably stop if the effects aren't that obvious.