April 18, 2014 | 1868 users online

Cleansers - Simple - Kind to Skin Refreshing Wash Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2013 3:35:00 AM More reviews by kalliope

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a cleanser that I keep around even though I don't use it daily anymore. It's one of the few cleansers that doesn't obviously irritate my skin or cause breakouts. If I use it for more than 2-3 weeks in a row, though, I'll start to see some mild flaky patches. But using it on occasion, or for shorter stretches, is great -- it always seems to make my skin look brighter, clear, and calm. I find it removes my liquid mineral makeup just fine, but I often use a Sephora facial scrublette (gently) to help with that. A pea-sized dollop is plenty, as it goes a long way.

Reading the other negative reviews just goes to show you how everything is so YMMV when it comes to your skin. The other "simple" and "gentle" cleansers out there don't agree with my skin, but this one does. (Cetaphil gives me tight, flaky skin on first use, Purpose only works for a week or so before irritating me, etc...)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by KyeH

I think this product is usually more expensive (for a drugstore brand, that is), however, I found it at Walgreens on sale for $5.00. I try to use less chemical filled products on my face. I usually can use an organic bar of soap to cleanse my face. I get a few pimples right before my period but nothing major. It doesn't take much to keep my face clear, in short. So, I read reviews on my phone before purchasing. A few people said it made them break out but I ignored the review because I rarely have HUGE breakouts. Upon starting this product THE NEXT MORNING I had all these new pimples. LIKE HUGE PIMPLES. I figured it meant maybe the face wash was working and just cleaning my pores. NOPE, I am almost done using the whole container and the past few weeks I have constantly had the worst breakout since I was a teenager. Huge mountains of white heads across my forehead, chin, cheeks (places I NEVER get pimples). Ridiculous. Needless to say, I broke down today and bought Clearasil Ultra which is full of chemicals because I am really wanting to clear up my face FAST. I also read a review which said you have to make sure you REALLY wash this stuff off your face because leaving any film on your face will cause you to break out. I washed it GOOD trust me. Nothing gives. I wouldn't buy.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/8/2013 3:33:00 PM More reviews by serenapauline

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is SO incredibly drying, which is odd for me to say seeing how my t-zone is quite oily. It made my whole face feel tight, parched, and just uncomfortable. My face also looked more red than usual, probably because this sucked out all the moisture in my skin. It might work for someone with extremely oily skin all over, who knows. I really had high hopes for this considering it has hardly any ingredients in it and it's fragrance free. I'm just glad I didnt waste too much money on this. I wouldn't recommend this, there are tons of better products out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Minou87

Overall a good cleanser, although nothing special over most other general gel cleansers. It did what it claimed and left my skin clean without drying it. Although it left my T-Zone a tiny bit oily and not as clean as I would have preferred, I believe this might be attributed to the fact that Simple is made for sensitive skin and does not contain any harsh products that are intended to "strip" the skin of oil.

The verdict? I would re-purchase this product in the future, but most-likely for the winter months when my T-Zone isn't as oily.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by np_7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second bottle of this, so I've been using it for a while. This is a very basic, no frills cleanser that does the job. It doesn't lather much but that's ok. I have very oily skin and this cleanses the oil off my face every morning without making it dry or flaky. I've used other cleansers that claim to be gentle but they ultimately dried out my skin and made it feel tight. This is my go to daily morning cleanser at the moment.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I haven't tested this out yet. I am very acne prone and will update my review. However for those who want to know here are the ingredients in mine**:
* Water
* Cocamidopropyl Betaine
-shown some allergic reactions (I'm assuming this is due to it being derived from Coconut oil- which is also comodogenic- aka stuff clogs your pores)
- it is a foam booster
* Propylene Glycol
-this is what makes it a clear gel wash
* Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
-basically helps hydrate your skin
* Panthenol
-provitamin of B5
-helps with skin penetration
* Disodium EDTA
-shown to enhance the foaming and cleaning capabilities of a cosmetic solution
-it counteracts the adverse effects of hard water by binding with heavy metal ions contained in tap water, which in turn prevents the metals from being deposited onto the skin
* Sodium Hydroxymethylcinate
-prevents bacterial or fungus growth
-this has replaced parabens
-also known to irritate skin

**disclaimer: I am not a doctor, scientist or professional. The information was taken from a simple google search on the product names.

3/27/13 update: I have since discontinued using this. I found it did nothing for my skin. I'm not sure what I was hoping for but most cleansers just don't work for me. This is included in that bunch.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2013 9:15:00 AM More reviews by yazmin77

This broke me out because as soon as i used this I had a couple of breakouts on my skin, it does however take off makeup but leaves the skin feeling very tight and dry and it claims that it's a simple brand but have you seen the ingredients?

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is an exceptionally basic gel cleanser that does not cause my skin to re-act. I have been using it for about a year and 1/2. The formula is a colorless gel that has no scent, and six ingredients. It does not lather much, but that's okay with me.
Simple does not leave my skin feeling dry or tight. I like to switch it up tho and go back to Dermalogica special cleansing gel once in a while.
I will keep buying Simple tho'. I do like the Refreshing Cleansing Gel.
I really do not like the packaging however. If you put the tube on the end (cap) it can leak out and get all over and you have wasted a lot. I wish they would change it to a pump type dispenser.
***UPDATE***It's been well over a year and I have decided to stop using this cleanser. I was having some bad break outs and I wasn't sure why. I'd read here on MUA that other reviewers felt this particular face wash left a film on their skin, and I believe that to be true. As soon as I stopped using this and tried something else (Acne.org cleanser~there is a review) the deep pimples stopped. I still gave it three lippies because I really liked it at first & I thought I had found my HG.
Not to be :' (
I am trying Neutrogena Ultra gentle cleanser. I will review that in two weeks, May 2nd, 2013
***UPDATE*** October 21st/2013
Well, I've tried: Dove, Aleppo Soap, Oatmeal, Avene's Cold Cream cleansing Bar, Pond's Cold Cream, went back to Special Cleansing gel for a minute...
Back to simple. I am trying it again without using the heavy moisturizer I was using last year (Impruv Cream) I will update in one month's time (November 23rd/2013)
***UPDATE***
So, I gave Simple another shot, since I`ve got tubes of this lying around, full & unopened. I tried a different face cream, giving it a go...I can`t say much about it yet.
Simple started to give me the around-the-eyes type hives that is a classic allergic reaction.
I was also trying out Spectro Jel for blemish prone skin and it was drying my nose out. weird.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2013 7:14:00 PM More reviews by MoodySunshine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't know why so many people like this..... It says it for sensitive skin but it left my somewhat sensitive skin red and feeling hot. Also the next morning I found my face SUPER dry! Not at all impressed.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2013 10:47:00 PM More reviews by ohcaitlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So far, this mild cleanser has been very kind on my skin. My skin feels so soft and clean after using this. I top this with the 'Simple Rich Moisturizer' and have had no problems so far. It's nice to see such a simple (*slaps knee*) product out there that is this effective!