Bobbi Brown Caviar Ink

4.5

on 8/11/2010 11:04:00 PM

I'm the type of eyeliner wearer who loves and has always worn classic black. I prefer a slightly thick cat eye shape and jet black has always been perfect for that. So obviously, black ink gel eyeliner by Bobbi Brown is an eyeliner I've been using for years.

You can see how one would be hesistant to try anything other than black, expecially with my light olive skin tone, sallowness, and deep brown eyes that often appear recessed and small without an intense liner. However, my fears were assuaged when I went in to a local nordstrom and had the Bobbi Brown consultant apply Caviar to my lids.

Instead of decreasing the "oomph" of my eyes, it softened the cat eye, creating a velvety look with a depth unlike any other "brown" liner out there. It's very deep, dark, and has lovely putty undertones. Turns out, this works well for my skin because the blue undertones of black ink were replaced by the true neutral undertones of putty...and works well with my sallow skin. Don't be afraid!

And of course, BB's gel liners last FOREVER (you won't get to use the whole pot before it starts to dry out...trust me, that's not fault of the formula). They stay put all day long and have a wonderful fluid texture.

on 7/24/2010 7:39:00 PM

I have super oily eyelids and find that I have to reapply liner throughout the day, but not with this....this is the best gel eyeliner i have ever used, hands down..and this color is amazing! For me, this is a color that I can wear everyday at work....not as dark as black but not as light as a brown. Will repurchase over and over again!!!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am a huge fan of gel/ liquid liners. My mom gave this to me because she bought it and didn't like how dark it was. It has an amazing texture, and applies so smoothly and evenly. I'm not sure of the price, but I'm sure it was fine! Its worth it. I would repurchase!

continued >>

on 6/25/2010 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This gel eyeliner can't be beat when it comes to staying power. This particular color is pretty close to black, no complaints but I wish I had purchased the Espresso.

Application can be tricky and after several marginal results with the BB brush that you're supposed to use with this, which gave me uneven and too thick lines; I went back to my old reliable, Trish McEvoy No. 11. I dipped it in lightly, then lightly blotted the excess and applied the same way I apply powder liner. The results were perfect, a thin straight line. Which lasted all day!!

on 6/9/2010 5:01:00 PM

I haven't used this product long enough to warrant giving it 5 lippies, but I am already very impressed with this gel eyeliner. Like other reviewers have said, Caviar Ink looks like a soft black , at least on me, though the description given on Bobbi Brown's site (and QVC's, which is where I purchased a kit that included this product) says it's a very dark black-brown.
This product has staying power; once you apply it, you have a few seconds to manipulate it before it sets for the entire day. The finish is matte and the pigment does not chip. I'd like to test this product by working out in it to see just how well it deals with sweat and the elements. All in all, I'm really happy with this gel eyeliner. I'm already thinking about purchasing another color (most likely the dark, intense purple one).

on 5/29/2010 2:20:00 PM

This looks like a dark brown in the jar but on me it looks like a soft black. I like that it isn't shimmery like so many gel eyeliners I seem to come across. It is a pretty intense color but not as intense as black. I like the tenacity of this liner..especially with the humid weather here in Jersey...lasts all day.

on 5/27/2010 8:18:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Just another reason why I am not wishlist only! Would never have thought to try this product, but a lovely lady initiated a swap with me and I chose this from her list. Color: perfect! Deep deep brown without the harshness of black. Staying power: all I have to say is WOW! I couldn't believe it when I looked in the mirror at the end of my work day and it looked exactly like when I applied it that morning. THROWING ALL MY OTHER EYELINERS AWAY!!!!

Update 9/25/10: I have since acquired other BB liners in swaps - graphite shimmer and forest shimmer. Now I am in a quandary every morning - which little gem do I pair with my e/s today?? Love them all and will definitely collect more colors.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

There's no excuse for how much I like this product. I have a confession -- I had to stop buying MAC Fluidline (which is excellent, don't get me wrong) because I grew weary of snotty MAC salespeople. Anyway, Caviar liner. It's... yeah, it's black. But I like it. And as far as I can tell, quality is identical to Fluidline.

on 3/25/2010 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

i was told that caviar ink was a nice, rich brown... but on my eyelids, it's completely black. i have green eyes, fair skin, and reddish brown hair so black eyeliner is way too dramatic on my eyes so i was looking for a nice brown eyeliner. I thought this would be it, but i was sadly disappointed, especially because of the price. with all that aise, the eyeliner itself was the best i ever used. it stays on all day without any smudging.

on 1/17/2010 4:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Almost black colour with deep blue-green undertones. Goes well with cool eye shadow colours and is less harsh than pure black eye liners. Can be applied lightly and smudged or thicker for a more opaque liquid liner look. Excellent staying power.