October 1, 2014 | 1303 users online

Sunscreen - EltaMD - UV Clear SPF 46

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2013 7:32:00 AM More reviews by maquin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Awesome sunscreen. Often overlooked because it is not high ppd, but for daily incidental exposure it does enough for me. I had an unexpected day out in the sun, although my shoulders/arms burned, but my face and neck were not affected at all.

my skin is on the drier side and i don't like greasy sunscreens because they tend to break me out. It stays perfectly matte, without drying out my skin. It is a combo physical/ chemical sunscreen, but it does not annoy my skin like other chemical sunscreens. Contains Niacinamide (vitamin B3), is paraben and fragrance free.

Of course i would repurchase and I have! Ive been through 5 or 6 bottles and have a backup waiting

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 1:17:00 AM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

*Edited 4/16/13* Spoke too soon. This did in fact irritate my rosacea and I had to discontinue using it. I suspect the niacinamide or maybe even the lactic acid, my skin is so sensitive that it's hard to know for sure sometimes. It's a shame because this is a great SS.

I have finally found my HG SS! I used to use Skinceuticals Physical Fusion which has an awesome finish but being that I'm very dry, I have to wear moisturizer underneath. So I was looking for a SS that was moisturizing enough that I wouldn't need a separate moisturizer and that wasn't super shiny. This happens to do both beautifully! It also wears under makeup like a dream. I use Estee Lauder Invisible foundation and Laura Mercier loose powder over top, my skin looks awesome! I was worried the niacinamide might irritate my rosacea but it hasn't, I've been using for a couple of weeks. I love the airless pump and the fact that is also has Sodium Hyaluronate as well. I'm going to order another bottle soon to be ready for summer. Love this stuff!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Finally! A natural sunscreen that doesn't break me out and doesn't leave me super greasy!

I had previously tried Elta's tinted sunscreen with disastrous results - it worsened existing acne and laid the foundation for some heinous future breakouts but I digress...this particular formula, with niacinamide to minimize redness, has been amazing . It's non-irritating, fragrance-free, and wears reasonably well under makeup. It DOES have a slightly grainy finish and can pill, but it's nowhere near as bad as other mineral sunscreens. The most important thing is that it does NOT break me out, nor does it leave any kind of gray or white cast on my face.

I'll be repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by Mozart68

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have combo skin (oily t-zone in the summer), so I have a hard time finding an spf product that does not make my skin look metallic/shiny. This sunscreen is one of the better ones. EDIT: I prefer Clinique City SPF 25, because it is all physical sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2013 8:01:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

After my stash of HG and now dc'd Sheseido sunscreen ran out I was having a really tough time finding something comparable to replace it that wouldn't irritate my skin and eyes or cause breakouts. I actually ordered this for my daughter who plays sports, is acne prone and has similar issues with sunscreen. I gave it a try and love it. Its not cheap for sunscreen but how many of us have spent over $20 just for primer? This is a light lotion that has no sunscreen smell and dries to a matte finish. It doesn't irritate my eyes or skin but it provides some serious oil control so I sometimes add one drop of face oil to keep it from being too drying this also gives it a dewier finish. I get zero breakthrough shine when wearing this either alone or under makeup and my t-zone can get pretty oily. Because of this I don't use this with powder. That combination is way too drying and I haven't been able to skip powder since I was 15. This isnt for someone with dry skin issues but could be a big help for the oily and /or acne prone. Sun protection seems pretty good for day to day and this seems a bit easier to remove than some I've used. Glad I found it and even stocked up on a few bottles while it was on sale.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 9:00:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

I was lucky enough to receive a sample of this in a swap (I did google the product to find out the $$ for my rating) and have used 3x on my face now.

I did not read any of the reviews prior to using. The title "Clear" threw me for a loop as this stuff comes out white, but it completely disappears on my NC 15 skin (I'm sure due to the micronized ZO). It dries to matte finish and does not dry out my skin.

Here is my problem w/ it and why I won't purchase = it has a low PPD = 4.8 - 5.8 PPD depending if ZO in oil or water phase. As I have melasma, this ridiculously low PPD is as definite deal breaker for me. Too bad too cause I like this stuff....

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by heather

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After two weeks of daily use, I can definitely say I adore this sunscreen. It works wonderfully under makeup, leaves no white cast, doesn't smell like sunscreen, contains a significant percentage of skin-brightening niacinamide, does not irritate my eyes, does not ball up or streak, does not make my skin oily, and has a really impressive level of broad spectrum sun protection (9% transparent zinc oxide, 7.5% octinoxate, SPF 46). The airless pump is great, but it's hard to tell how much is left so I'll have to keep an extra on hand. I use it over an antioxidant serum (Paula's Choice Skin Balancing) for extra protection, and follow with whatever foundation strikes my fancy. So far, it has worked very well with liquid, cream, cream-to-powder, and powdered mineral foundations. I have been using (and really like) the Devita Solar Protection facial sunscreen, but the added niacinamide in the EltaMD is a really significant plus. I am very, very pleased with this sunscreen and will continue to purchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2012 8:32:00 AM More reviews by jenniferluvsmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG sunscreen for my face. I have never liked wearing sunscreen on my face because of my oily skin, but this one is amazing. It absorbs quickly and leaves my skin feeling normal, maybe even somewhat matte. It works great on its own and holds up nicely under makeup. My only complaint is the bottle! It's too small (I guess it's nice if you want to carry it in your purse) and it's hard to gauge how much product is left. My solution is to just have an extra one on hand at all times, that way if I run out unexpectedly I won't have to wait for another bottle to come in the mail. One full pump is enough to cover my face liberally, plus some left over to cover the front of my neck. Overall, a great product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by socalboyrocks

In my opinion, Elta MD UV Clear is a high quality sunscreen/sunblock. In 2009 my dermatologist recommended I try this and I've been using it ever since. Those who dislike typical "sunscreens" will be pleasantly surprised as It absorbs quickly, no lingering sunscreen odor, and no tackiness or greasy feel. I appreciate the airless pump. It is expensive considering how much product you get. At the dermatologist, I can purchase this for $25 and I've seen it online for up to $35! Again, the benefits outweigh the price. Elta MD makes other products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2012 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

I have only used this for one day, but ill update during the time.
Right now I want to give my first impression. I was looking for something that 1) does not break me out, 2) feels extremely light and fresh in the face, 3) gives me a matte/non-greasy look, 4) works well with makeup and is NOT waterproof.

I already know that some silicones and heavier ingredients break me out. Most of the sunscreens I've tried also broke me out! But cause I have a lot of hyperpigmentation (and acne) I have to find a daily sunscreen. Dermatologists have told me that products that are waterproof easier clog pores! So let's try this!

First impression:

- extremely lightweight, melts into the skin and disappears within seconds from your hands....

- you can see traces of the white cast, you can se that it contains Zink....but it disappears more and more after a few minutes..

- leaves a little shine, but NOT a greasy feeling. So I had to powder a little more... Yet haven't found out if thé makeup goes away faster with this, but ill update...

- the feeling is little tight/dry in the face, this is not too moisturizing... But I could solve that if this does not break me out....

I'll update again ....

UPDATE 18th October, 2012:

I got a small breakout the first four days, maybe cause of the niacinamide...maybe 5-7 more pimples than normally. But since then I haven't developed new ones in the same way...
No new breakouts caused by this, at least, seems like...

I think that this can become a little too shiny/sheer to be able to wear it without powder though...but I can live with that as long as it doesn't break me out, and I can use it daily....

It's also too dry to use around the eyes, ill need to find something else for that area. It's also too drying to be used alone around the mouth... I think ill try the Elta Daily spf 40 on those areas....ill try to order it.....

So far: highly recommend for us with acne!!! Five lippies!!

UPDATE 9th november, 2012:

STILL NO BUMPS!!!!! No clogged pores, no breakouts!! Completely amazing, this is the FIRST sunscreen that hasn't given me acne!! Instead my face almost looks clearer with this than before (or feels better - it's at least not worse with the acne). This is completely adorable, and I'd give it 500 lippies if I could!! At last I have found something that is lightweight, water-soluable, high spf, does not clog pores and comfortable enough to wear daily under makeup!!!

Try it!!!!! :D

Update 6th of April 2013:

During the last 3 years I've been studying, and I started working again now in the middle of mars. The office is hot and there is a lit to do, and I usually work 8-9 hours a day.... I need my makeup to STAY where I put it, at least for a few hours! Unfortunately my makeup really "melts away", slides off, with the elta sunscreen. I just can't touch up every hour, I have no time!! SO right now I'm on the hunt of a "drier" /more matte daily sunscreen that doesn't break me out. That will be hard cause I easily break out by some silicones.... So I have no idea right now....

This is of course still a 5 lippies product, but only a little too shiny for me during really long, hot days at the office. Either I'll try to mix it with something or to find another product for the work.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No