October 21, 2014 | 1612 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock spf 70

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2011 3:07:00 PM More reviews by alisonchains

I have been using this product for close to two years. I'm probably on my 4th or 5th bottle and have used both the 55 spf and 70 spf. I never go out without it even though I work indoors. I do, however, often go outside on my lunch hour and of course the days are longer now. Sun protection is critical to me for two reasons: I've had melanoma (been clear for 20 years now) and the ridiculous and noticeable damage that more than a few minutes in the sun does to my skin. (FYI-I live in beautiful San Diego) While I certainly prefer the extra protection of the 70, it is oilier than the 55. If you decide to use this product I echo what others have said and strongly recommend the following. These are also the reasons I'm giving a rating of 4 and not 5.

--Wash your hands thoroughly after use. When I put on makeup after application (which is almost always), I wash my hands THREE times. Seriously. Once is NOT enough, and twice may not be, so the third time is my "insurance". If you don't do this, you may end up with a constant stream of tears for the next 3 days. It burns, it's irritating and totally jacks up your eye makeup, etc. This has happened to me more then once. It's awful.

--Blot after application. I apply, then go wash my hands, then gently blot, then apply my makeup. The product still seems just as effective (but hey--this isn't a clinical trial) but it helps minimize the inevitable oil slick, especially with the spf70. If you forget to blot before you apply your makeup, you can do so between applying liquid makeup and powder. Keep an eye out...you may have to do so later as well. (Don't have your blotters with you and skeptical of tissue? Use a toilet seat liner.)

For me, use of this product is not optional. Just about any other forumla (including N.) that comes in a tube and is thick, is SUPER greasy (I don't care what the tube says) if not sooner, then later. I used to use those because there were no other choices. My first leap to this type of product was Shisheido. I think the spf was 45. But after N. came out with the higher spf and, well the heckofa lot lower price, I've never looked back.

One other thing---I use either this product or one of the creamier ones (N.'s Spectrum spf100) on my decollette but beware!!!! If you are wearing white clothing (t-shirt, whatever) it WILL discolor the edges of your collar, so be super-diligent about spraying before laundering. I ruined at least 2 shirts before I wised up to this.

For what it's worth, I am 46 and am often told I look much younger. While the signs of aging are certainly showing, I really think consistent use of sun protection is holding the worst of it at bay--for now.

Oh yes--one more preachy thing--if you are a sun worshiper or use tanning beds, your skin, and possibly your health, is doomed.

(Note: I am posting this under both listings--for the spf55 and spf70--since I address both products)

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 2:15:00 PM More reviews by CleopatraBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have dark, sensitive skin (MAC NC50) and this sunscreen not only went on clear, but didn't irritate me. I will be using everyday from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by RedHotPants

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

THANK YOU NEUTROGENA! I am fair, burn easily (and quickly), and wear sunscreen on my face, neck, and chest daily. The fact that I already have oily skin usually makes my sunscreen habit a disastrous one...it only compounds the problem. With this product, I can get the sun protection I need (SPF 70, woo hoo), with the matte face I want. I typically mix a couple of drops of MUFE Mat Velvet foundation in with this sunscreen for sheer coverage. The packaging on this stuff is great too; it's easy to get just the amount you need without wasting any product. I will be heartbroken if this stuff ever stops being made.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2011 8:52:00 PM More reviews by questionable

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry Touch for years so I thought I'd try this when I spotted it on the shelf next to my old favorite. I really like it. Works great under makeup, but the real reason I like this is because the bottle is small enough for me to carry in my purse. I hated carrying around a full tube of sunscreen. I had to keep one tube at home, another in my car and another in my desk at work so I wouldn't be caught out in the sun without sunscreen. I hope they keep selling this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by madge89

I really like this mattifying sunblock. I layer over antioxidant cream and it works great on my oily skin. The only problem is that I have to be scrupulous about getting it in my eyes. I have to wash my hands after applying and then let it set and wash my hands again if I have touched my face at all before applying makeup otherwise I get trace amounts in my eyes, which then tear and my nose starts running. I love how this sunblock layers with makeup -- except for the sensitive reaction -- and would love to find another dry sunblock like this at this price point that does not irritate so much.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2011 4:34:00 PM More reviews by tequierosparrow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am on the lookout for a daily sunscreen that will NOT:
- break me out
- leave my face greasy as an oil slick
- create more shine...i have enough on my own thank you!

I like the fact that it is a high SPF. 15 and 30 just are not enough in my opinion. It has a light scent, but I'm not easily bothered by scents so I don't mind

i think it makes my face a bit greasier, when i dont wear it im much happier with my skin with makeup. It mixes well with my moisturizer, and its for that reason that I love the tube, you just squeeze out a few drops and its super liquidy and spreads well.

SADLY and with a heavy heart, i had to get rid of it, it is a culprit in my current acne breakout. SIGH. I cannot find any sunscreen that doesn't break me out, even ones that say they are non comodegenic!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by nyomya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

My former lover Sofina Perfect UV SPF 50 + PA +++ was traveling around the world before arriving to me so I was looking for something closer to me... I found this Neurtogena SS from MUA. It is very similar with plus sides of cheaper price, easy to get it locally, and made in USA. I can also catch on sales and use coupons. I have oily skin and it is very hard to get the right SS. I read in the reviews that this Neutrogena SS is not as good as Sofina for controlling oil but I have solution: DIY home-made primer to control my super oily face. It is a mixture of silica and a bit of calcium carbonate, and magnesium myrsistate (same as in MoM), cheaply available @ TKB Trading and Coastal Scents.

Tests in the sun for longer hours of hiking with lot of sweats:
Alpha Hydrox gel as base before this SS followed by DIY primer, a bit of Revlon Color Stay powder and I am good for the sun including pictures :) I always apply AHA before chemical SS to avoid breakouts. I also use Apple Cider Vinegar as toner at nights. I don't use this SS daily unless I have longer time outdoors. So far so good for last summer and this spring.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2011 2:18:00 PM More reviews by bhk126

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used this and the spf 100, both leave a whitish cast and difficult or impossible to get makeup to cover it. (I put moisturizer on first)

I will use it on arms and legs.

it has NO zinc oxide, and I don't think it does as good a job as products with Zinc oxide.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by lightsout91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

To get straight to the point, I am almost certain that this is clogging my pores. I wasn't sure at first but about a week ago I noticed my jawline and forehead looked terrible with tiny bumps. I started freaking out but didn't deduce that it was the sunscreen doing this. Well, a week later and now my cheeks are slowly forming clogs as well. Now i'm certain that this sunscreen is the culprit. I have no idea what ingredient is the cause of this because I LOVE the Neutrogena Dry Touch s/s even though it wasn't photostable.
Now the reason I'm not giving this a 1 is because if you're not breakout prone or sensitive, then this is a really good sunscreen. The finish is absolutely gorgeous and you feel protected all day. Unfortunately I guess my oily acne prone skin can't tolerate this. THANKFULLY the clogs are slowly going away without turning into giant zits. The search continues for a great daily sunscreen ... *sigh*

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2011 1:40:00 AM More reviews by snake_hips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely love this sunscreen. It's the only sunscreen I can get just about anywhere in the US that is just as cosmetically elegant as the Japanese and European sunscreens that I have to order online. This means if I run out or I'm out of town, I can have sunscreen for my face that looks and feels great. It works wonderfully under my Colorstay foundation and I stay pretty matte all day.

HOWEVER, the PPD for this sunscreen is only 11 and when I used the Ciba BASF sunscreen calculator, it listed the SPF as only 30. I wonder what basis Neutrogena uses for the SPF rating it lists.

Since Avene Tres Haute Emulsion SPF 50 is cheaper per ounce and has a PPD of 20, I will use this during the summer; however if I can't get hold of it I will definitely run back to the Neutrogena in a pinch. It's just that I know that PPD has a bigger effect on aging and pigmentation in the long run, so this matters to me since I'm about to turn 40 and I'm extremely fair complected.