Chanel Chance

3.8

on 11/25/2013 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

am i the only one that thinks that this smells a little bit menly??? but not in a unisex way.. i do not know... its a little overwhelming so if i apply it and get in the car right away i just start hating it... its better if your just going to the fresh air so it can soften a little.. still i wouls only wear it once every now and them... but i dont like it very much

on 11/18/2013 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I hate how strong this is. It's literally irritating. I spray ONE spray on the back of my neck and my eyes begin to water & itch, my nose clogs up & there is NOTHING I can do to remove it. It's one of those you spray in the air & RUN through. I'm insecure about it too because I feel like others can detect how strong it is. Thumbs down.

on 11/2/2013 10:14:00 PM

This smells like House of Chanel, poured some of each of their existing perfumes into one bottle. Very strange, boring scent. I'm not sure how the name fits with the scent, maybe it means that there is a Chance, that someone will like it, but most wont. Other than that, it's expensive and the bottle is boring.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like my Chanel's. I do. As the years have progressed, each have held their place on my vanity, and at times, I've changed in my opinion of them. But this one has surprised me. Very much surprised me.
I'm surprised I didn't sneeze. Pepper. And more pepper. Throughout it's entire run. I know I'm not the only one that experienced this reaction. The first time, I thought, perhaps it's me, or the weather, or my chemicals, or whatever can change a scent on a person. But no, that's all I would ever smell. Each time I experienced Chance. Heavy pepper.
I like pepper in a perfume. As long as there are other notes that blend surreptitiously into the blend. But for me, apparently there is no chance of adding additional variety to this brew. It's a one spice dish that didn't work for me. On the up side, it did last for a good four hours or so.
Top Notes: Iris, Patchouli, Pineapple, Pink Pepper, Hiacynth.
Middle Notes: Jasmine, Lemon.
Base Notes: Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver.

on 11/1/2013 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a great fragrance. It smells heavenly, to me. It's kind of expensive but a little goes a long way so it should last you a really long time. They say it is for younger perfume users but I think it is great for every woman who wants to smell beautiful and youthful.

on 10/19/2013 5:29:00 PM

Definitely the EDP version is much smoother, softer and rich.

on 10/19/2013 5:22:00 PM

I love this perfume!!! It stays on forever and everyone compliments me on how great I smell whenever I put it on. Im currently on my third bottle.

on 9/20/2013 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My review is for Chance EDT, and I must agree with reviewer below when she says, "overwhelmingly spicy and peppery with a sharp citrus edge".

EDIT 5/2/15: See the end -- I just bought EDP version today, and it's much better -- smoother.

Back to my review of the EDT:

A little too peppery for me (pink pepper + patchouli) -- and it gets on my nerves a bit. I wish that aspect would fade away -- but it never really does, and I'm always aware of it. It smells prickly, like cayenne or paprika -- doesn't completely blend with the rest of the otherwise beautiful scent -- which is kind of annoying. I wish I could completely love Chance, and I keep trying (also Coco Mademoiselle, which is so similar).

Notes, per Parfumo.net:
Top Notes: Pineapple, Hyacinth, Iris, Pink pepper
Heart Notes: Jasmine, Citruses
Base Notes: Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver

Notes, per Fragrantica: "There are pink pepper, lemon and pineapple in the top notes. The heart encompasses hyacinth, jasmine and iris, while the base is composed of amber, patchouli, vetiver and white musk."

I've had a small 1oz Chance EDT spray for a long time, and I've only used about 1/2 of it. I thought I'd give it a try again two days ago -- ugh, so sharp, spicy, thin, and *strong* -- even for an EDT. When it dries down, it gets more cohesive and blended, but there's still that pepper note that stays harsh and protrudes from the overall fragrance.

Many years ago, I came near a wonderful-smelling lady in the produce section of the grocery store -- and began trying to guess what her perfume was. I could tell it was a complex mixture -- with fruit & vanilla -- and I thought it might be Burberry Brit -- so I complimented & asked her perfume, and she said it was Chance. I liked it much better on her than I ever have on myself.

I have seen in long-ago articles that Anne Hathaway's perfume was Chance -- also Rita Ora, she said she loved it. But that was before they fronted other perfumes.

ADDENDUM 5/1/15: According to the May 11, 2015 Us Magazine, page 4, "What's In My Bag", the spilled contents of Nastia Liukin's bag includes a bottle of Chanel Chance, and in the photo it's EDT (has clear lid). Nastia, age 25, is a retired Olympic Gold gymnast & current competitor on Spring 2015's "Dancing With The Stars" (pro partner is Derek Hough).

ADDENDUM 5/2/15: I just bought the EDP today at Ulta and the EDP (solid mirrored lid) is much smoother. Still spicy but richer, smoother, and the notes come together better. Worth it to spend the extra money for EDP, in my humble opinion.

For EDT version I'd give 3 lippies -- but for EDP I'd give 4 lippies.

on 9/20/2013 9:25:00 AM

The initial strength of this fragrance put me off this, it is overwhelmingly spicy and peppery with a sharp citrus edge. For me this was one of those fragrances that give an instant headache. After a while though the dry down was much more pleasant and soft although a little boring. The fragrance description on Fragrantica says that pineapple is one of the top notes, and I can detect a very faint sickly sweetness like artificial candied pineapple, but for me this is eclipsed by the pink pepper. I have a large sample size of this and I wouldn't purchase a full size. It is not worth putting up with the initial strong spice notes to get to the very average floral heart of this fragrance.

on 9/15/2013 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely adore this scent, it's so, just..... PRETTY! However, for some reason it doesn't last long at all. 2-3 hours and I can't smell it anymore (I wear the EDP by the way) :(

Popular Fragrances