NARS Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

4.6

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

On me this pulls orange more than red. I love it definatly not one for all the wall flowers out there.

Heatwave demands attention.

I absolutely love this colour, it is more orange than red but definitely suits any skin colour. I have been looking for a nice red for months, and I have bought a couple that even though are nice they were not giving me the wow factor. This shade is amazing, the makeup artist at NARS was wearing it and I asked her to try it on me even though our skin colours were totally opposite. The colour absolutely suited me and I wear it every time I go out as it definitely stands out as a statement. The problem is the price as here in Australia this brand is ridiculously expensive but I would definitely buy it again since this is something you must have.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My #1 favourite red lipstick! Its a gorgeous warm orangey red. Love love love it! (Mac C4 for reference)

I have been on the hunt for the perfect red/orange lipstick. Because I am Southeast Asian, my skin has a yellow undertone and usually red lipsticks do not look too great against my skin. This is perfect! Because of the hint of orange, it makes this much more wearable. I have applied it on my lips directly and also used my fingers and both ways look great. It is a semi-matte lipstick and it glides on smooth. The color is so pigmented, it is stunning! It does not leave my lips dry or crackly-- which is a problem I have had with lipsticks in the past. I have worn this with a clean face, little bit of bronzer, a thick black liner and mascara. This color deserves to be the center of attention! This is the first non-drugstore brand lipstick I have purchased in a long time, and I have to say, I am very pleased! Will purchase another color from NARS soon!

I will settle the question of why this was named "Heat Wave": Marilyn Monroe sings "We're Having a Heat Wave" in the film "There's no Business like Show Business"--and this color, of course, is a "spring" (see the book "Color Me Beautiful"), Marilyn Monroe/1950s/Mad Men-inspired, classic warm red. That can be worn today because it is classic. This is retro. No one does anything this retro, classic, and universally flattering anymore, hence why everyone finds this color so unique and great. If it works on me with my dark hair, ruddy cheeks, and light olive skin, then it can work on anyone.

I'm an east asian; my skin is usually pale, with yellow-undertones. Right now, however, I managed to get a slight tan over the summer so I'm about a shade darker than usual. I was afraid this shade would be too bright or look off on my skin, but I LOVE how this looks. The orange-red has just enough orange to make it look fresh and looks great with my tan! I can't wear bronzer all over my face because it just looks "dirty" but when the bronzer was used as an eyeshadow with this lipstick, it looked really good!

PS - I hate that NARS didn't make a matching polish for this lipstick. I bought Essie's polishes in geranium, fifth avenue, and clambake to try to match the nail polish to the lipstick. On my skin, clambake is the most "orangey" and comes very close to the lipstick's shade. Both fifth avenue and geranium looks very red with not enough orange in them and look identical to me.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I love this lipstick,it's a bright orangey red, semi matte, last for hours,you don't need much of a make up because this lipstick by itself gets attention.I goes well,when you are wearing black or other dark colors.It has a retro vibe to it and at the same time so in season .It complements my NC30 skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

We're having an orange moment which is great for pulling out Heatwave. It is bright but in a natural way, that nudges out any thought of piling on much more makeup. You won't need it. This is such a beautiful colour that it not only enhances my lips but also my eyes and cheeks (No I do not apply it there!). The formula is creamy but not heavy, moisturizing and it lasts. Pretty versions of it appear as it is wearing off. I sometimes use Bobbi B.'s orange lip liner but you don't need it. It has a more innocent look without the liner. I seriously doubt whether I will wear it often enough to repurchase but I will always admire it.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Ordered this lipstick as part of my ongoing quest to find the perfect "orange-ish" lipstick after disastrous meetings with truer oranges like MAC's Morange. As a recent convert to the Church of the Red Lip and a huge fan of NARS products in general, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Holy Moley, this lipstick is a doozy!

The moment I ran it over my lips, it was love at first sight. The color is sophisticated, fun, retro, modern...honestly, it's indescribable. Against my dark, warm-toned skin, Heat Wave comes off as a red-leaning orange. I purchased this as a spring/summer shade, but can see myself wearing this all year round.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This lipstick is fabulous. It's a bright, matte warm red that just lasts and lasts. It's easy to apply (I always do so after exfoliating my lips), and has managed to make it through most meals. I've gotten lots of compliments while wearing it.

Recommended for Medium Skin