October 20, 2014 | 2004 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2011 7:14:00 AM More reviews by curlywurly89

I don't know what all the fuss is about... These eyeshadows are below average. If you are like me and you are mainly interested in the shimmery taupe eyeshadow in the quad I urge you to look the other way... That shadow has no pigmentation whatsoever, it contains some chunky glitter particles that create a ton of fall out. I need to swipe my brush over the shadow 4 or 5 times in order to get it to look decent... Not great... But decent..... Also the shimmery chocolate brown isn't that great either, while it does not create any fallout, it does lack pigmentation, i need to battle with it in order to get good color payoff. The lightest cream color is ok...a little powdery but better than the other 2. The only other color that I like and that I use is the matte dark expresso brown. Contrary to the 3 previous shades, this one blends so well, has excellent color payoff off and actually looks true to the color in the pan. So really if your only interested in that matte brown, then I would say maybe buy this quad? But really a good deep matte brown can be found with any brand so it isn't worth it to buy this whole quad for that one shadow. So yes, this quad is definetley a fail in my book.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2011 1:13:00 AM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

I love this quad! I actually like a lot of maybelline eyeshadows. they have come a long way form the crapy formula I remember when I first started getting into makeup. I find them to be very good quality these days. Natural Smokes is one of my favorites.

I am more into neutral/natural looks, so to me, this quad is more of a glam look then a natural look - that begin said, it isn't too harsh or anything, so I can wear this during the day and not feel all made up. It acutally comes out lighter on my skin then I expected it to. In the pan all the colors look very dark, but the lid shade is actually sheer.

I love the lid shade! It has such a pretty shimmer to it and I just love! And if you are a taupe lover, I do not think you will be disappointed. Although it is sheer, a sticky base and packing the color on with the sponge will make it show up darker. I like to wear this shade alone as a wash on the lid sometimes. In this quad, this color has the largest dip. I love the quad for this shade alone. The only thing is, the shimmers do have some fall out in this shade, but it's not too bad -- not like, say, UD's glitter fall out!

As a quad, I like this set. I like how it has a verity of finishes rather then all just shimmer like a lot of other drugstore eyeshadows - it really helps give it some depth. It is also versatile. You can wear is sheer for daytime, or really pack on the colors and intensify it with the darks. I do think they blend well and wear very well (although I always wear SOME kind of base). I find I use this a lot around the holidays or events where I want to be a bit more dolled up then usual, but not formal- like parties or nice dinners. this + falsies is sort of my go-to for those kinds of events if I dont feel like trying anything new.

Overall, very impressed! I would for sure buy again if need be.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2011 6:22:00 PM More reviews by teessosexy

not very natural looking but pretty shades of brown and has a nice shine to it! it can come off very easily but i still love it because the colors go together VERY nicely

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2011 6:14:00 AM More reviews by insert_name_here86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Well letís see:

- The taupe colour has a lot of fallout and am constantly having to brush away a lot of glitter underneath my eyes.
-The taupe and maroonish colour are really hard to pack onto your brush; you have to really dig in to get a decent amount.
- If you are dark skinned like me, you may find the taupe colour hard to see, so I suggest packing on NYX Jumbo pencil Milk on beforehand, which did a whole lot of difference for me.
- I find it very cool toned, and I am very warm-toned, thus I find it very muddy-looking on me sometimes.

And for that last last reason alone, is why I wouldn't buy it again. Yes it's pigmented and the colours complement each other, and it is easy to travel with, but I believe there are better quality eyeshadows out there. Also, Maybelline tests on animals! Boo!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2011 6:03:00 PM More reviews by pinkalley

Love this quad! For those if you who said this fades easily, you need to use a good primer first. Don't just apply on bare lids! Then throw away the applicators and invest in some good makeup brushes I promise the results will be different! Love love love this!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2011 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Lac3andLeather

This easily became one of my favorite drugstore eyeshadow quads when I first got it. I think this quad would work great for beginners - it was one of my first and I learned through using this.
Although the eyeshadows are not extremely pigmented, they are easily build-able and blend great! It worked great for everyday and even nights out, as it is a great neutral quad.
The matte shade is great for highlighting the brow bone - keeping it subtle. The taupe shade is beautiful and a great close dupe for MAC's famous Satin Taupe. Also, love the matte brown shade. It's pretty much the must have matte brown shade every girl should have in their collection.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2011 7:01:00 PM More reviews by Parioftroy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall, this product is okay. The pigmentation on three of the four colors is great, but the shimmery taupe-y color has very little pigmentation. I still sometimes wear it, but I pretty much have to dig my brush in it and pack it on. The off-white is okay, but not as pigmented as, say, Revlon Colorstay "Vintage Lace". The copper and dark brown are super pigmented, and a little goes a long way. The packaging is a little cheap and the clear plastic lid has broken off. However, I have the old quad with equal size pans, so the new packaging might be sturdier.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 5:37:00 PM More reviews by specialribbons

These are super cheap, but I wouldn't call them good value. The pigmentation is not great, even on the liner shade. The only shade that I would even consider purchasing the palette for is the shimmery taupe color, unfortunately it also comes with the smallest pan -.-
The packaging is nothing special. Typical drugstore plastic cheap packaging. Easily broken of dropped.
I won't be repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2011 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Gracielaelizabeth

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I went to Walmart after watching a ton of makeup tutorials and reviews using this eye quad, and got it for only 3 dollars because it was on sale. That's very cheap for me.. Over all this product will create a nice, natural, smoky look. My favorite color in this quad is the color that is similar to MACS satin taupe. It's really pretty to look at and imagine on your eye.. But I find myself applying it with brush like hundreds of times to get it to show up good and then sometimes I give up and use my finger. After I while it looks alright, but to me it's not as shimmery as it looks in the package. I also like the dark brown color. It's so pigmented, and doesn't have much fallout. Blends easily. But a color I use instead of this one sometimes is Too Faced sexpresso.. They look alike but sexpresso is warmer. I also like the highlight which is a vanilla-ish color. Its so sheer, but i think its very pretty. Maybelline made a very nice quad, but it just doesn't work for me like it does for others.. I have to apply so many layers which I really just don't like.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2011 1:40:00 PM More reviews by harls321

I am impressed by the quality of these shadows. They blend easily and have good pigmentation. The colors are a gorgeous taupey brown eye. I would definitely buy again!