Clarisonic Mia

4.2

Plastic

on 4/9/2015 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've struggled with acne since age 11, done several rounds of Accutane and now struggle with mild adult acne. At this point, I believe my acne is here to stay. My acne is a result of my PCOS which means it is hormonal and topical treatments can only go so far as to keep my pores somewhat clean.

Over the years I've found some beauty products and skin routines that work to keep my acne at bay. Mostly I am quite successful (especially when my menstrual cycle is normal and I'm not stressed). I had hoped that the Clarisonic would pimp my routine and make my skin a bit easier to handle. Especially the promise that it can make your topical treatments go deeper into your skin sold me :)

However, the clarisonic does nothing for me.

I enjoy the feeling of 'message' it provides. But it doesn't seem to clean my skin any more than my normal routine - by using my hands - does. In fact, my acne got worse the last months. Not much, but still, considering the price of the Mia I had expected improvement (not a miracle, just, improvement). Which it fails to provide.

I don't like to use extra tools that don't really do anything so I've put it up for sale. I personally think the Clarisonic just makes people more aware of the importance of cleaning your skin, so they wrongly attribute an improvement to this brush while they're actually just finally cleaning their skin on a regular basis.

I already have this awareness for several years and know the importance of a good, DAILY skin cleansing routine so I believe it is a fun and maybe relaxing tool, but not a skin-miracle maker.

on 4/1/2015 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I usually do not write review, but this product truly needs one. I purchase the Clarisonic Mia last summer and the reason I bought was because many people have raved about and my best friend heard it was good too, although she never bought it. When I starting using I knew that my skin was going purging and I was alright with that. My purging of the skin me a month and it was summer and I was working and going out, so my face was not at the best. But after the purging process stop and my acne/blemishes had gone and my skin was clearing up. I have been using the clarisonic for almost a year and I used it twice a day, morning and night every day, because my skin is oily and I wear makeup this is an important step for me, I have a dramatic difference in my face and my mom has compliment me on my skin and how good it looks. To be honest, another reason why I bought this so my mom can get off my back about my skin, but she happy with my purchase. Anyways, I would tell people to try out this product because in order for you to get flawless skin, you have to have the right products and tools to start. When I started using the clarisonic my skin type was combination/very oily, my t-zone will get oily within a half hour. But after using this my skin has change and I'm actually surprised because I didn't think was going to happen, so now my forehead no longer get oily and it just my nose that get oily and the rest of my face is normal. I truly recommend people trying this product out, if it does work for try something else because I think is worth trying out.

PROS:
Clears your skin
Truly deep cleans your skin
Waterproof
Warranty
Comes with brush head

CONS:
Price $$$$

on 3/15/2015 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I wanted this for so long after everyone and their mother raved about it, so I was thrilled when I was able to use my Ulta 20% off coupon on it. I ordered the hot pink one and was SO disappointed with the quality of the packaging--it looked like a cheap Barbie toy. I only used it twice but it caused horrible dryness along my temples and the sides of my face. I don't have sensitive or dry skin at all, but this one did a number on me. I returned it right away because I did not want to risk the whole purging period or more severe flaking skin.

on 3/3/2015 4:13:00 AM

I got this because of my skin clogging problems. I have dry flakey skin and my skin clogged up like nobody's business. I do not like the brush head that came with the clarisonic which is the gentle kind so I got the delicate brush. And wow at how much of a difference it made. At first my skin was kinda breaking out? Like I could see white stuff coming out of my pores but after a week my skin started to clear up. I use it every morning and night, didn't cause any redness or irritation and that is how gentle the delicate brush head is! Highly recommend and definitely worth the investment!

on 2/27/2015 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

It isn't the miracle it was made out to be, but it does help to get a good deep clean. I wouldn't purchase this product if I had a fixed beauty budget, because I feel like there are many more low cost options that would do a similar job. I don't super love it,I'm not really sure if it has made any improvement to my skin at all, but I do notice a "cleaner" feeling when I use it

on 2/25/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've used this and the Olay pro x. They work exactly the same and Olay is waaaaay cheaper. I think having one of the other is impt for skincare routine but all things being equal go less expensive!

on 2/25/2015 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Oh, Clarisonic. You were like my abusive boyfriend in a Lifetime movie. No matter how many times you hurt me--which included, but was certainly not limited to, cystic acne, dryness, irritation, the list truly goes on and on--I kept crawling back to you, hoping, PRAYING that THIS TIME would be different. This time I would only use you a few times a week and things would change! This time I would use a different brush head and voila--porcelain! Alas--we were not to be.

I'll admit that when I first started using this, I used it twice a day, which is probably too much for anyone's skin to handle. But. I also used Proactiv for about seven years, so I think it's fair to say that my skin can take some shit. This was just too much for it. The Olay Pro X, on the other hand, worked miracles. I'd advise anyone who's finding the Clarisonic to be too abrasive but wants the kind of results it's purported to give, to give the Olay brush a whirl.

on 2/24/2015 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure that I'd replace my Clarisonic if something happened to it.

It has improved my skin. My mild acne has cleared up most of the way, usually just one or two pimples now or then. I originally bought it because I was breaking out so badly from a combination of the horrible water here at school (it leaves tons of mineral build up in my hair), and the stress from starting classes again after just losing my grandfather.

Just a heads up, there are fakes out there. Please buy from one of the authorized Clarisonic sellers so you don't get ripped off. I got mine on eBay before I knew that such a thing as a knockoff Clarisonic existed. I saw that the inner prongs were rusting and confirmed it was a fake after calling Clarisonic and giving them the serial number. Fortunately, the seller was just as mortified as I was that it was a fake and refunded my money promptly. The old one is now used for exfoliating my legs where I get KP. I think I ended up getting my current Mia 1 for around $70 due to a coupon (I spent hours comparing prices on the approved sellers' sites).

I really notice when I go a few days without using it. My nose gets gross blackheads and my skin feels rough. However, I can't use my Clarisonic as frequently as some people do. For whatever reason, my skin can't handle the Clarisonic more than once a day if I'm really lucky but it's usually every other day that I have to use it. Despite using the delicate brushes, it's a bit too rough on my skin. I make sure that the brush just glides over my skin and that there's plenty of lather and water but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've made it my rule of thumb that if my skin starts to feel uncomfortable before the Clarisonic shuts off when the minute is up, my skin needs a day to recover.

It is important that you wash your brush head at least once weekly with an antibacterial soap so that you're not spreading bacteria you washed off back onto your face again. The brush heads aren't cheap by any means at about $30 a piece. However, some places do have sales and if you aren't picky like me, you can buy them on Amazon. As a college student, there's no way I can afford a $30 brush head. So I bought a 3 pack of sensitive brush heads on Amazon for less than $10 and they feel the same as the Clarisonic brand one. They look a bit different but they work just the same for a fraction of the price.

Don't expect this to be a cure-all miracle worker. It took at least a month to get my skin back to normal with the Clarisonic and the Paula's Choice acne kit. Some people's skin doesn't take kindly to the Clarisonic. Don't push it and keep track of the receipt just in case. What works for me may not work for you and I know plenty of people who have returned theirs. There's no shame if it doesn't work, to each their own. I would recommend it but again, it's not for everyone.

on 2/24/2015 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

After buying this I though of a way to explain what this product did to my curious husband and sons. I compared the Mia to the power toothbrushes we all use that clean very thoroughly but are gentle and do not tear up the gums the way overbrushing with a manual toothbrush would.
I started with the sensitive skin brush and only use it ever other day before bedtime. The Mia is not a quick fix, but I did notice my skin looking smoother over time and my foundation looking more natural on my smoother skin. After a while I noticed my neck looked like it would benefit from the Mia as well.
I like my Mia and would repurchase if needed.

This is really well marketed and I think that's about the only thing good about this product. Very uncomfortable to use. I followed the instructions, watched online videos to try to improve my technique, all to no avail. It's just too harsh on my sensitive skin even with the sensitive skin brush heads. My face was very bright pink and irritated looking. Returned. I'll stick with my usual routine of using a washcloth daily or every other day and then throwing in a homemade sugar scrub (using brown sugar because of the finer grain, milk and honey). This is probably a great tool for a lot of people, but I don't want to damage my skin for months to come to the same conclusion, that this isn't for me or my skin. I get pimples (some cystic on occasion) and I find that my usual routine works much better. This is very expensive and I think you can get the same exfoliating benefit either using gentle vitamin c or vitamin a based skin products OR using a washcloth. I can't imagine how much dead skin one is really accumulating on their face that using this daily or every other day would be wise. Faces aren't like feet. The skin is more delicate and thin than elsewhere. I don't know. If you buy it make sure you're aware of the return policy and that you don't push through using something if it seems it's irritating you. I think that I was disappointed to return this because it's so expensive and there are so many glowing reviews, but honestly everyone is different and this won't work for everybody.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools