Urban Decay NAKED

4.6

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

I was given this as a gift. I liked using it to do other looks for people. The two mattes were my fav. and I hit pan on them. I think it's nice for younger eyelids but for me I hardly ever reached for it because they all ended up looking the same on me. I did do a few looks with the gunmetal colour and a nude lip and liked it but I gave it away because there was no reason to keep a palette for 3 colours that are duped in other palettes. This is nice but not anything super special - for me.

I have the Naked palettes 1 and 2. I love how these eyeshadows look when they are first applied, they are easily blended and highly pigmented and I would use each of the colours.

However, my biggest issue with these eyeshadows are how at the end of the day, without fail there is always a thin dark line stuck onto the crease of my eyelid, I don't know what it is or how it forms, I think maybe the eyeshadows are more oily than most, as it never happens with other brands and it's the only possible explanation for it.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I don't know why it took so long for me to get this! I had naked 2 & 3 so I thought it feels wrong not to have the first one and the shades are just what I love so I had to go and get it. Instantly became my favorite out of the three. Lovely range of warm shades, only couple mattes but I'll just use another palette if I need some more so doesn't really bother me. I like the packaging as well tho it gets dirty but it just shows that the palette has been loved<3

In short I am returning this. Here is a tale about a girl and her neutral eyeshadow adventures:

I requested naked 2 a few years back for Christmas, and was stoked to finally own a naked palette! I used it religiously for a few months--- then less so... Then less so. Then it sat untouched for like 6 months. I forced myself to whip it out again. Sat on the idea of purging it for another 6 months. Eventually I said goodbye to my naked 2 palette. Never a tear was shed.

In the end every "look" I attemped to do blended out into the same muddy mess. Time after time.

I sat on the idea of ever owning a naked palette again. I mean everyone and their mother swears they're amazing. So maybe n2 just wasn't the one for me.

Torn between naked and n3, I bought naked because I loathe chunky glitter... Like loathe it. I hear that is big in n3. And I thought naked would be just a nice neutral essential.

So it took me 2 days to realize how much I hate this palette. Basically for all the same reasons I didn't like naked 2

Like honestly there is 0 versatility.

Open the palette and problem 1-- there is no blending color. Like a bone color or a color like foxy is really lacking. The closest color is naked, but naked is a bit dark-- that's more for contouring the eye IMO (I am nc20). So, confusedly, I set my base with naked-- go to sin, contour more heavily w naked, sidecar on outer two thirds of lid, define outer v with buck, virgin to highlight.

Step back-- the result is a muddy mess. Like a mess. Of just shimmer and pewtery/bronze messiness.

Clean my makeup off-- try the same thing again without first setting the base with naked (I take note that sin, although swatches well, has like no pigmentation on my lids).

Again, muddy dead, flat, shimmery mess.

I pop some half baked into the center of the lid to draw a little bit of light. An improvement. But did I really just pay $55 for this? I used 5 shadows and my eye is just a mess of bronze shimmer. I'm not a noob to eyeshadow...

Ok ok. I whip out my NYX base in white. Throw a white base onto my lid. Start the look over. Still noting how sin is just not showing on my lids...

Wash it off. Try the look again but with toasted instead of sin. Somehow end up with the same result. Define outer v with dark horse instead of buck, same result (just cooler/more shimmer)...

You get the point. Long story longer-- every single look looks exactly the same. Just muddy, bronze shimmer.

I think the naked palette appeal is just lost on me (barring naked basics. I LOVE THAT ISH!!)

To make sure it wasn't just me, I went onto youtube and looked up a bunch of videos on naked palette "looks"

A- every look looks the same
B- it's not that great.

So yes back to the store it goes. Debating on replacing it with too faced chocolate bar or lorac pro--

This palette came out 5 years ago and at the time there wasn't much else out like it. I have a theory that has a lot to do with the rave reviews---

I wonder if it came out today, how well would it rate against all the other options-- since every last company has a neutral palette now. Drugstore to high end and everything in between.

(Naked 1) Great pigmentation definitely worth the money i use the virgin color as a highlighter and it works amazing

Pros -
Gorgeous packaging (naked 1)
Nice selection of shades
It's just handy having a palette rather than scrabbling around for multiple individual eyeshadows

Good value for money

Cons -

The fall out! I always use primer & I've not experienced this issue with other shadows (the MUA dupe for example), but I end up with glitter everywhere when I use this.

I also don't find the colour pay off that fantastic.

I'm not sure I'd repurchase, although it's so handy to have all those neutrals in palette form. I held off purchasing for so long as I felt like it was overhyped & I think my initial suspicions were correct. It's nice, but not amazing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

( This is a review of naked 3)

I have to admit that I accidentally bought a replica, for seventeen bucks on eBay, I figured it could possibly be fake but you know what? I compared it to my sisters authentic palette and the one I have is really, really great!!!

The colours are beautiful , as is the colour payoff ! This is a really well rounded palette and I imagine there is something in there for everyone. Even beginners to eye shadow can achieve a beautiful look with these super easy to use brushes and blendable shadow .

Next time I will buy the real one as I admire urban decays commitment to not test on animals .

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I get it. I get the hype. I love this palette. I'm a big fan of neutral eyeshadows. UD shadows are gorgeous: good pigment, easy to blend. I wish there were more matte shades in this palette, but that's OK. I literally do reach for this pretty much every day. This palette started my love for all the UD naked palettes. I have them all, and I love them all, but I think this one is my favorite and the one I use the most often.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Love this palette!! I love the colors and the texture of the eyeshadows.. They blend really well and does last on the eyelid far as I have observed. They are really pigmented and creamy to apply! I think I like this more than my naked 2.. but then again I might like both of them equally!! Worth the money in the end although I think they could bring down the price a litter more.. think its a little expensive.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This was actually the last urban decay palette i bought i had been given the other three as gifts and was just missing this one so i went out and purchased it and i haven't looked back since i personally love a good nude and brown palette and this is by far one of the best. Each color can be use unlike other palettes where you'd never dream of using some colors. This palette can be used for crearing a simple matte white lid with a defined crease, simple smokey eye to the biggest and most dramatic smokey eye and cut crease. This product is even better as it comes with a decent brush unlike most palettes it also gives you a sample of their primer potion one of my personal favourite primes this and nyx milk are the perfect base to creating amazing looks with this palette.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

How to Look Like Kim Kardashian- Smoky & Glowy Makeup Tutorial- Naked Palette! by OMGigi

New Year's Eve & Party Smokey Makeup Tutorial! 2015 by Angie Wilches