Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

on 1/18/2013 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I really wanted to like this - I asked two girls in my office what kind of makeup they use and they both said this. Well, it may look great on them, but this just isn't for me.
The dealbreaker for me was that no matter how I applied it - it just settled into my laugh lines. I'd blot those lines away and then a few hours later, they would just reappear.
This also made me oilier than other mineral foundations I have tried. Maybe I would've liked the matte formula better...
Coverage was good, although I felt it always sat on the top of my skin and it was overall harder to blend than others.
This is probably a better fit for those with dry or even normal skin. I just couldn't get it to work on my oily complexion. My skin is acne prone though, and this did not break me out.
For reference, the other mineral foundations I have tried - Neutrogena Sheer Minerals, Signature Minerals, Meow Cosmetics, Everyday Minerals, Lucy Minerals, and Lumiere Cosmetics.

on 1/14/2013 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

It's a good product, and I certainly understand how others would love it so much, but it just isn't for me. I have combination skin, and it could be the way I apply, but sometimes I just feel gross and cakey with it on. It is nice though, and the colour medium tan matches me perfectly. (In the winter!)

on 12/11/2012 5:21:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I really wanted to love this product. I have tried it several times but have the following issues:

Color....even the lightest shade makes my face look dirty. I have only found one foundation that works for me without having this issue and this is NOT it!

I don't get a glow....No matter how much I buff, the sheen is flat and dull.

Flaky and makes fine lines look like deep wrinkles....Again, no matter how much I buff and how much I moisturize, my fine lines look like deep crevices.

This is a no go for me..... :(

on 12/10/2012 5:54:00 PM

This is my HG foundation! I have used so many foundations before but I feel like this is my #1. I have dry, sensitive, and acne-prone skin with some scarring so I can't use anything too drying. Also, foundations tend to break me out a lot but this doesn't. I love the shades as well too (mine is fair) and its not too expensive and lasts me a long time

on 12/10/2012 2:03:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Having tried a number of high end foundations (MAC Beauty Balm, MAC Studio Sculpt, MAC Studio Fix Fluid, MAC Mineralize Cream, MAC Studio Tech Cream, MUFE Mat Velvet, BE Original, MUFE HD, DiorSkin Extreme Wear, Bobbi Brown Skin liquid and cream compact), and drug store foundations (Meow Mineral, Revlon Colorstay, Revlon PhotoReady liquid and compact, Cover Girl Simply Ageless, L’Oreal True Match liquid and cream compact, EDM, Alima Mineral), this foundation stands out in a positive way. I have worn it off and on for years. But it is not my HG.

I have combination skin, and don't like to have too many layers (moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, foundation) on my face, so I love it when my primer/foundation combinations accomplish these goals:
1) Sophisticated Formula: a light-weight formula that feels nice on my face and isn’t cakey, oily, or highlighting dry patches;
2) Adjustable Coverage: a light-to-medium coverage foundation that can be built up enough to cover under eye circles and acne scarring (eliminates the need for concealer);
3) Low Maintenance: has enough oil-control for my T-zone, lasts throughout the day without the need for serious touch ups, and doesn’t transfer;
4) Ideal Color: product line has a shade that is as close to a perfect color match on my skin as possible;
5) Skin Care: cannot break me out or change my skin condition (make more dry/oily) over weeks of continual wear.
6) Thoughtful Packaging: packaging cannot be difficult to travel with, create a mess on my counter, or be wasteful of the product.
*Bonus points for high levels of sunscreen.

How did this foundation measure up?
1) Sophisticated Formula: (YES) I love BE Original for its light-weight formula and the satin finish it gives, especially when applied with a silicone-based primer and/or MAC Fix+ spray on your brush. This is probably one of the lightest feeling foundations I’ve tried.
2) Adjustable Coverage: (YES) I also love how I can build the coverage up, especially when applied wet with MAC Fix+ spray, and don’t need concealer for my under eye circles and acne scars.
3) Low Maintenance: (OK) Without a primer, this foundation did get oily around my T-Zone after about 6-8 hours. Did get cakey when I touched it up. With a primer, it got oily after 10+ hours. Therefore, I would not call this a long-wear foundation for those with combination or oily skin. But looked good for most of the day. Would need to wash face and reapply for an evening event.
4) Ideal Color: (NO) I wore Golden Light for a year, and tried Fairly Light. Similar matching issues as with MAC foundations, too pigmented in color and shades too dramatic to look natural. Golden Light looks very pale and slightly yellow on my skin, but Fairly Light is too NW15 peach/orange/pink/cheese colored for my neck. I would say Golden Light is the best match, but does not look natural. Fairly Light looked nice after I have had a spray tan.
5) Skin Care: (NO) Had out-of-the-ordinary cystic acne break outs from time to time while wearing this.
6) Thoughtful Packaging: (OK) Loose powder is just messy and undesirable, but at least they include a sifter with a lock.
*Sunscreen: spf15, which is not very much IMO, considering you are trying to go as light as possible with how much you apply.

Bottom Line: I really like the BE formula. Will keep a little bit of Fairly Light around for summer vacations for when I am tanner and want a natural look. But it is not my HG because it does not wear all day on my combination skin, does not have a good color match, and does break me out from time to time.

on 12/8/2012 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Not for those with acne issues. I wanted to love this product; t gave me such a nice and glowing finish. The concept is great...I was able to get full coverage, just by adding the same product with the concealer brush...it acually worked, and was seamless! I noticed that when I used it, it caused my skin to itch a bit, and by the end of the day, it had settled into my smile lines; maybe I just put too much on? I used it every day for two months, it was fun to apply (love the brush) and loved the light and glowy complexion it gave me, but I eventually broke out into some serious cyscts and some smaller pimples. Because of reviews I have found online, I attributed the cysts to the bareminerals...I guess the glow is from an ingredient that can be aggrivating to acne-prone skin. Bummer!

on 11/26/2012 2:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Love this product! I have ditched using liquid foundation and use the Bareminerals Matte Foundation SPF15 (in Medium Beige) product daily. I am onto my third jar of this stuff. The beauty of this product is that the coverage is so buildable you can get sheer coverage and build up to full. I dont use the primer but this stuff lasts all day on my combination skin. It provides such a great airbrush finish without heavy cakeing! During the day my tzone might need a touch up but this mineral powder holds it coverage impressively well. I much rather using mineral powder then liquid as it is a lot less harsh on my skin and is so much easier to remove at the end of the day. After a full day of wearing this product on my face if i need to touch up for wear throughout the night applying more product doesnt cake and it builds up coverage back up very well! Keep in mind that if you prefer full coverage on a daily basis you might go through this quickly but for medium to full coverage daily a jar lasts me about two months. Would highly recommend this product.

on 10/4/2012 3:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

It's great, but...
I purchased this foundation last February, and I loved it! It doesn't feel heavy at all, and looks very natural. After wearing it my skin looked great! I've seen so many positive reviews of BareMinerals foundations, and I would like to say that it's the best foundation ever, but there are quite a few cons. First of all, it makes my face look shiny and weird in pictures. It looks great on me when I put it on, but outside it looks bad. I recently started getting more acne then usual, and the foundation just doesn't look that great on my skin any more. I found out that the powder has a rating of 7 on the EWG skindeep website, and it also contains bismuth-oxychloride which can lead to break-outs. The powder either does not have enough coverage, or looks too chalky when layered. It looks the best after wearing it for several hours and getting blended into the face. I have not been able to find a good foundation yet besides this one, and unless it starts looking good on my skin again I don't think I would buy it again.

on 8/28/2012 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The 5 if for the asthetic result not quality of ingredients. I have been using for 8 years. First foundation that actually matches my skin tone, all others look too orange or light on me. I use Med-Beige. and Summer Bisque concealer. This is the best at covering up my old cystic acne scars, I go my dermatologist every now and then and she is surprised at how well this covers my scars. It really does give the best most natural coverage and feels light. I recently tried switching to liquid but had to go back to this.Best most natural looking foundation. .(This is best applied with Buki brush although the BE brush sheds I prefer the bodyshop buki)

Cons: Has Bismuth-Oxychloride which if you go on FDA website shows is manufactured in China and contains Lead :( this is why I tried to switch off the Bare Minerals. the Bismuth is also an ingredient that some people may have a negative reaction to, I don't have sensitive skin. I also read this ingredient may lead to Cystic Acne which I have mildly.

I have tried other Mineral foundations they don't cover as well or look natural. It's hard to find foundations without the BOS. The Matte formula is free of it but the color is off and the coverage is not so good.

Pros: Last all day even through snorkleing in Hawaii, Looks Natural, (when i switched off the other foundations lead to whiteheads.

I gave packaging a 2 because there is always quite abit left inthe end that doesn't come out, the new packaging is good for traveling since it prevents powder from spilling but old packaging used to let me open it up and get the last bit out.

I love this product. I prefer medium coverage because my skin is very red most of the time and has acne marks, and this foundation offers great coverage! Typically I do one layer all over my face with the big buki brush (two if I feel I need it) and then I use the smaller concealer brush over dark marks and pimples and I'm done! I think the coverage is great for a product so lightweight, and I love knowing that it won't break me out :) It also comes with videos that teach you the proper way for application, which are surprisingly helpful!