September 30, 2014 | 1976 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 3:44:00 PM More reviews by zerotic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

It's my first time trying it today and so far I really like it! I got a tester on it in the color "Deauville" and the color is a little bit off. I got yellow undertones, but this color were too yellow for my skin - swatching it on my skin it looked orange, but applied on my face it looked ok. I have already ordered a tester on it in the color "Gobi" and hope it will suit me better. So far I think the color range looks a little bit lame - they got a nice bunch of light colors, but not a BIG range. I actually think I have to mix two different colors to get my perfect/almost perfect match...

I applied it with my damp Beautyblender, and I've read that this foundation is hard to blend. I didn't find it difficult, but I had to work a little bit with it. This foundation ain't smooth when applied to the skin. It can feel a little bit dry and you have to blend really well to make it look even on the skin. I guess applying this with a brush could be difficult, but with the BB it went quite well. The hardest part was to blend it around my mouth and nose, were my skin isn't that moist. I guess this foundation will be REALLY BAD for those with dry skin, because this stuff is quite dry. Or quite... VERY dry. On the other hand, it's not drying - I got a some kind of combinated skin, sometimes I'm oily, sometimes normal, sometimes acne prone. I'm in a oily period now, and my skin seems to love the foundation so far.

After applying it, the foundation didn't oxidize. It stayed the same color through out the day. It's about 8 hours since I applied it - and my skin is still extremely matte!!! I've used a setting powder - MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - but this powder ain't the reason why my skin is still matte, it's the foundation. My skin looks so good and almost flawless - the foundation covers ok, I will say it's a medium coverage - if it's buildable, I do not know - but I guess since it's so dry, it won't be easy to build it up to a full coverage. I won't even try. My skin looks really healthy and pretty, and I can see a tiny bit of natural glow - don't get me wrong, I'm suuuuper matte at the moment, but somehow and somewhat, there's a hint of glow. And I really really REALLY like it.

I will continue using it, and see if I change my mind. So far, it's good. Great first impression, beautiful coverage, amazing finish and it's lightweight and pleasent on the skin. If it stays this good until I'm done with the tester, I will definitely buy the full sized bottle! Only thing I don't like about the foundation bottle, is the fact that it doesn't come with a pump. Of course I can buy it separately, but still... Will update if I change my mind. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 1/29/2014 1:18:00 AM More reviews by joeykeen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

- My skin: NC25, combination (oily in T zone, normal on cheeks with some dry patches around my nose)
- I tried this in shade Ceylan (sample from sephora) which was a good colour match for my NC 25 skin
- Coverage - seems medium after 1 layer, I didn't try a second layer
- I tried this with: Paula's choice mattifying primer + MUFE HD powder to set
- Application: this was extremely difficult to apply! First I tried my fingers, but it was super streaky, and emphasized my dry patches like crazy. Then I tried a beautyblender, but it ended up blotchy and uneven in my T zone. I was unable to apply this to my forehead and nose whatsoever, and since I was in a hurry this AM, I just finished up my nose and forehead with my usual foundation. Coverage on my cheeks was OK, though my blush and contour didn't hold up throughout the day (compared with hourglass tinted moisturizer, which did help my contour last throughout the day)
- Summary: definitely will not be purchasing this. This might be the most difficult to apply foudnation I've ever tried.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by snaket0ngue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm not sure, but I think I've found my HG foundation! I've only been using this for a few days, but it is the only foundation I've ever worn that doesn't look cakey. I have extremely large pores (even Porefessional can't hide them) as well as tons of acne scars, so most foundations look really clumpy/cakey on my skin. However, this one doesn't! The shade (Macao) is a perfect match to my chest and two layers completely hides my dark spots/discoloration. I do recommend applying this in stippling motions over scars however, it gives it much better coverage.

The only cons I would say is that this does not control my oil whatsoever. I have to blot after an hr, which is normal for me, but a foundation that advertises "Matte" in its name should have better oil control. Also, this foundation transfers really easily (with the slightest touch) and the packaging is horrendous. There is no pump and to get the product out of the bottle I have to repeatedly tap it against my hands, which can be time consuming. But, all in all, I'm willing to overlook these cons in favor of a more natural skin look.

EDIT: So I've been using for roughly a month now and I LOVE it! Definitely my HG foundation! It's a bit pricier than other foundations that I've used, but definitely worth it! I realized that it was my primer causing me to be oiler (Benefit's Porefessional) and after discontinuing use I see a big difference in the longevity of my matteness. This stuff is GREAT, from the color, to the finish, to the coverage (after two layers). I would definitely recommend this to anybody suffering from large pores and oily skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2014 10:58:00 PM More reviews by saturnlom647

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hi,

I am a guy with super oily face and I sweat a lot. I was looking for a foundation that does not make me look like I am wearing makeup and will keep my oil at bay and will not slide off my face because of sweat. I have only tried a few foundation (MAC Studio Fix Powder, Bare Minerals Matte, MUFE HD) but my face will become oily after just one hour of applying them. The mua at Nars matched me to shade Stromboli which is a perfect match for my NC37-40 SHADE.

Pros:
-Good color match for me
-Keeps me matte for more than 8 hours
-Looks like skin and my friends couldnt tell if im wearing foundation or not (must for a guy)
-will stay on my sweaty face
-did not break me out

Cons:
-Price.
- No pump

I think i have finally found my hg foundation. I will definitely buy this again.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by lolasfes

Ladies with dry skin: you want to avoid buying this! As a moisturizer, I use Chanel Repair Line Day cream and before applying this foundation, I have to make sure to apply Mac's moisturizer (don't remember the name) to make sure I don't look like cracked sand the day after.

I love the matte finish, I love the color but it dries my skin to hell!! And I'm pretty sure it did cause a little breakout...

Not really worth it: for that price, as a high end product, it shouldn't hurt your skin like it does.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by knightranch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love(d) this foundation. I have no issue with the consistency, it does not seem too thick or thin, applied easily. I also don't mind that it doesn't have a pump, maybe I'm old school but I had no problems with the bottle. I never get the comments about pumpless cosmetics being unhygenic, I wash my hands before I apply my makeup, so how would that be unhygenic? Anyway, it has good coverage, although I sheer it out with moisturizer because it is more of a medium coverage on me rather than sheer. The Mont Blanc shade is almost spot on for my fair, cool complexion although it could be a bit pinker. It has good staying power and stays matte for several hours considering my skin is very oily. Sadly, it does not get along with my mild rosacea and breaks me out in small pimples. I tested it for a week to be sure it was the foundation, and alas, it was. So, returning it to Nordstrom, dang it!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Helenaboo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After considering either the NARS sheer glow or sheer matte foundation I decided to go with the sheer matte because of my combination skin. I get oily on the t-zone and chin, and thought this foundation would be perfect for me.

I have fair skin, and the lady at Sephora helped me pick out the shade Mont Blanc which has a pink undertone. This shade is perfect for my skin, and makes it look so natural. The foundation has a good coverage, I have a few spots around my chin and it covers them perfectly. I apply this foundation with my Real techniques expert face brush - I highly recommend this brush! It gives me a flawless finish. Before getting this brush I used my hands, and I did not get the same finish as I have had after using the RT brush.
The packaging is not that practical if you don't have the pump - it is hard to get the right amount and unhygienic. Still NARS has managed to make this foundation look classy and high-end, which it is.

This foundation does take after it's name - it makes your my face completely matte.
If I don't apply bronzer, blush and highlighter after then my face would look unhealthy!
After I set the foundation with my Rimmel Stay matte powder it lasts all day, so I am very pleased with this foundation. I recommend this to people with combination skin like me, but I am not sure if this foundation suits those with very oily skin. I have read other reviews where people have had breakouts after using the foundation, but this has never happened to me!

Will repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/15/2013 1:50:00 PM More reviews by mystash

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The store I bought this from doesn't sell the pump. It's too hard to get out of the bottle. I like that it is sheer, and the color Syracuse was the one I bought. Unfortunately I got itchy from it. I have oily AND sensitive skin, so it's hard for me to find an oil control foundation that doesn't itch my face. I hoped this would be the one, but no.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by amandagavin1994

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a big fan of Nars products its one of the few brands that match my really pale skin, I bought this in siberia (the lightest shade) and at first it seemed really great, it has a matte finish and a light/medium coverage but it is buildable. I wanted something less heavy than Estee Lauder's double wear because as much as I loved it it caused me to break out badly and you needed a chisel to get it off.

The main upside is the colour as it really matches perfectly but the product does seem to gather in my pores after a couple of hours and eventually slides off my face which is odd for a matte foundation. Even when my skin isn't particularly dry it clings to patches around my nose which is very obvious being such a light colour.

I think this foundation would suit someone with skin less prone to breakouts. The packaging is useless without a pump. I am still wearing it a couple of times a week under a primer which helps a little but I wont be buying it again, its not worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by iceskater719

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First i'd like to say i only rated the packaging a 5 because i bought the pump. without the pump it would be terrible. I really love this foundation. i dont use it anymore because i bought the wrong color but if i had it would be great. the only downside to this is that it rubs off. i could just wipe my hand on my face and my finger would be covered in it. this is great for oily skin