OPI Meet Me On The Star Ferry

4.2

on 10/14/2010 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

OPI's Meet Me on the Star Ferry from the Hong Kong Collection - what can I say except "gross". This one is down-right awful. The base color is a medium mauvy-plum with brown undertones. The brown undertones make it extremely muddy. It has a hint of copper flash to it but the overall finish is an almost-frosty metallic. This color made my hands look extremely "old". (Pale complexion with slight yellow undertones for reference.) The application was very gloopy (even after thinning) with very slight visible brush strokes. It was opaque in two coats and drying time was very quick. I can't state wear time because this one is only going to be on my nails for a day or two at most. Two thumbs way down on this one.

on 9/22/2010 9:08:00 AM

I'm a bit disappointed with this nail polish. It looked so pretty on photos but so boring on my nails. I would describe the colour as silverish mauve, however under sportlights it looked stunning - very shimmery (I wish it was like that under all lights).
I've applied 3 coats to get the bottle colour. Staying power wasn't that great either - it started chipping after 1 day.

on 9/14/2010 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

It was really an impulsive purchase. When my (now) fiance first started dating, we took the Star Ferry very often. So the name is very romantic and endearing for me. It's not really the usual kind of colour that I would wear. I am more of a cream pink/red kind of girl. But this one works surprisingly well for me. The purple matches with my skintone and the glitters are not overpowering. The colour works beautifully for me on both fingers and toes.

on 8/18/2010 7:42:00 PM

This is really pretty and unusual. I'm fair, warm toned and 54 years old, and usually buy bronzey or darker matte polishes in hopes of minimizing my long skinny toes. This violet/purple is a radical departure for me. It looks great and I'm so glad I branched out a bit.

I am new to OPI, and this is my second polish from the company. Now I know what I've been missing!

Color: A mauve, but not boring. It leans more toward purple, with a multicolored shimmer and coppery sheen.

Packaging: I have the original brush on mine, and I like that it's firm, but not stiff, and doesn't drip. The bottle is easy to open and doesn't get stuck shut.

Formula: It's nearly opaque in one coat, but really comes alive with two. Dries in about ten minutes per coat, and applies smoothly over start to finish.

Longevity: So far, I've had it on for a week, and it still looks awesome. No chips or wear yet.

I am also switching to cruelty free products and I think it's noteworthy that OPI is cruelty-free (as recognized by the PETA) and does not contain formaldehyde.

Great polish and great brand!

on 8/6/2010 1:39:00 PM

I got this shade this past spring (think its Hong Kong collection??), and I can't wait to bust this out again for the fall! Its a beautiful mauvey/purplish shade with sparkles in it. The sparkles are not OTT, just gives a fun sheen to your piggies. 2 coats is all I need with this. Love it!

on 7/23/2010 8:58:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a lovely mauve shade with a dense, subtle, coppery shimmer. Needs 3 coats, the formula is a little thin/clumpy, but by the third coat it smooths out. It's a subtle enough shade for day or office wear, but not at all dull. A very unique color combo, and probably the only mauve polish in my collection, as I generally find mauve completely underwhelming. Works better with cooler skin tones, but I'm warm-toned and it looks fine.

on 6/25/2010 10:37:00 AM

I found a swatch online and thought it looked wonderful Here in Germany OPI is very expensive EUR 16, so you think twice if you really need it.

I just put it on my hands and feet and it looks extravagant, stunning. A color you can wear all year long, very elegant. And in sunlight it is even more impressing than in artificial light.

on 5/25/2010 5:07:00 PM

When I first got a manicure with this color, I was surprised by the multi-dimensional shimmer. The color is a gorgeous purple with metallic shine, but it doesn't have the chunkiness of glitter fragments. OPI's brushes are very easy to use because they hold a lot of liquid, and you don;t need to paint each nail fast because if you pause the color doesn't streak. Great!

on 5/24/2010 11:06:00 AM

This was a wl item for me here on MUA, and I was thrilled to get it. I was attracted by both the color and the name, and I just love this polish. Great formula, it goes on very smooth, and the wider brush (I know, some of you don't like it) is great for a quick mani. This is definitely a spring or fall color, more muted than what you would necessarily want to wear in the summer, but I'm still loving it. It's a lovely purple/copper color that looks nothing like anything else I have. In the bottle, it almost looks like an Essie It's Genius dupe, but once it's on, it's got a whole character of its own. I'm in love.

Top Rated OPI Products