July 28, 2014 | 2007 users online

Treatments (Face) - LUSH - Grease Lightning Spot Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 6:03:00 AM More reviews by ihoardmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this! I have oily skin (but not super acne prone: I don't get large breakouts very much) this is definitely my product! Love that this is more on the natural side, not so harsh on the skin. I use a tea tree organic face cleanser to clean, baking soda to exfoliate, and this after my toner and moisturizer and can I say WOW. This works great for people like me who may not have perfect skin but don't suffer from anything major. This may not work for those with cystic acne (which, if you have, you should probably go see a doctor) or extremely acne prone skin. But if you have sensitive skin this will be great because it doesn't have any harsh or drying properties to it! Love that it dries very fast as well! With this added to my skincare routine, I have been having less and less issues with my skin! Will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2013 10:29:00 PM More reviews by BeautyInTheFilth

i have been using this for a while now, and it lasts a long time for such a small bottle.It doesn't get rid of zits completely overnight,but it does calm down the redness and size . My acne marks have lightened a bit using this product,and its good at preventing future pimples. It's not a miracle worker, but its still a nice product

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by RachelMartinn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is GREAT I love it! I just got it yesterday, and I used it for the first time today and I noticed my pimples had shrunk within 30 minuets! Though, don't press too hard on the nozzle or it will come flowing out and it's just a waste! A little goes a long way:)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by yunibaek

At first, I didn't really understand what the hype was all about. It didn't do anything for my acne and instead, it made my skin shed terribly. People were noticing the flakes coming off my skin and told me to put moisturizer on. It was that EMBARASSING. I put it off for couple of weeks and then decided to give it another go. Surprisingly, it didnt shed my skin as bad as before and this time i rubbed it on until it was not visible. And ive been using it for almost two weeks, and All i can say is WOW. This isn't an overnight miracle worker; you have to be patient. But let me tell you, my skin has nver felt so much better. There are no harsh chemicals so it doesnt irritate or cause more redness like the Clean&Clear Persagel 10. It is honestly the best acne treatment I have encountered so far. Thank you LUSH

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 8:22:00 AM More reviews by calooza

This is not a miracle product, but it's quite effective.

Unfortunately, this doesn't cleared up my acne :-/ but it was a huge help... it really dries pimples fast, reduces redness, and no irritation or dryness. It's very gentle yet effective for those spots that have inflamation and redness. The morning after they are smaller, less visible and starting to dry and not so sore and painful.

I also used it for a couple of months as a serum all over my face before my moisturiser during the day. And what i notice is that it controlled my oils all day. I barely see any shine on my face (i have oily skin) and my makeup would last longer. I found that really amazing, but eventually it stopped working :-/ after a while without using it, i used it again like this and worked again...but then stopped working .. bahhh. lol. so sad...

For me it's more efective as a spot treatment on my face. But i'm not buying it again because i need something stronger to control my acne (like acids).

I'm now using my last bottle on my back, because i have acne there after i changed my birth control, and so far so good. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 7:11:00 AM More reviews by hershieowef

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

it's a really effective product that puts a halt on emerging pimples so they don't continue to disgrace my complexion (LOL), but there are some who still wont budge and insist on appearing on my face. and for those stubborn nodular zits - those pesky bumps that hurt really bad - it shrinks them until they go away, but only after 4-5 days based on my experience. the pain is not this spot treatment's responsibility though, so i use white flower oil to lessen my agony and it also helps to treat the pimples with its methyl salicylate. the combination of the two products are my guaranteed spot killing regimen. the reason why im not giving a 5 is that i need another product (the white flower oil) to make it work most effectively for my skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 7:29:00 AM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Picked up a sample of this at Lush yesterday, and I am impressed! I had two painful little spots that I wanted to get rid of asap, and so I had read about this and decided to try a sample. I put some of this product over them lightly last night and woke up this morning and they're much smaller and dried out, so they'll definitely be gone by tomorrow. It's fast acting and feels really nice to apply. I'll be picking up the full sized bottle of this soon!

UPDATE: Meh. I was all about this the first few days using it as a spot treatment. It seems ineffective now. I'm back to using my Fresh Clay Mask from Sephora as an overnight spot treatment. Another trick I learned from Essiebutton's blog is to use straight up tea tree oil, which I purchased from The Body Shop for $9. It definitely works well!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2013 10:56:00 AM More reviews by alh011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this Grease Lightning for about 3 weeks now. I'm really loving it. Saying that, it's not a miracle worker. It didn't help clear up my acne overnight but long term it's really improved my skin.
I use it all over my face at night before I go to bed because I find that if I apply it to my entire face in the morning my makeup doesn't quite sit right. A lot of other people have said it's a great primer, but it only works as a primer for me if I'm going without makeup that day.
At night I apply an even layer all over, and an extra bit on actual pimples. Like I said, it's not a miracle worker and won't banish pimples overnight but it will definitely help.
During the day I apply a small amount to each pimple and let it dry before moisturising then applying makeup. You can't tell I'm wearing it like you can with a lot of other pimple treatments.
What I like most about this is that its effective without being drying. Most other acne treatments clear up my acne but leave my skin red raw and uncomfortable.
This product has become one of my fave go to products.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2013 7:17:00 PM More reviews by shelbyclarke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a decent spot treatment. I love that it's clear, I hate having white or green spots on my face that flake off and look terrible! It smells good, too.

But what it's really great for is reducing inflammation of a blemish. I've put this on very "angry" spots and within minutes the redness, heat, and size goes down.

The packaging is flawed, one full pump is usually too much product for my face (I've only got 1 or 2 problem areas that need it) so I try to press down really slowly to prevent so much from coming out.

It's not a miracle worker though, it works about as well as most other spot treatments I've used but it does have some "pros" worth considering.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 More reviews by estellanutella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have super oily skin (blot every 2 hours kinda deal) and I was recommended this by a friend to use as a primer under MUFE mat velvet. When I realized it was supposed to be a spot treatment, I decided to give it a try and I was shocked to discover that O M G this shit WORKS.

***AS SPOT TREATMENT FOR LIGHT ACNE***

Since Benzoyl Peroxide is too drying and bad for your skin in the long run and Salicylic acid doesn't do anything for me, I had pretty much given up on finding a worthy spot treatment. (I've also tried pure tea tree oil -- didn't notice any effect.) With Grease Lightning, I got a very generous sample portion, and tried it on the pimples on half my face and THEY DISAPPEARED OVERNIGHT. The ones on the other half of my face I put my usual "Fudicin cream" and only some of them faded. Obvi I ran out to LUSH and bought the full-size the next day!!

After a couple weeks:

- I find this works on: newly forming pimples, red patches prior to newly forming pimples, and small pimples

- does not work on: large pimples (though I don't get many anymore, some fudicin cream zaps the ones I do get in a couple days and was truly a life-saver once), whiteheads

***AS PRIMER FOR OILY SKIN***

I tried this as a primer under MUFE mat velvet (40). I put it on, let it sink for five minutes, then applied MUFE with a stipple. I did this at around 7pm, and went out dancing... until 7am. It stayed on. During mirror checks in-between, I did not look greasy until around 5 or so? Even so, when I blotted then, I only needed one piece (as opposed to 3!).

However! I tried this at the same time as trying MUFE mat velvet for the first time so I cannot say which product did most work but in conjunction, they were faaaaantastic for oil-control, BUT I did get a few small red pimples (which faded over-night) from MUFE despite having grease lightning as a primer.

P.S. It also smells amazing.

P.P.S. Why is it called a cleanser??

Edit: I noticed that people are complaining about its pump dispenser being wasteful. Just pump it into a sample container and voila! Perfect size to bring anywhere and no more waste.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No