April 17, 2014 | 985 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Maybelline - Instant Age Rewind Primer Skin Transformer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2012 11:40:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised that this primer doesn't have a higher rating/more positive reviews, especially this time of year, with the weather changing from a humid summer to a frigid winter (which was what prompted me to purchase a new primer in the first place)

I purchased this on a *total* whim around the middle of September when the weather here where I live drastically changed from hot/humid to chilly&cold. My face had been an oil slick all summer then suddenly went crazy and refused to wear foundation without showing dry patches and flakes everywhere! Ugh.. Even oil cleansing and moisturizing well 2x/day I was still having issues with dry patches. I had recently fallen in love with the Maybelline Age Rewind Eraser foundation (the one with the attached sponge applicator) around this same time, so as I was browsing the aisles of my local drugstore looking for something that could help my foundation look better/decrease the flakes and I noticed this primer had it's own special display. I grabbed one up for right around $8 USD and expected it to be very similar to Monistat's Anti-Chaffing Gel Powder stuff (which for the record I don't hate the Monistat, but am not sure if I love it either..)

So the following morning I went to apply my foundation and didn't have high hopes for this primer (I didn't expect much of anything to help other than just waiting it out for my skin to get used to the weather..) but I was truly amazed. -Absolutely NO flakes and NO dry patches! But the test still wasn't over.. I needed something to not only help with the dry patches, but something that at the same time wouldn't turn me into an oil slick by noon (this is a common issue for my dehydrated skin in cooler weather - dry then turns to crazy oily) But yy the end of the day this certainly did pass my test and I'm still pretty amazed at how it performs.

For reference I have fair, mostly neutral but leaning warm (N/NC13ish) skin that is acne/clog-prone and usually oily but gets dehydrated with certain products and drastic weather changes. Since the change in the weather here I've been using this daily and pairing it with the new Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream for Dry Skin (even though my skin is not dry this stuff is pretty amazing for my oily/dehydrated skin -I have a separate review already posted for it if your skin sounds similar to mine) And these two products paired together make my skin flawless. No flakes, but at the same time my oil is also in check so I couldn't be more pleased :)

Now that I've had this for a while I've used this with multiple foundations, liquid and powder, achieving the same results with all.

The weather did warm up for several days in a row during the last week of September (we made it up to 80something F.) And I noticed on those days I *did* need to go back to my old primer, as the first day that the weather warmed up, after around 5-6hrs I needed to blot. There wasn't an insane amount of oil on the blotting sheet or anything like that, but it was enough that I realized that this primer isn't perfect (for me) for all year round use. Once the weather makes it up over 80 degress, I need something more mattifying under fndtn (I like the Black Radiance Primer, Biore UV Perfect Face Milk, or Silica Powder+Aloe mix for my more oily skin days)
But as the weather cooled back off, this has *saved* my skin and is what I've been using daily ever since.

For application though, I've noticed that you need to give this a moment to kind of "set" before applying foundation.. Some of my primers I can just slap em on then immediately apply a liquid or powder overtop, not with this.. It needs to be given about 3minutes to completely dry and set, and then it's good to go!

Thankfully, this also hasn't given me any issues with clogged pores or breakouts which is something I always have to be careful with having finicky skin. (this is a silicone loaded primer though so if your finicky skin is sensitive to them this will not be for you unfortunately)

I don't think I'd recommend this to someone with super oily skin in the middle of a humid summer, but I imagine it'd work great year-round for a drier skin type, and I definitely recommend it for any skin type in cooler weather.

For me, this is a HolyGrail worthy winter-weather primer for smooth foundation application :)

**Update**
I continued to use this product throughout the winter of late 2012 / early 2013 with great success. Several weeks ago though the weather warmed back up (80's & 90's daily) so I tucked the remainder of this into my storage for next winter.
About a week ago I used a glycolic acid peel that dried my skin out a tad (slight peeling when applying foundation), and running back to this I went! &It saved me from those *dreaded* dry patches/flakes(thank goodness!)
I'll continue to use this until my oily skin evens itself back out with the humidity of summer, and then put it back again for this coming fall & winter. I would *highly* recommend this to dry skin types, normal skin types and combo/oily skin types who are prone to dehydrated patches or anyone looking for a great smooth makeup base. Hopefully it'll save your skin the way it's saved mine :)

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by smtiquia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It helps to make my pores look less noticeable, however monistat chaffing relief pwder-gel does a better job at concealing my pores. It is also cheaper than this one.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The label says that this is pink tinted, but it looks clear to me. Worked well, but caused my combination skin to break out.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2012 2:39:00 PM More reviews by LyraRising

I used to use Smashbox Photo Finish primer, but have been searching for a cheaper alternative. When I found this product at Shopper's DrugMart for like 5$ I was thrilled. I have 'normal' skin, and sometime like to use a primer with just a light powder overtop. With Smashbox I found this was all I needed for a light make-up day when my skin was in good condition. This doesn't have that feature, but it does make a nice smooth canvas for the foundation to be applied overtop. My only real problem is my skin has a tingly burning sensation after I apply it, it only lasts for a few minutes, but it's obviously not a good sign. I use it when I'm feeling desperate for perfect foundation, but only then.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2012 2:22:00 PM More reviews by EmiriamdD

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

A friend who uses DHC Velvet Skin Coat primer happened to spot Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Primer while we were in Ulta and remarked that the ingredients sounded a lot like the Velvet Skin Coat. Of course the Maybelline is a lot less spendy so I decided to give it a try. Very pleasant surprise! A tiny bit is all you need to make a very smooth canvas for your foundation--I use either powder or liquid. Skin feels truly velvety soft. I used to use Smashbox primer eons ago but I don't think it was any better than the Maybelline. And, of course, having product in a tube rather than a jar (cough, cough, L'Oreal) is a big plus.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 2:57:00 AM More reviews by MsDebbie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HIGH QUALITY FROM MAYBELLINE - GREAT FOR DRY SKIN
Who knew? I am so pleasantly surprised at the wonderful performance of Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Primer! This is a moisturizing gel formula which simply glides on and feels oh so silky. Pores and lines seem to disappear before I apply any concealer or foundation. It's fabulous and beats the more expensive cosmetic counter brands hands down. I really do look fresher and younger using this product ! LOVE IT!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2012 7:27:00 PM More reviews by Kkate142

I am on my second bottle of this stuff and really like it.I like the way it applies and feels on my skin.I love how conveinient the tube is.I also like that it is a gel.Not a cream.One thing I don't like is it takes a little while to dry, but for the results of the product it is totally worth it.I probably wouldnt reccommend this for oily skin, but I don't have oily skin so I wuldn't know how it works but it seems like it coould make someone who already has oily skin even worse.And the price is pretty nice too.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 11:13:00 PM More reviews by christyd2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like using Smashbox Photo Finish & Laura Geller Spackle, but didn't care for the price tag. Other than it being dry, my skin is super easy (not super sensitive, acne prone, or have a multitude of sins to hide), so I figured I'd be able to find a decent, cheaper alternative.

Yes, I did, but it actually took a few tries. Revlon Beyond Natural was way too greasy for me, Covergirl Simply Ageless burned, & Hard Candy Sheer Envy separated after only a couple weeks. (First sheer liquid would come out, then thicker white clumpy stuff. I had to dispense a lot of product so that I could mix them together wasting both time & product.)

Maybelline Age Rewind was the last drugstore brand I was going to try before switching back to Smashbox or Laura Geller. I am so glad I tried this! I alternate between powders like Studio Gear & Bare Minerals & liquids like Benefit's Hello Flawless. It locked in my moisturizer, made all my makeup types go on smoothly, & kept it in place all day just like SB & LG. Plus it comes in a pliable tube (so you can easily get every last bit unlike SB) & it cost less than $10.

It might be a little too thick for someone with oily skin, but if you have normal/dry skin & are looking for a cheaper alternative, I'd recommend giving this a try!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by Josie012

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this product over a month ago and I don't like it at all. It left my face very oily and the texture is is almost like petroleum jelly. It didn't help my makeup at all and because of the slippery oily/jelly-like texture, my makeup easily rubbed off. I personally don't like this and won't buy it again. And It broke me out a little.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/24/2012 5:18:00 PM More reviews by tomlul

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the most horrible product I have ever tried I think !
It is so oily and I just hated the gel texture that leaves my face so greasy. I also couldn't put on any make-up as nothing would set on my skin.
This product is complete rubbish !