Essie Mint Candy Apple

4.2

on 10/28/2013 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is not really a mint color, more of a light pastel blue. I still think it's a gorgeous color. It's opaque in two coats and stays put for a week without chipping with a top coat. I personally love essie's thinner brushes. It gives me much more control. Love it and I will definitely repurchase!!

on 10/26/2013 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I absolutely love this color. To me, it's a HG mint. I'm a huge fan of minty and turquoise-ish colors, so I'm surprised that I didn't buy this sooner. I think MCA is one of those colors that looks good on any skin tone. To me, it somehow looks more robin's egg blue on my nails than inside the bottle (see pic on profile).
I found the formula for MCA to be a little thick and sometimes streaky, which is the reason why I took off a lippie. But, I discovered that application is a lot easier and more successful if you just apply thin coats and make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before putting on another coat. First coat was really streaky for me, but you can usually get full opacity in two coats if you're careful. Sometimes it might take three coats to even out any bald spots or random imperfections, though. Thankfully, it self-levels and evens out really well, so once it's dry and you put a topcoat on, most imperfections will melt away. Most Essie polishes that I own usually last 6-7 days with a topcoat (I've been using Orly Sec 'n Dry lately, it's seriously underrated and 3-free) and Mint Candy Apple is no exception.

on 10/6/2013 2:04:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This nail polish is really a beautiful shade. I bought it for around $8 at Ulta and I really love it. It's almost a mixture between tiffany blue and mint; which I find to be really flattering on my skin tone. Like all Essie nail polishes the packaging is really cute and I like the brush/applicator. This is really opaque and I can get away with 1 coat, but I normally apply 2 to get the colors full intensisty.
Side Note: It is one of the few nail polishes I own that I don't make a mess with. I SUCK at applying nail polish!

on 9/22/2013 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Beautiful blue-mint color, love it!

on 9/12/2013 6:35:00 PM

Love this minty color, it is easy to put and stays 3-4 days without chipping on me.

on 8/11/2013 5:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have a love-hate relationship with this polish, although most of the time it's love haha. I find this colour can be a bit chalky at times, a streaky when you're not careful with applying it, especially when you're reaching the bottom half of the bottle. The problem is that when you have less than half a bottle of it left, and your brush only has so much polish on it, that when you apply a layer, it dries before you can dip your brush back into the bottle to finish the rest of the nail - causing streaking. That's also one of my other issues with Essie - the small brush! It takes several brush strokes to cover my nail bed, and especially when I have longer nails too. :P However, if you're careful with it, you can get a gorgeous turquoise. And like all Essie polishes, this stuff can easily last on your nails without any wear or chipping for at least five days. You'll see a bit of wear on your tips after that.

I don't know if I'd repurchase this if I run out. It's also super hard to find in stores and salons, so I have to buy it online. I will probably though since I love the finished result so much... but I'd consider getting In the Cabana since that one looks like a great blue as well. ;)

on 8/4/2013 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I was really looking for a minty green, when I applied it, it looked Robin egg blue. Now that it has dried I can see a hint of mint. Went on kind of streaky, would like to try another color of this brand before I become a fan or not.

on 8/3/2013 3:47:00 PM

First of all, the color is AMAZING! I had it on my nails ,and now on my toes, and it looks good, especially if you're tanned. Even though its pricey (Essie, duh...), its worth it because the quality is excellent (lasts long), and i only needed one coat.

on 7/26/2013 8:55:00 PM

I love this one! It goes on perfectly in two coats ! The color is beautiful and it doesn't streak ! Ill buy another one when I'm getting low for sure !

on 7/22/2013 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

As beautiful of a color as this is, I've given up trying to make it work for me. I have close to 50 Essie polishes, and this one has the worst wear for me. Even with my favorite base and top coats, I can't get it to last any more than a day. It goes on beautifully, without streaks and opaque in two coats. But for the life of me I can't get it to last withuot chipping. I think maybe I just got a bad bottle because most other rewviews about the wear time are fabulous. Otherwise, the color is perfect. Clean and crisp.

Popular Polishes