April 18, 2014 | 2031 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Urban Decay - Urban Defense Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 (Halo)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 11:06:00 AM More reviews by LadyVagabond

I've been out of this for a while, & dissatisfied with my other foundations/tinted moisturizers. Today I thought I'd try to get the last little bits out of the bottom of this guy & see how I liked it now that my skin has changed (used to be oily & now is combo/dry sensitive).

I love it!! The coverage is perfect, evens out my tone and conceals my old acne marks. Halo matches my skin perfectly. The finish is amazing (my favourite part), it's not dewy per-se but gives you a "I have lovely skin all on my own" look. I look natural and even. I'm re-obsessed!

I'm going out today to buy another tube.

p.s.
Urban Decay is such a great company ethically (I'm a vegan) that I don't mind paying what I think is a slightly steep price for this guy. Plus, it lasts a really long time!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/28/2011 9:25:00 AM More reviews by BubblegumXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this and returned it. It was so hard to apply alone, I had to wear moisturizer underneath it which defeated the whole purpose of me wanting to get it. My skin isn't dry either, the texture of this was like a thick paste. I wanted a product that had moisture + light coverage + easy simple application all in one like it claims, I wanted something that I wouldn't have to apply with a brush like I would with foundation but found myself having to use one with this. For $32 it was such a waste to me, I ended up wishing I just bought a good light coverage foundation instead. It also contains Castor Oil which I think caused my normally clear skin to break out. It contains spf but I couldn't find an expiration date anywhere on the box or bottle, I'm not sure why. Urban Decay claims you can wash, tone, and apply this and your good for the day. That sounded so good but was all hype for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2011 10:32:00 PM More reviews by bambigirl0512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this new packaging!
I have always wanted to try this product but did not purchase because I just didn't like the pump. I've used samples of it and knew it was great, but couldn't bring myself to use the pump. I was so excited when they put it in a tube! I purchased immediately and I'm glad I did. This is the best tinted moisturizer I have used. It provides good coverage, better then many others. It blends into the skin flawlessly and leaves a nice finish, not matte or dewy, just somewhere in between. It does not sit in your pores. Halo was a perfect match for my nw15 skin. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2011 11:19:00 AM More reviews by NeonPurple25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this in Bulletproof. It will match a NC37-40 perfect and will add a slightly tan sunkissed look to NC30-35's. I'm about a NC35 right now and I love it. I can see myself really loving it this summer when I'm tanner(NC40ish). The pump on mine actually dispenses the perfect amount if just gently press it, I was scared of all the comments that it's hard to control. I have normal skin and def have to moisturize before applying, this is the only thing that let me down about Urban Defense. I'd still repurchase it though. It makes me look healthy and eventoned, has no parabens or fragrance, and no breakouts. It looks like my real skin and I do not get shiney with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2010 7:49:00 PM More reviews by TheItalian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't have oily skin.Nor dry. Not even normal.
I HAVE CRAZY SKIN!!
I had been breaking out because of god knows what kind of product and I had been trying discontinuing this and that because my pimples were getting horrible.
So I said to myself: enough with foundation, I'll try this.
So I did.
Soon after I applied moisturizer and this tinted thing I felt my skin a bit tight.
After just 1 use I started peeling. From oily to dry in one day!
I can't tell whether it was caused by Urban Decay but for sure the tinted moisturizer dried my skin. I will update again in 1 week when my skin will have recovered and I can try again.

That being said, coverage is better than I expected and lasts really long! It is kind of patchy if you don't use moisturizer or primer because it absorbs immediately. The package is practical but I don't like the external box: too cheesy for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by zombiexunicorns

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm in LOVE with this.
I'm more of a spend a ton of time on the eyes person, and used to not use any sort of coverage on my skin. Well, I decided to buy a foundation that had sheer coverage, and I got this.
I had always wanted a tinted moisturizer because it's sheer and easy to use. I bought this product because I'm a HUGE urban decay-aholic. And I'm pretty happy with the results.
You have to make this product work. You WILL turn out orange if you use it like a foundation. A little does go a long way.
This product made me look healthier and glowier without using shimmer, which I love.
ONE DOWNSIDE - the pump. It distributes a LOT. Usually only a half pump is good for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by lipstickfashionista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have to back up pikacharma and agree that this is a great product if you know what you're expecting. It's important to distinguish between a foundation and a tinted moisturizer. A foundation is more like a lipstick that goes over your skin and gives more color. A tinted moisturizer is more like a lip gloss that just gives a hint of color and a bit more of a glow. This reminds me of how some people were dissatisfied with a Make Up Forever Full Cover concealer because of how it didn't work on undereye circles. Well, that concealer was not actually meant to be used for undereye circles at all, it is more of a blemish concealer. This is why Make Up Forever has another concealer that is specifically designed for undereye circles. The point being, this is another product that can be great IF you use it for what it's designed for and for its actual purpose.

I like to take some of the tinted moisturizer, then blend it with the Urban Decay Brightening primer (the Urban Decay SA taught me that). It is easier than putting on the primer, then layering on the moisturizer, since you can put it all on in just one step. I also find that this helps the moisturizer blend more easily and seamlessly into my skin. It has relatively more coverage than other tinted moisturizers I used but, it won't give the same coverage as an actual foundation or cover blemishes. In person it has a lovely, dewy glow. However, you might want to use something else if you want to take a photograph because in pictures, it tends to look "oily" rather than dewy. The color is also just right for me (I'm relatively light but not fair, warm undertones).

I agree that the packaging leaves much to be desired, particularly with that pump. When it spills out too much, I start using the excess around my neck, so that I don't have a line of demarcation around my jaw. Just be careful with the pump and be slow in pressing down, to not get the flood of product on your hands!

I also have sensitive skin with occasional blemishes, but my skin has improved a bit since replacing my heavy liquid foundations with this on most days. Since it is free of parabens it seems to be a good option for sensitive skin types like mine, by letting skin breathe a bit more.

Overall this is an excellent product if you use it for its intended purpose and if you know what to expect from it.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2010 1:14:00 PM More reviews by tiff22

Decent tinted moisturizer.. probably best for someone who doesn't live in a humid environment. Their lightest shade, halo, is too dark for my NC15-20 skin, and like a previous reviewer mentioned it does have a "greasy" look to it.. powder helps for a while but it seems to come back quickly; but that could just be because of the humidity in the southeast. I plan on swapping it or returning it to Sephora.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2010 1:26:00 PM More reviews by isitfriday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am always looking for the ultimate TM, i love the sheer coverage, the blendability, the sun protection of them. I like the UD company, no animal testing, and a more natural approach with no parabens, so i picked this up without doing any of my usual 'research'. i originally went for the Boscia TM but they were out of my shade, so i looked around, and found this product. Bulletproof was a good match to my medium toned skin. I am not seeing any of this orange others are talking about, but i'm not fair so perhaps this shade matches my skin tone better. The only negative i see with this is that it does not control shine in any way, but i set it with loose powder so it's all good. a tiny half pump is enough for my whole face, so i think this is a pretty good value, wish it were cheaper, but oh well. all in all this is one of the best TMs i have tried, and trust me when i tell you i have tried A LOT!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2010 11:43:00 AM More reviews by alessie04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the worst product I have ever tried. And that is coming from someone who works in the cosmetic industry and has tried A LOT of products. Even though I have a lot of knowledge in the cosmetic industry, I still like being treated like a customer and having recs from associates. So I went to Sephora with my girlfriend and told the SA I had been using LM Oil-Free TM and that I thought it was only ok (I give it a 7 out of 10), and the SA quickly rec'd the Urban Defense. I said ok and both me and my girl friend purchased it. Well, today I used it for the first time. ORANGE MESS. Like...this stuff is just bad. Not creamy, but a runny liquid. I applied it and it straight up looked orange. It is very noticeable. I am all about products that will give me some warmth, but this isn't it. The same girlfriend came over, and apparently she tried it out too. From the second she showed up, she looked like an oompa loompa lol. We laughed about it for a while, and then I re-did her makeup with the LM. There was no way in hell I was going out with her looking the way she did....IT WAS BAD lol. Also, this seems to make imperfections more noticeable. I wasn't expecting a lot of coverage because this is a TM and you're suppose to use a concealer to spot cover problems...but I have a couple of recent acne spots. This stuff took the red from my spots and turned them into a dark brown color that no concealer could cover. Do NOT buy this stuff. UD is usually a great line (love their concealer), but I hope this stuff isn't around very long. I believe Sephora has to push certain products every week because the SA went right over to the UD without asking any questions about my skin type or what I was looking for in a TM. Never a good sign, ladies. Don't buy this.