July 25, 2014 | 1246 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by micdeajones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a useful and worthwhile product. I like the versatility it adds to my nail polish options. What I don't like is how when applied over regular polish, my nails appear to have a sheen to them after 2 or 3 days. They only time the matte look remains consistent is when I wear this over one of my matte Zoya polishes. Like others have stated, this looks best on dark nails. Over regular polish it chips rather quickly IMO (for the price) but over Zoya or Chanel it lasts. I'm inclined to attribute that to Zoya and Chanel and not Essie. Since it's the only matte top coat I know of, I will definitely purchase it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by savethemarianne

A great topcoat that will transform your nail polish collection. You simply use it over any of your existing colours and it makes them matte and slightly lighter/dusky. It isn't very cheap at 11.25 but as I said, it can be used over any colour so it's quite good value in terms of how many diff looks you can get out of it. It's quick drying too, you'll see it turn from glossy to matte as it dries, my only issue with it is that it is not a very strong top coat, and chips for easily than my more dedicated top coats. It does what it says on the tin though and as far as I know it's the only mattifying topcoat on the UK market.
*UPDATE* I have since found two much cheaper dupes of this essie matte top coat- 5 for the Gosh one and 3 for the beautyUK one both are in Superdrugs, I was quite gutted!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2011 11:03:00 PM More reviews by RachaelSpiffy

I love this top coat. It makes your nail polish matte which is sometimes exactly what I want. It's nice because then you can make any polish matte, you don't have to buy matte polishes!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2011 10:57:00 AM More reviews by mairynB

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Leaves nails perfectly matte. Not satin, but fully matte. I loved this initially, like for the first 5ish uses, but from then onward it would leave little white specks on my nails as it dried, which look crap and totally ruin a manicure. I'm not sure why it does this - I remember hearing about another polish that if you shake it heaps it fixes it, but I tried that with minimal success. I've worked out that to get next-to-no specks you have to brush the nail heaps, i.e. brush on then continue brushing, like you're sweeping specks off the nail. Keep "sweeping" until the layer of polish looks clear.
Although I've found the solution (sort of) it still pisses me off that this happens in the first place.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2011 5:15:00 AM More reviews by pinkfrost52

I've never gotten into the matte nail trend until now so I just decided to get a top-coat that would work for all my polishes instead of investing in individual matte shades. I love this so far. It dries super quick and almost instantly turns my shiny polishes matte. Be sure to work quickly to cover the nail completely because if you miss even the smallest strip, it will still appear shiny afterwards. A disadvantage with matte top-coats is that you have to let it set properly (about 10min) or else it will "dent" if you touch it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2011 7:56:00 AM More reviews by flower_girl13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this top coat! It dries super quickly, but make sure you've covered the whole nail or there'll be shiny patches. My nails feel smooth, though imperfections definitely show up! A great way to revamp a manicure.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2011 11:43:00 PM More reviews by couturedujour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you can believe it, I went to like 6 area drug stores looking for this and they were ALL sold out! Finally when I was visiting a friend in Manhattan we passed a Duane Reade and I HAD to run in to check if they had it! Luckily, it was in stock! It is like doubling your nail polish collection, you really never need to buy another matte polish. I think it looks best on darker polishes, but you can be creative and create some really interesting looks with this. I certainly recommend you buy it if you love trying new things with your nails!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2011 6:24:00 PM More reviews by chillychili

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Awesome matte top coat. As with all matte top coats, you may need to reapply it after a few days because the matte effect gets a little shiny from washing and lotioning your hands. I definitely would reccomend this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2011 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Luster

I love this product...i use it over dark shades (OPI-Give me mooor, My private jet and Lincon after dark) and it looks so interesting.but i noticed that after 3-4 days the effect starts dissapering and it's kinda annoying.and i must aplly one more coat for the effect that i want.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by r0semarysays

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is an ok matte top coat.

Two complaints:
1. Doesn't dry as fast as my normal glossy Seche Vite topcoat.
2. Now that I have had this polish for a few months, it has started to deposit little hard white bits on my nails. So irritating and extremely obvious over dark colors like purple. I think they must be bits of hardened nail polish that have gotten mixed in. I just don't understand why they don't re-dissolve like most nail polish would.