July 31, 2014 | 1054 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Goody - Spin Pin

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Ancatje

Hmmm... I like them... but I don't... but I do...
They are easy to work with, and sometimes you get a great effortless bun. Sometimes.
But other times, the pins either don't stay secured, or they keep overlapping eachother when I try to put them in AND get all my hair in there, or they just don't get all my hair in (fine, mid-length, and I use two of these big pins, so shouldn't be a problem, should it?).
To be honest I'm not sure I can be bothered with these, since with an elastic band I get a perfect bun 100% of the time. Sure it can pull your hair a bit, but I'm sure metal bits in your hair aren't that good for it either. Especially since I've noticed that in order to get good results, you have to really tightly secure them in.
I also find them rather expensive - 7 for a pack?!?? - although you can, if you're lucky, find 1 packs of this in Primark.
All in all, they can be fun to use, but don't always give the results I want. So I remain undecided.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2012 1:26:00 AM More reviews by colettemeek

love them. stay hidden in my bun and work as advertised.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 8:00:00 PM More reviews by kolwink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Read about this in the New York Times (10/24/2012), double-checked what MUA had to say, and then happily went to Target. Figured out how to use the spiral on my 2nd try, which is an astoundingly fast learning curve (for me).

I have rather thick hair falling a few inches below my shoulders. These two spiral pins hold my bun into place quite securely. Yesterday I went all Minnie Mouse, or Princess Leia, depending on your demographic, and tried for two mini-buns, with one pin apiece. That was rather less successful, as the buns loosened a little over the course of an hour. But they loosened CHARMINGLY. Cute messy buns, you know?

I like these. I think they're overpriced - what, $7 for two little diddly metal bits - and I'm not looking forward to inevitably losing and then having to replace 'em. But:

- they're fun to put in (husband looked mildly alarmed as I appeared to screw metal into my head)
- they're novel; I know they've been around for a couple years now, but no friends/family have been wearing them as yet (AND I DO TOO HAVE SOME TRENDY FRIENDS, LIKE AT LEAST ONE)
- they're functional ... they hold the bun!
- they don't appear to pull out hair ... over time, I know a few stray hairs would get caught around my elastic bands. So far, I haven't noticed pulling any out as I remove these pins.
- they're practically invisible (rather less so after I got a haircut- with the smaller bun, it's a little harder to keep in place, while the pins are a little more noticeable now. Still, I like these more than elastics)

I like 'em very much. Have been recommending them to friends and assorted sister-in-laws. However, given my general lack of fashion-how-to-ness, no one has listened to me as yet. Boo. I am a prophet without an audience. Also, not quite a prophet, since these were featured in the frickin' NYT. Oh well.

I like 'em.

Edit: I agree with another commenter's observation that screwing the pins together is a good way to store them (although that way you either find both or none).

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2012 11:23:00 PM More reviews by missykeyana

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Works as advertised. With these pins, I was able to make a low bun out of my below-shoulder-length 4a (read: super coily!) hair. If I ever lost these I'd definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by tracie1300

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have thick fine hair that tends to slide out of any kind of simple updo. I am also careful not to use clips and barrettes that might break my hair. I decided to give the Spin Pin a try after reading reviews on MUA. I was pleasantly surprised. Just one Spin Pin holds my hair securely in place and I feel good that its not damaging my hair. My favorite thing about this is that when I lie flat on my back I can't really feel the pin buried in my hair. So I've stumbled upon a easy solution for putting my hair up for yoga, ponytails seem to always get in my way. Thanks MUAers for another great tip!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2012 4:47:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

These things are cooooolll! I wish they were a little cheaper, or you got more, but if you don't lose them, two will do. I was worried about hair loss and these are a nice easy fix for a bun or updo that you used to need tons of pins for. The only downside is that they obviously can't replace pins or clips for brushing hair back against your head, but for updos they are amazing! Really holds when most things don't. The downside is if they contort at all, it's hell to get them out! Or if they intertwine with one another. Ug, be careful! DON'T let them distort, if you do, DON'T use them! They will twist in your hair funny, like the sides of the spirals will pinch in and lock your hair inside and you can't just uncork it, because it's twisted around all funny. Be careful of that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

awesome..i am clueless when it comes to my hair. These are simple and allow me to have a classic bun in no time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by melangerehab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

These cute little things work very well and have spectacular hold! Quick, easy. Not as messy and easy to lose and misplace as bobby pins. I'm growing out a pixie cut and my hair is at awkward lengths, so the spin pins don't hold in all my hair, but it works very well and looks cute and put together. I have thick, wavy hair, and I bought the Dark color. If you live your life with your hair in a bun, I would recommend these.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2012 1:30:00 AM More reviews by urangelbaby2008

I absolutely love these. I have long but thin brown hair and it holds it perfectly. I even keep these in when i am running or working out and it keeps my hair in place. granted not perfect i have a few stray pieces fall from the bun but still it is very light weight and not bulky. I don't know about any other women but i have to have my hair up when working out and a bun clip tends to bounce when i run and annoys me so much. I don't have these problems with these pins. my only complaint is that is really doesn't match my hair color. wish there was more variety of color. Other than that great product

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2012 10:09:00 AM More reviews by SkinCareAficionado

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Goody Spin pins will change the way you bun your hair!

I have SUPER long hair and these hold it all day, you can add an extra normal hair pin on either side too if you like but you won't really need it. You can use these with your hair doughnuts too, they slip in perfectly. No more struggling with 30 million hair pins poking out, you just have to push these in at the right angle and tightness (after a few goes you will have the hand of it, don't worry!) Invisible in the hair (unless say you had sever hair loss). As I said my hair is super long but it is fine, I don't know how this will hold up in thick, curly hair if anything I should imagine even better as the pins will have more texture to cling to and even better on average length hair. I think those with lots of layers will have hair falling out as they would with any other hair pin (will have to use spray and a few more pins instead) but these will still reduce the number of pins needed. You could paint them if you didn't have brown hair. Initially expensive for 2 hair grips but they Last forever too (never break) never get caught due to rubberised tips. Buy them. NOW.