September 1, 2014 | 1998 users online

Hair - Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by kayben

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love cheap, multi-purpose products, so I was eager to try vinegar on my coarse, thin hair to give it some shine. It made my already dry hair even dryer, whatever shine it imparted came at the cost of stripping my haircolor (Revlon Colorsilk Medium Brown), and left the standard sharp vinegar odor until my hair was no longer wet, but the ghost of vinegar came back to haunt my nose when I worked out the next day and my hair was damp with sweat. I'll never use it on my hair again.

As a postscript, I read that vinegar in the rinse cycle will diminish static cling, so I tried some white vinegar out on a load of sweat pants, (acrylic!) sweaters, and nylon socks and discovered that vinegar can be disappointing in the realm of laundry as well. The static from that load was the same as any other of similar fabric content without the added step of being around to put it in the dispenser at the right time.

I'm leaving vinegar for salads and cleaning the coffee maker.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 2:48:00 AM More reviews by glllkt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I absolutely cannot believe how manageable this makes my hair after applying. My hair is highlighted blonde and is often dry/has split ends/breaks easily. I use this about 2x a month now, and my hair is so silky and smooth after.

I use 1 part vinegar 2 parts water, shake it up in an empty shampoo bottle and apply for 5 mins in the shower, then rinse and condition. I have no idea what the chemical reaction behind this is, but I'm thoroughly impressed!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2013 4:23:00 AM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'd never considered reviewing this product until I saw the other reviews. I thought I'd add my thoughts.
1. This has been used in cooking and salads for years. We already know that.
2. Diluted into a plain shampoo, it cuts grease and product build-up like a boss. A few drops works really well.
3. It can be used to clean your home (1 cup to one gallon of water cuts grease, is easy on floors, counters, etc. and no film)
4. Diluted into a spray bottle with water cleans mirrors to a high shine with zero streaks. I use newspaper.
5. I use it during colds - it breaks up mucous in the body without over the counter medicines and saves money. I drink it as a tonic with cayenne and Grade B maple syrup.
6. It can be used to clean soap scum and residue from the dishwasher - 1 cup in the base of the washer, run for a full cycle.
7. It can be used to disinfect and de-germ tub jets. Really great for those with sensitive skin and will not damage the pipes in the machinery.
8. In the bath - 1 cup in a warm tub of water rejuvenates the skin and perks me up. I cannot explain why this works, all I know is that when I don't get enough sleep or feel sluggish or lethargic, this gives me a lift.
9. I've read that it clears acne, contact dermatitis, warts, varicose veins, and other skin problems. I can only vouch for the effect it has on pimples. It dries them out without drying out the skin or making matters worse.

10. Kills Candida (and yeast infections) and fungus, and populates the gut with friendly microflora (good bacteria and yeast). This usually stops sugar cravings as well. THIS I have tested and with regular use it works for me.

I think it's important to note that the only brand I use is Bragg's Organic. I buy two bottles at a time; one for the house, one for personal use.

21 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2013 3:56:00 AM More reviews by Nocturnefata

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a multi part review.

1. Hair: Both my husband and myself have used this for it's healing properties on the scalp. It cleaned very well and also cleared up my mild SD in one go. My husband has more then I do and it will take more treatments to clear up I think but there was a substantial improvement. I will say for my part that it made my hair quite dry with the 4 to 1 ratio. But I figured out why. I don't have any product build up. I don't use styling products and my conditioners are silicone free. I also have a thyroid condition and vitamin deficiencies that make my hair a bit dry to begin with. Chances are if you had a bad run with ACV for hair, one of these applies to you.

2. Weight Loss: I didn't notice any "pounds lost" but after taking 1x daily and a few days of 2x a day for about a week I did notice a few things. I took 2 tablespoons in a 16 oz glass of water with a touch of raw honey or organic maple syrup.

a. I had a slight decrease in fat mass at the bra line and upper stomach area.

b. I was less bloated

c. I had less cravings for food and my appetite was decreased (this is bad for me as I have trouble eating enough food as it is)

d.I felt as if I digested and eliminated much much better.

e. More energy

f. Less pain in joints and sinuses

g. I slept slightly better

3. Skin:

After using it on our hair my husband who has bacne, got worse. I think he purged. Mine also got worse but seemed to heal quickly over the course of taking acv internally( I am prone to a few clogged pores on my back but I got a few minor pimples) . I also noticed I got a few small pimples elsewhere. Once again they came and went within the week or less.

OVERALL: I think this stuff is great and will keep using it. I will use a spray bottle method next time for my scalp so my hair isn't as dry. I may also use this on my skin. I think taking it internally is brilliant and you should give it a go.

EDIT: I ONLY USE BRAGGS! YOU NEED THE MOTHER OR IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2013 3:44:00 AM More reviews by eatmyshort

This review is for Bragg's Organic apple cider vinegar. I thought I was the only one who got had by the reviews. This stuff dries out my hair and on top of that, it really stinks! It takes several washes to get the smell completely off. I used the Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar brand diluted like everyone mentioned. Horrible is you are getting ready for a special event/date/wedding/party. The smell and dryness ruin it for my special day. Be careful when use Bragg's apple cider Vinegar internally. It is very corrosive to the teeth enamel. It is also very painful on the stomach due to the excessive acid. I get better result simply using lemon or lime to alkaline by body. Lemon has no nasty odor. You can dilute demon and it gives gorgeous result on skin hair and not too harsh on the stomach lining. If you are looking to put friendly probiotic bacterias into your body, you can use kefir , yogurt, fermented veggies such as kimchi. They are tasty , help your immune system, clear your skin, put healthy bacterias back into your system without the harshness , stinky, bad taste of vinegar. Same health benefits, without all the side effects. In addition, fermented veggies also give you fiber and extra vitamins and minerals and they help you to shed off the fat. I don't think these businesses want people to know that. be ware. beware of those reviews that only has a few reviews, no other history of reviews, or most of the reviews are on the same date to make it look like it has a history. Keep in mind that real reviews tend to have both pros and cons. If all the reviews are ravings , it's probably a fake. businesses are now buying reviews on many websites on the internet that specializes in selling reviews. Go to Fiverr and see how many Joe Dick and Harry are posting ads to do reviews for $5. That's only one website. There are a bunch of websites that specialize in doing paid reviews. They also hire people to do youtube video reviews for them. When a product get too many reviews and you don't know a single person who uses it. It's probably paid reviews bought and paid for my the business. be ware!!! Businesses know that you can get money on a patent on a man made product like Bragg's Vinegar but you cannot patent naturally grown a lemon straight from the earth.

7 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2013 3:28:00 AM More reviews by zerp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I feel totally ripped off by my once trusted makeupalley reviews.

After shampooing I got a mixture of 1 part acv to 4 part water and poured it over my head and ends and let it sit for a bit, then rinsed thoroughly. I was so excited to try it after reading all the reviews here.

Next day, my ends were like straw. They were dry and frizzly and extremely tangled. What the hell happened, makeupalley, I trusted you. Not anymore.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 2:22:00 AM More reviews by sunkissed0327

first time i used this on my hair and wow, now it looks shinY:) have been using this for a month now for my acne and as what ive said before it does really work on my skin but i never really realized it's gonna work on my hair as well! ive read the previous reviews here when ACV is used as a conditioner but then i realized that since it stinks, what i did was i shampooed my hair first, rinsed, put on about 50 cc of acv undiluted, spreaded it all over my hair, put on my hair cap and left it for a couple of minutes then rinsed it(felt soft already), then i put on the conditioner to remove the smell and rinsed again.my hair turned out really shiny and i didnt even have to iron it to get it straight yeah, it works for the skin and hair-and i just love it already :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 5:35:00 AM More reviews by LasVegasTia

LOVE LOVE LOVE this product inside and out (of my body lol)

Nothing like a shot of this apple cider vinegar after a meal to boost your digestive system
Nothing like this apple cider vinegar mixed with distilled water and/or ginger tea to clear up your skin!
Nothing like this ACV mixed with warm water to make my little sister (and dogs) hair shine after a shampoo!
I cannot wait to do some more investigations on "how to use" this wonderful wonderful product!
(makes amazing Dijon salad dressing too ;) )
I just wish the packaging came in Travel friendly size :( Im addicted!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by nwysca

Wow! Just, wow! I came on MUA to check for something to use on my hair and the ACV rinse worked AMAZINGLY well!

I was very hesitant to not use any other conditioner but this made my hair SUPER shiny and soft. I've read that it's recommended to be used only once a week and I really can't wait to do it again. And so cheap too!

How I used it:
I filled a spray bottle with half water, half ACV. I had some left over that I left in a measuring cup as well. I went in the shower and washed and rinsed my hair with shampoo as I normally do. Then, I squeezed the excess water out of my hair and sprayed on the ACV mix. I then poured the leftover ACV mix on my head. I left it to sit while I finished my shower and then rinsed it out completely and ended with a rinse of cool water.

Thank you so much MUA for getting me to try this!! HG material for sure!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2013 3:31:00 AM More reviews by zeusandcoco

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I originally bought ACV as I'd read a lot of the reviews on here about it clearing up acne, so I had high hopes it would have the same effect for me. I used it religiously for a few months with great results, but sadly after a few months it just stopped working.
It did help to clear up my puppy's 'teenage' acne too, however it was only a temporary fix also.
I think this method would most likely be suited to girls who wear a lot of make up or those who naturally have oily skin.
But my top marks for it are because of how well it clarifies my hair. I have recently read up on the horrible effects of animal testing so have refused to continue using my half-used bottle of Matrix Normalising Shampoo for this very reason. ACV does the same job and is a tenth of the price, no it doesn't smell the best but I'd rather deal with a bit of smell than knowing I'm contributing to the horrible and unnecessary process of animal testing.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No