Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair

Price: $

on 5/23/2013 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've had a MASSIVE cherry angioma in the middle of my face for over a decade. Even my own mom thought it was ugly. My boyfriend was constantly saying "oh hey you have a big zit." It was raised and concealer wasn't helping. I went to a derm who offered to laser it off for the hefty sum of $300, plus weeks of downtime with bruising. I declined.

On the net some people had mentioned that if you scratch it with a CLEAN pin until it bleeds, then apply vinegar 3x a day until it scabs over, it can disappear. I was skeptical but had nothing to lose. You know if you are doing this process right because the vinegar does sting a bit. You can stop applying vinegar once the scab forms.

It scabbed over and looked really gross. I now had a giant black scab in the middle of my face. Terrific. But I managed not to pick at it even once, which is a miracle on its own, and left it alone. 2 weeks later, the scab fell off the the angioma was GONE. It's like magic. It's just GONE. For free instead of $300. I am THRILLED!

on 5/2/2013 11:31:00 PM

Purchased a bottle from Walmart (Great Value Brand) because I heard it would remove warts. Well, let me tell you...IT WORKS. My son has a dime size wart on his finger and after using ACV once, it has gone down a lot! I simply soaked a cotton ball and secured it with a band aid before going to bed. I think another 2-3 nights of this should do the trick.

on 4/24/2013 11:00:00 AM

Ok, so I only break this out on nights when I'm staying in and won't offend anyone with the ungodly stench. This stuff burns my eyes, it smells so bad, and I'll never get used to it.
HOWEVER, it has really helped with my skin! I've been using it for two weeks, and my skin is really clear and less oily, and my red acne marks are fading! It's also super nifty for a clarifying/shine rinse. Highly Recommend!

on 4/24/2013 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

So, I have to preface this by mentioning the smell. It is appalling. It smells like bad white wine and gym socks, and the only thing that has made me physically gag just because of the smell. That said, it's a testament to how well it works, because the result makes it so worth it. I use it only on my hair (I wanted to try it on my face, but the thought of that smell sitting on my skin horrified me.) After shampooing, I pour this mixed with equal parts water through my hair, and leave it for 4-5 minutes, breathing through my mouth, and then I rinse it out. After, I apply conditioner, just to get the smell out, though my hair feels soft already. The smell remains a little, but disappears once the hair is dry, and my hair is gorgeous! I have long, thick, straight hair, down to my hips, so it doesn't give me a lot of body, but it makes it so clean, shiny, and soft that my hair feels almost slippery. Also, I use a deep waver on my hair every other day, and this, deep conditioner, and olive oil keep my hair healthy as hell. If you can handle the smell, I can't recommend this enough.

on 3/26/2013 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ok, I am another one of those people ACV works for. I use just any generic ACV -- no special brand. No clue why some things work for some people and not for others but I suspect this works for people who either have oily hair or use hair products that need clarifying out. My hair is curly and dry on the ends but I have an oily scalp. Makes my hair so shiny and soft! I was afraid to try it at first but figured that at worst I'd just have to go back and use more conditioner if it made my hair dry. (Baking soda made my hair so dry and awful it was almost scary but conditioning worked.) Anyway, remember ymmv (your mileage may vary:)) but it's a great, cheap choice if you are one of those whose hair likes it!

on 3/21/2013 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

After reading the last review, I wanted to add one too. I also used this as a hair rinse and I got very dry, straw-like, tangly hair. I DID use apple cider vinegar, not white vinegar, and I also diluted it with water. I don't have hard water where I live. I think the results depend more than anything else on the kind of hair that you have. I think people who maybe have oily or normal hair to begin with, or whose hair is already fairly sleek or fine naturally, would probably get good results. But I would say to stay away if you have naturally dry, frizzy, coarse hair (like me). I do drink this, though, and even though I don't really notice any difference, but then again, I was already healthy before I started drinking it, and I didn't have any health issues. I use a straw to drink it (diluted in water) and after drinking it I use a mouthwash of baking soda diluted in water, since it's supposed to be bad for your teeth.

on 3/11/2013 8:15:00 PM

I have tried ACV (I used Braggs with "the mother") as a toner for acne with little luck.

However, I had a plantar wart once for 12 years and apple cider vinegar was the only thing that took care of that thing! I scraped the wart down everyday and put a ton of ACV on a cotton ball then duck taped it to my foot. I left it on for 24 hours before taking it off and repeating the process. It hurt like a mother once it started working ~ you have to fight through.

I haven't tried it for my hair yet, but I see a lot of people who are having issues with it drying their hair: A lot of the bad reviews are due to the fact that they're using plain white vinegar and not apple cider vinegar. Big difference there!

I also take apple cider vinegar internally, and since doing so I feel healthier in a multitude of ways, but I don't know what it's directly attributed to. I can't imagine the ACV is hurting matters though! Go alkalinity!

on 3/11/2013 5:25:00 PM

I love cheap, multi-purpose products, so I was eager to try vinegar on my coarse, thin hair to give it some shine. It made my already dry hair even dryer, whatever shine it imparted came at the cost of stripping my haircolor (Revlon Colorsilk Medium Brown), and left the standard sharp vinegar odor until my hair was no longer wet, but the ghost of vinegar came back to haunt my nose when I worked out the next day and my hair was damp with sweat. I'll never use it on my hair again.

As a postscript, I read that vinegar in the rinse cycle will diminish static cling, so I tried some white vinegar out on a load of sweat pants, (acrylic!) sweaters, and nylon socks and discovered that vinegar can be disappointing in the realm of laundry as well. The static from that load was the same as any other of similar fabric content without the added step of being around to put it in the dispenser at the right time.

I'm leaving vinegar for salads and cleaning the coffee maker.

on 3/4/2013 2:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I absolutely cannot believe how manageable this makes my hair after applying. My hair is highlighted blonde and is often dry/has split ends/breaks easily. I use this about 2x a month now, and my hair is so silky and smooth after.

I use 1 part vinegar 2 parts water, shake it up in an empty shampoo bottle and apply for 5 mins in the shower, then rinse and condition. I have no idea what the chemical reaction behind this is, but I'm thoroughly impressed!

on 2/20/2013 4:23:00 AM

I'd never considered reviewing this product until I saw the other reviews. I thought I'd add my thoughts.
1. This has been used in cooking and salads for years. We already know that.
2. Diluted into a plain shampoo, it cuts grease and product build-up like a boss. A few drops works really well.
3. It can be used to clean your home (1 cup to one gallon of water cuts grease, is easy on floors, counters, etc. and no film)
4. Diluted into a spray bottle with water cleans mirrors to a high shine with zero streaks. I use newspaper.
5. I use it during colds - it breaks up mucous in the body without over the counter medicines and saves money. I drink it as a tonic with cayenne and Grade B maple syrup.
6. It can be used to clean soap scum and residue from the dishwasher - 1 cup in the base of the washer, run for a full cycle.
7. It can be used to disinfect and de-germ tub jets. Really great for those with sensitive skin and will not damage the pipes in the machinery.
8. In the bath - 1 cup in a warm tub of water rejuvenates the skin and perks me up. I cannot explain why this works, all I know is that when I don't get enough sleep or feel sluggish or lethargic, this gives me a lift.
9. I've read that it clears acne, contact dermatitis, warts, varicose veins, and other skin problems. I can only vouch for the effect it has on pimples. It dries them out without drying out the skin or making matters worse.

10. Kills Candida (and yeast infections) and fungus, and populates the gut with friendly microflora (good bacteria and yeast). This usually stops sugar cravings as well. THIS I have tested and with regular use it works for me.

I think it's important to note that the only brand I use is Bragg's Organic. I buy two bottles at a time; one for the house, one for personal use.

Popular Hair Products