September 23, 2014 | 937 users online

Eye Primer - NARS - Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 6:39:00 PM More reviews by pinkbrush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I wanted to try this for a long time, as everyone seems to love it. I ended up returning it because it definitely didn't do the job well enough as my MAC paint pots or urban decay primer potions do. I have oily lids and this was just like running a lotion on your lids, did not feel like it was doing anything.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 5:44:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received a mini of this as a Sephora VIB reward -- I was really excited because I've wanted to try it for years. Up to now, I've been using Urban Decay Primer Potion to make it possible for me to wear eyeshadow. I have really oily lids so if I don't wear eye primer, the shadow creases within an hour, my liner smears off, and my mascara ends up smudged under my eyes, a la a hooker raccoon. Pros: I love the doe-foot wand applicator of this, much more so than the UDPP tube, and the thin consistency (UDPP is THICK). And this product definitely does prevent smudging and smearing. Cons: The main bummer with this (aside from the high price and small quantity) is that it makes my eyeshadow application very patchy. The shadow just won't go on in some areas, and I can't figure out why that is - with UDPP, my shadow applies evenly and really pops. The NARS primer does nothing for the intensity of the shadow at all. So I won't be buying a full-size one. Next one I'll try is Wet N Wild Fergie -- I've heard great things....

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by emm_1606

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the best e/s primer I ever had !!!!
I've worked in a huge drugstore in Quebec for years, in the cosmetics section. We had a lot of brands, such as Guerlain, Clinique, Stila, Lancôme, Clarins, etc. I tried a lot of things.
And because of my job, I had to wear eyeshadows.
I have combination skin and dry undereyes, but really oily lids.
Everything creases on me, without a primer.
I used too faced shadow insurance in the past, and it worked really well. Unfortunately, for some reason, it doesn't work on me anymore.
This thing does. I could wear e/s for hours and hours (and probably wake up with really nice makeup in the morning !!!!)
It's colorless, which is a good thing for me.
It makes the colors pop, and mostly, it doesn't crease at all. I didn't believe it was possible anymore ! It is !!!!
Now I can wear anything !!!! Really worth the 29$ i paid for !!!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2014 9:07:00 PM More reviews by krissyjolene

I bought this with high hopes but it didn't work for me! My make up went on beautifully but after about 4-6 hours my eyes started to crease...very annoying. I like the texture and packaging of this product a lot and I liked it while it lasted. I would have held onto this if I needed something for just doing my make up for an evening only.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by Steph7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Super product worth investing in! Shadows never last on my oily lids and this primer is a miracle! It's hard to overlook more tempting products when make up shopping such as lipsticks, blushers etc, but primers are basic make up kit essentials!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2014 11:24:00 AM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Truly excellent product, I'm very impressed. I have oily skin and fairly oily lids, so wearing shadow without primer is seriously disastrous for me.

I've tried the Urban Decay Primer Potion, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and now I'm about to finish up my Nars Pro Prime. (Next on the list is to try a drugstore primer!) I honestly find all of them to be excellent products, and I have to be honest- I don't see a massive difference between them. All of them extend the wear of your shadow *tremendously*, and make the pigments appear more vivid and vibrant. I really like the applicator of the NARS primer, makes it a bit easier to spread under your lower lashline for those of us who like to use shadow there.

Highly recommended! My only complaint is that NARS should be giving us more product for the pricetag.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by badkitty82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was very skeptical to this product as I'm such a huge fan of Primer Potion from Urban Decay. This was a trial size version of the product that came with a eyeshadow palette from NARS. It is a small white matte rubber tube with a doe foot applicator. The primer is much lighter and smoother, like silicone or lotion, than Urban Decay Primer Potion and Benefit Stay Don't Stray. The two latter dries down quite fast but Pro-prime does not. I did have some problems blending eye shadows right after applying the primer, but when it is applied it stays on for hours! I tried one eye with the primer and one without, and there was a huge difference in lasting power. I tried one eye lid with NARS primer and one with Benefit Stay Don't Stray and NARS was the winner, hands down. So even though I had some trouble with blending straight after applying, the staying power is so good I might even never go back to Primer Potion, yikes!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:02:00 AM More reviews by jjbug82

i have oily eyelids and live in tropical weather - which spells a good combo to get eye shadow creasing, doesn't it? well NARS eyeshadow base breaks the spell - i tried it for 3 months and so far, be it cream/powder shadows, gel/kohl liners, etc, everything stays put for more than 8 hours until I take them off with remover. it is really impressive, in my opinion it's even better than Urban Decay primer (to be fair, it is also pretty good, it only creases at the end of the day). it feels slightly oily when applied, but it seems to make the blending of eyeshadows smoother for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2014 2:15:00 AM More reviews by CatLadyInTheHat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This primer is great. My lids get oily throughout the day, and I always used to get creases. I'm so glad I discovered primer. This stuff makes even cheap eyeshadows show up better and stay on much longer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2014 8:15:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

This primer is my new HG! Prior to purchasing NARS's offering, I was a staunch user of Too Faced 'Shadow Insurance' for years. However the last couple of months I noticed it wasn't working on my eyes as well as it used to... there were patches on my eyelids where my eyeshadow had completely come off! My eyelids are extremely oily. So I decided to purchase NARS's version, and I really love it, since using it my eyeshadow stays on all day and night with absolutely no creasing or colour wearing off. Even though it's clear, the doe-foot applicator lets you cover your entire eyelid with the primer, then I just take my fingers and blend it everywhere. Honestly no matter what the weather is like, or even if I've been exercising, my eyeshadow never comes off! I will 100% repurchase!