Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

3.9

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

on 2/8/2015 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So I bought this just to try since Target is liquidating here in Canada. Thought I'd picked it up in black, but instead came home to discover it was in the colour brown. I don't line my eyes with brown, so I tried using this to fill my eyebrows. As a first step, I fill my brows with Anastasia dipbrow pomade in dark brown. If there are any patches left, I use this and I'm quite happy with the results. Won't be repurchasing however...was just a makeup experiment given I didn't get it in black.

on 2/4/2015 6:14:00 PM

This is the second gel eyeliner I have tried after running out of my all time favorite BareEccentials gel liner (which I believe has been discontinued). The first I tried was much too sheer, and smeared onto my hooded eyelids within a few hours of wear. I was able to return it to the store, and the salesgirl suggested I try Lasting Drama.

This eyeliner is pliable so that you can get just the right amount on the brush, and goes on smoothly without pulling. It's pigmented enough to create a heavy (or thin) line without applying several layers (and giving yourself more time to mess up). It can be easily cleaned up within a few seconds when things do get messy, but then sets into what is truly a lasting eyeliner with a matte finish. When I was testing out the brush on my hand, it took several washes to get the eyeliner off.

I like the little brush it comes with, and was quickly able to master using it to create a heavy, "retro" cat-eye look that I prefer. I have been able to get a very thin line, as well as a heavier line while playing with it. The tiny size makes getting the perfect cat-eye easier.

Overall, I really like this eyeliner, and am especially happy with it, given the price.

on 2/4/2015 11:08:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Just tried this eyeliner for the past week and it was a fail! By the afternoon this liner was smudged on my outer corner. I even tried to put eyeshadow over it to see if that would make it last and the same thing happened. After trying Mac and Bobbi Brown gel liner and knowing they do not move, this just isn't worth it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I hate using this as an eyeliner I found the brush to be really bad, and the liner itself is too dry. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE using the brown gel liner as a brow gel though! It's amazing and I've been using it over my Anastasia brow powder duo because it lasts all day and gives me better precision.

on 2/3/2015 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Gel liner is amazing for the price because it lasts for so long.
I got this one on sale because I'd never tried gel liner so I didnt want to splurge so much money if it wasnt my thing and good thing I only paid under $20NZD for this at a sale. Because I do not like it at all.

I have hooded lids so gel does not agree at all. And it smudges to the top of my eye within an hour or two.

For anyone without hooded lids this would be a nice gel liner as it is easy to apply.
The problem for me was it just didnt stay in place

Packaging was rather nice and simple.
Reminded me of Mac's fluidline packaging a bit.

on 1/30/2015 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

for many years this was the only eyeliner i ever used. it has a very nice creamy formula that lasts several hours without smudging; if you use a primer under it, it won't smudge at all. i really loved the brush that comes with it, because it gives you a nice even line and you can make the line very thin or very thick. this liner is also great because you can use it by itself like any other liner or you can draw it on thick and smudge it out with a sponge/smudger to create a really dramatic smokey eye. the brown and purple shades are both very dark, close to black. you can see the color when you wear it, but it doesn't look juvenile like some colored liners.

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

Very good eyeliner from the drugstore, did not smudge, easy to apply, I like the brush that comes with the eyeliner.
The only reason I would not uy this product again is that it is such an intense black for my pale complections and I prefer brown at this point in my life.

on 1/26/2015 1:41:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is an incredible product! It is my go to liner.

Summary of the product:
This is a gel eyeliner (I have it in black, but it also comes in purple, brown, and blue). It is applied with the eyeliner brush, which is included in the packaging. It has a creamy consistency and dries fairly matte within a few minutes.

Pro's:
The opacity. It is quite black without needing to be layered. However, I have been able to layer it (add second layer before first layer dries completely or it will pill off) to achieve even greater opacity resulting in a blacker, incredibly dark color.
The consistency. It has a wonderful creamy consistency. This gel liner goes on smoothly without pulling on the eyelid. It can be used to create a precise solid, clean line for a winged out, cat eye look or it can be softened for a smoky eye look (simply apply and smudge gently with fingertip before the liner dries).
Comes with a surprisingly high quality brush. The brush has short, somewhat stiff, but still soft bristles. The bristles form a wide edge and a narrower edge so, depending on which edge you use, you can create a think line or a thin line. Also, the bristles do not shed and the brush can easily be washed off to maintain hygiene without compromising the quality. Seriously, this brush is surprisingly well made! I wash it off and keep it after the liner has run out because I like it so much (it can be used for applying any kind of makeup which requires a small, precision brush).
The finish is a somewhat matte look. It is neither shiny nor matte, simply a pleasant, natural look. It looks great when smoked out or done in a clean, precise line.
Once dry, it last forever! This liner has incredible staying power! It has stayed on even through incredibly runny and icky allergy eyes! I've worn it for up to 18 hours straight without having it budge. it does not, however, hold up against super oily lids. I did not take a lippie off of my rating for that, because no liner on the planet can do that. I'm not about to fault this product for not being able to achieve the impossible.
This liner is just about foolproof. It goes on so easily and, if you make a mistake, is super easy to fix before it dries. I'd say, whether you're an expert with eyeliner application, or a beginner, this liner is worth trying.
It is fairly cheap for something of this high quality. I am able to find it at my local Target for $8. Pretty good price for a high quality liner that comes in a well packaged glass pot with secure twist on lid and a high quality brush! I know $8 for drugstore eyeliner is a price others consider to be expensive. However, if you take all the previously mentioned factors into account, I think you'll find that it's still a pretty damn good deal!

Con's: like some others have mentioned, this liner will dry out over time and lose its nice, creamy texture. I haven't had much off an issue with it, because it only happened to me one time (out of the 3 times I have bought this product). Also, someone else suggested filling the pot with water after each use (to create an air tight seal) and simply emptying it out before each use. However, I find merely making a conscious effort to keep the lid on whenever possible is enough to keep it from drying out. Even when using it, I merely dip my brush and place the lid on the pot while applying the liner. That way, since the pot stays open so little of the time, it resists drying out.

Overall, it's a great gel eyeliner! For the price, you're going to find it damn near impossible to find a comparable high quality, long lasting, budge proof liner (especially one in a nice glass pot with a great brush).

on 1/23/2015 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

This product cost me nearly 17 AUD (13.50 US dollars). What a waste :(

This thing smudged all over my eye lids. Although I have very oily skin, my eye lids are not particularly oily. And yet, this product looked like mess after an hour or so.
The brush it comes with is nice, but that's about it.

on 1/20/2015 9:26:00 AM

I normally used bobbi brown but had to opt for a cheaper option. I have very oily eyelids and even bobbi brown smudges on me by the end of my 9 hour working day. This in comparison is more fluid dries less easily and is smoother to apply so yeah easier to work with, doesnt last as long but i have oily lids so they all smudge regardless. Well i wont buy again as ive had enough of gel eyeliner my lifes too short for it and every woman i see wearing it it just never looks as neat or nice as liquid. Im a perfectionist and as i might need to go out after work and dont wanna spend time in the toilets reapplying because my eyeliner has smudged, back to mac liquidlast for me or stila the felt tip pen (when i need something easier even easier yet as long lasting). This is good not the best but best for the price. Brush is as good as my high end ones. You don't need to spend much on a synthetic brush as it is so cheap for them to make regardless what brand.

Video Reviews & Tutorials