EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

on 2/11/2014 2:21:00 PM

My skin: oily/dehydrated, very clog prone, sensitive

I used this sunscreen for two months. All was well the first month, then it went downhill. I have very oily skin, and this made my skin more oily and flaky by the end of the day. I've gone back to using Shiseido's Urban Environment SPF 40 Cream,which is possibly my HG sunscreen, and my skin is improving every day.

Pros: helped reduce redness, seemed to help with breakouts until it clogged every pore after a month of use
Cons: clogged my pores, gave me cystic acne on my chin, dehydrated my skin, eventually caused a burning sensation after applying it, made my skin feel extra greasy (never dried matte on me)

on 2/9/2014 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This sunscreen is great for my oily, sensitive, and clog-prone fair skin. It is very lightweight and is neither mattifying or greasy. It absorbs quickly into my skin and does not pill or ball up under makeup or over serums. Another great thing about this sunscreen is that it has zero fragrance and does not have any flashback in photos.

on 1/2/2014 4:05:00 PM

The best sunscreen I have used for my combination skin. I love this because it combines both a physical and chemical block, and it doesn't leave a white cast on my medium skin. I have re-purchased this product many times and recommend it to all my friends.

on 11/18/2013 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

I was previously using Neutrogena sunscreen with helioplex. I decided to switch to Elta MD SPF 46 because I needed something more suited to sensitive skin. The Neutrogena would make my skin burn and itch, but I'm glad to say Elta MD does not! I apply it over my moisturizer and it leaves my skin smooth and soft! The silicones in this sunscreen act as a great primer for my BB cream to go over and I love that because I'm always trying to cut down the amount of product I layer on my face. I also love that this sunscreen does not have dimethicone in it, which is extremely clogging on my sensitive skin. Great packaging also with the pump. I would recommend this to anyone who reacts to products easily.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is the best sunscreen I have ever used. My dermatologist recommended it for my sensitive, oily, rosacea-affected skin, and I have to say, it is amazing for my skin type. It feels like a lightweight moisturizer when applied (not heavy or sticky like some sunscreens.) It's not mattifying (doesn't claim to be) but it doesn't exacerbate my oiliness, and that is good enough for me. I let it soak in for a couple of minutes, and apply foundation. I also like that it comes in an airtight pump. One pump covers my face, neck and chest. Fantastic product.

on 9/29/2013 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

At first I thought I liked this because it definitely is better than some other sunscreens I've tried, but I've gradually realized I don't actually like it very much.

First of all, this does leave a white-cast on me and I am pretty pale to begin with.

Second, it stings my skin, some times more than others, and I wouldn't really consider my skin sensitive. I'm talking about times when I didn't have any acne on my face, no open lesions or cracked skin or anything like that.

Third, I don't like the way it feels on my skin. If I accidentally rub my face or scratch an itch or something, it will basically pill up. It's basically like a film on top of my face that never really feels like it sinks in or sets. It doesn't exactly feel GREASY, but it's similar.

Fourth, I avoid putting this anywhere near my eyes because, even if I keep it pretty far away from my eyes, it still somehow ends up getting in them. And oh boy does that sting!

That said, it hasn't caused me any breakouts and it does keep me from getting burned. It may suit your skin more than it suits mine, but I personally do not like it. I do like the airless pump it comes in, though. I wish more products came in that sort of packaging because it makes it so much easier to get all the product out.

Thankfully, I have found a sunscreen I LOVE to replace this. It's the CoTZ face sunscreen. The one I have has a slight tint in it, which might show up on me in the winter, but they also make one without the tint. It's silicone based so it's sooooo smooth and blends in so well. I can't imagine I would get any white cast from it even if I had the non-tinted version because it blends in so incredibly well. I also like that it is physical sunscreen only, not physical AND chemical like the UV Clear. I think the chemical sunscreen may be what bothers my skin. If you have tried the Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer, the CoTZ feels very similar to it because they're both silicone based. As a result, the CoTZ also works great under makeup.

I would like to try the EltaMD UV Physical because it is cheaper than the CoTZ, but the CoTZ isn't too expensive either. $20 for 1.5 oz at ULTA, so it's similar to the UV Clear. The UV Physical, on the other hand, comes with 3 oz for ~$27-30. Not a huge difference, so while I intend to buy the UV Physical next, unless it is as good or better than CoTZ, I will switch back to CoTZ. Especially since I can get it at ULTA, which is convenient.

on 8/24/2013 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Sunscreens give me rashes. So it's a continuing battle in my head over which I would rather have: a more or less permanent rash, since I want to use sunscreen every day, or the risk of sun damage somewhere down the line.

So all I really need to say here is that this one sunscreen, out of all the ones I've tried, does not give me a rash. Therefore I actually use it consistently.

A trick I've found to make sure that you don't get that disgusting "I'm wearing sunblock" feeling, and also to make sure that you don't wind up with a pearly sheen, is to wash your face and then apply the product while your face is still damp, in place of a moisturizer. It sinks in completely. You'll never know it's there.

on 8/8/2013 5:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Something in this really didn't agree with my skin. By the end of the day i was really irritated and broken out in some spots, i dont know what could have caused it as all the ingredients seem fine for my skin. It was really greasy too, as if i have put a very heavy moisturizer on, i just got incredibly dewy as the day went on
Wouldn't purchase the full size

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Whilst ridiculously expensive, it works beautifully on my combo-oily skin. Dries matte and without a white cast. It's a physical sunscreen that's high in zinc oxide, which has also been good at keeping my acne prone skin at bay. I wish it were cheaper, because for proper coverage, you need 1/4 tsp for your face. That's a lot of $$$. It does layer beautifully under my makeup and is emollient enough to double up as a moisturizer for me. Those with dry skin may need a separate moisturizer.

Remember to remove completely at night or you'll be entering clog city.

on 7/19/2013 2:29:00 PM

I really did not do my research before buying this sunscreen. Had I known about the low PPD (I have dark spots and just can't bring myself to use a low PPD sunscreen and make my skin worse) then I wouldn't have considered this product at all.

First impressions were ok (for a short while anyway)....the pump bottle is fantastic, this did feel really cooling and light on my face and neck, and most of the whiteness disappeared within a minute or two. However, where I had added an extra layer over my dark spots remained white. I tried to pat this into my skin to make it absorb faster but all that happened was the product balled up or formed flakes. I had no time to wash it off and try again so I just applied my foundation over it. It made my makeup just sit on my skin and look very unnatural. I was so embarrassed just to leave the house looking the way I did. Later on in the day it appeared to have made my makeup separate on my face, so not only was I covered in balled up sunscreen, I had patchy foundation too.

I will be going back to Shiseido's Anessa sunscreen for now until I find something that isn't quite as drying. But this was a horrible experience. I will use up this bottle (too late to return it) on my arms and legs and find a far better sunscreen for my face, neck and chest.