October 24, 2014 | 1618 users online

Deodorants - The Body Shop - DeoDry Dry-Effect Deodorant [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 9:40:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Honestly I found that this deodorant worked pretty well for me. When making a switch to natural deodorants, you have to let your body go through detox mode. With antiperspirants, the aluminum compound swells up the sweat glands, which prevents sweating. But over time, it will remained blocked and would turn into a painful cyst. Well that was the case for me. Basically it takes at least a week for the body to detox and excrete the antiperspirant from the formerly clogged gland. Hence why you should do this in the winter.

Anyways I was looking for a natural deodorant because my old standby antiperspirant Degree was irritating my armpits and turning it dark and I would have at least two painful cyst developing in my arm pit. It would get so bad that it would prevent me from sleeping. So in desperation, I was looking for a deodorant that made my armpit inhospitable for bacteria but not interfere with my sweat glands normal function. I have tried various of deodorants but some of them was too sticky, didn't mesh well with my body chemistry or didn't work for me. I was ready to order a deodorant online till I found out about DeoDry line from The Body Shop. I bought all three fragrances to try it out.

The green one did not mesh well with my body chemistry and I usually dig sage scents. I guess it was due to what I ate *shrugs*. The blue one smelled okay, very unisex. But my favorite one has to be the pink one. I guess I am a sucker for flowery scents. It worked at most for me four hours before I reapply again. What really helped me was taking some chlorophyll tablets to neutralize any internal odor and wearing this. It reduce my BO greatly. Thankfully I found a place where I can get it slightly cheaper so I am happy about that. I still want to try Bumble and Bee before finding my ideal deodorant.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by tiii

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

** edited to add: I've decided that this makes me feel like I'm sweating more. At first I didn't realise what was going on. I'm not actually sweating, but there's something in the ingredients that makes me more aware of the sweat... and I don't really like that, so I've revised my rating down to 3 **

I'm not generally a big fan of deodorants in any form, firstly because I don't sweat very much at all and secondly because I wear perfume and often deodorants smell bad. However I am a swing dancer so it is usually a sensible thing to have on even if it's just to stop being paranoid.

I bought this when I was stocking up on basics at the Body Shop, not having read any reviews for it and I actually really like it. I bought the green lid one which is fresh and not too floral or masculine. I don't feel like it's a big commitment product, the gel stick thing is easy to put on and is dry straight away. The faint lingering frangrance is nice and best of all it doesn't have any aluminium in it. I should say that I understand that aluminium is the thing if you want to stay completely dry (I used to use Mitchum).

Agree with other reviewers that they need to work on the twisty thing at the bottom.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by ReiKoko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the citrus scent and a refill when it was on sale, and i regret it. It does not keep me dry, nor does it keep me from smelling. Like another reviewer said, the scent of the deodorant mixes with your BO, and the result is just disgusting. I've never had such problems with any other deodorant I've used.

I love The Body Shop, but this has to be the worse Body Shop product I've used so far. I've been using it for the past couple of months, and it's only been bearable cos I've been working in a well ventilated office. I can't stand this product anymore though, so I'm going to go back to drugstore deodorants (which work 100x better).

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2011 5:25:00 AM More reviews by portakalis

This roll-on deodorant was the worst product I have ever used. It dries quickly, no iritation on the skin, but it doesn't protect you from smelling. And your sweat smell mixes with the product's smell, yuck!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2011 1:25:00 PM More reviews by HelloKittyHun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Omg there's so many negative reviews for this! I'm not sure why there's so many of them. For me personally, it works for me! A nice light scent, nothing too heavy, keeps my perspiration at bay and keeps my body odor from expelling. For mainly about 7 hours. The only problem I have with this is the packaging. The little knob at the bottom is hard to turn to get the product out and the cap can never seem to stay on properly. But other than that, the deodorant itself works fine for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by secretchimp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm always looking for a good natural deodorant, and have tried many different ones. This one was one of the worst I've tried, in terms of performance. It smelled fine, but did nothing for body odor or wetness, but at least it did not irritate my skin. I always go back to the health food store staple Alvera, in the Aloe & Almonds, or if I'm feeling more flush I get the LaVanila from Sephora.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2011 10:12:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is ok for a natural deodorant - but that doesn't mean it's a good product. I don't think any natural deodorants are. I have tried worse though. Kiss My Face was much worse. Tom's was about equal. Arm & Hammer a tad better.
    So, this deodorant has a VERY strong fragrance. So strong that it overpowers my perfume - it is terrible. The scent is a generic flower smell...(my Body Shop only had one scent to choose from, the one with the pink cap).
    Upon application, it makes my underarms a bit sticky. If I am going to a cool dry place with a well ventilated shirt, this keeps me from getting smelly for a few hours - definitely not all work day though. I always smell by the time I come home :-(. If I am wearing something like a long sleeve shirt and sweater and walking a few blocks..I will be smelly within half an hour. Ugh. With normal drugstore anti-perspirant, I am NEVER smelly. Ever. But I fear that using aluminum is dangerous for health so I am searching for a natural alternative. I have obviously not found it.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by captainflamingo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this for $5CDN. There were three scents and while I don't remember the names(other reviewers have mentioned them, though), there was a citrus-y one, a floral one(Fresh and Floral, what I own), and a more masculine smelling one. The scent is lovely. It's not a generic floral, it reminds me of a breeze-y kind of scent. This deodorant is strange- I do feel my underarms getting wet with this product, but when I touch them about 10 minutes later, they are dry- as if the deodorant absorbed it or something. I do get slight B.O at the end of my school day after wearing a long sleeve in a heated building all day, but it really is nothing noticable. I'd probably stick with it during the colder months or if I'm going over a friend's house and watching movies or something, but this deodorant is definitely not the strongest anti-perspirant. However, it gets points for being aluminum free and smelling so darn good! I won't repurchase, though, because summer is coming up and I need something stronger to keep sweat and odor at bay.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/22/2011 2:44:00 AM More reviews by preity147

I purchased the pink roll-on in my quest to find a less toxic & effective deodorant - lets just say I'm still on that quest. Using this is slightly better than no deodorant and that to me is simply not worth the NZD20 I paid for this & the extra chemicals I put on my skin. I tried to use up the bottle I bought on my stay-at-home days but it made my skin itchy after a point, so into the thrash it went! I'm back to my reliable Kiehl's antiperspirant cream till I find something aluminium and paraben free.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2011 6:34:00 PM More reviews by moosue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

What do you want your deodorant to do? To keep you smelling fresh. Ideally, dry too, but since this is deodorant I didn't have high hopes on that. It did claim that something in this would keep you dry too though. It did none of the things you buy it to do.
    I have never had issues with any drugstore brand antiperspirant before but wanted something cruelty free and decided to give this a try.
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm not an unusually sweaty or smelly person. BO and excessive sweat is never a problem for me with any cheap common antiperspirant.
    I got the stick of this in the floral scent and found it kept me fresh (although smelled very strong) for oh, 2 hours or so. My underarms felt wet and it was disgusting. The wetness alone wasn't great but this didn't even keep me smelling fresh. At work I actually had to try to not lift my arms because this stuff would crap out 1/4 through my shift.
    I kept with it for a couple of weeks though, trying to let my body adjust, but it wasn't happening.
    This product is crap. It also burned pretty badly on shaved armpits, which has never happened from any other underarm product I've ever used. Waste of $8.