October 24, 2014 | 843 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by checotah44

Hey gals! I really want to try this but not sure on color. If you call Jane Iredals at 800 762 1132, they will send you samples of both the loose and pressed powders FREE!!!!!!!!! Can't beat that!. I will update later.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Kaytaleen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

After seeing a mineral makeup infomercial I decided to give mineral makeup a try. First let me say that I HATE wearing foundation, it always makes my face feel 'dirty' so I booked an appt. at a salon that carried this line to have a consultation. I bought the pressed powder in a compact (very expensive, nearly 100.00 Can.) but once out in the daylight it looked horrible, I had a yellow face! Back I go to the salon and exchanged it for a more neutral shade and in the loose format. That worked much better for me, the colour disappeared on my face which is what foundation is supposed to do, not add colour. The big revelation for me was that once it was on I felt clean and bare faced but looked soft and healthy! The application with the loose is tricky, you need to have the proper brush and you almost have to pat it on in downward strokes but once you get the hang of it, you can layer it to get the coverage you want. It never looks dry and I have very dry, mature skin. I invested in the D2O Hydration Spray that the salon recommended to use once the makeup is applied, to 'set' it and it does, you just spray your face damp and then pat any spots that need evening out with your fingertip. This makeup line is very expensive but since you don't use much I think it will last a long time. I'm undecided about buying it again, purely because of the cost, I may try other loose mineral makeup that's available out there to compare but that said, it is a lovely looking makeup that makes your skin look wonderful and healthy and you don't feel like you're wearing makeup, that's a big plus for me!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2011 2:49:00 PM More reviews by habee

I ABSOLUTELY can't live without the golden glow shade from this foundation. The ingredients are safe for the skin, where as bare essential contains bad minerals that made me break out and clogged my pores. I can build coverage with this foundation. I apply in the morning and don't have to reapply during the day. Bare essentials used to make me oily by the end of the day and included too many steps. This foundation is one step and I'm done. I always get complimented on how flawless my skin looks. Oh it has SPF20 which is a big plus!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Philipmom02

I gave this a try after using a small sample I received from another JI order. I have to say I really like it more than my pure pressed base in warm silk. Its more sheer which is what I was looking for over my dream tint TM.

For a bit better coverage I suggest getting their chisel brush or using one similar to apply other than the handi brush (just didnt work well for me.) For me to get the best finish out of this product you have to use other products from the JI line. (Purematte finishing powder, D20 setting spray) But if you do you'll find a flawless complexion that stays on through sweat, rain, and a couple splashes from your son at the pool!

Very little goes a long way with this product so shelling out the $$ for it wasn't a bad trade off for me. The pressed fdn lasted me over 6 months and I just started to see the pan. I suspect this loose fdn will last me well over a year since only a few shakes give me the coverage I need.

I did itch and burn with the bismuth in BE and this hasn't given me any problems at all. Be sure to either ask for a color sample or go to a salon and get matched. From what I understand they changed their colors on their amazing base so they all are not several shades darker than the pure pressed base anymore. I wear Warm Silk in both fdns and the loose actually blends a bit better, where the pressed is more chalky *but more matte as well.*

If you can find a great match in your shade this is well worth the money. They are finely ground and feel like silk on the skin. If it feels too dry for you try a TM underneath or the D20 (0r similar) hydrating setting spray to set it. 8+ hours later my face looks nearly the same as when I first applied. I carry around my Purematte powder for touchups but I rarely ever need to. (it doesnt really mattify very much on me, but just asborb some extra shine and it never looks chalky no matter how much i brush on)

*edit* if you are having problems getting coverage, this is not a swirl and buff product. You need to do top to bottom or downward sweeps on your face. I found I got a much better coverage that way*

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2011 7:19:00 PM More reviews by crazybaby4200

Made me itch, made me itch, made me itch! I thought since no more bismuth was used in this product that it would be ok to try, because bismuth is no good with my skin. Instead they use boron nitrate now which might as well be bismuth! The coverage was blahh and it`s just very dissapointing for a "quality" product. I was`nt itching at first from it but as soon as I sweated a tiny bit, all along my hairline and by my nose and jawline, I was itching like crazy! Two thumbs down.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2011 10:42:00 AM More reviews by AJT711

Way better than Bare Escentuals. Contains to talc or bismuth oxycloride which are two very big skin irritants. You have to really work with this to get full coverage but once you get the hang of it you look flawless. Does not cause break outs at all which is a # 1 for me. Comes with 10.5 grams of product which will last a long time. I think I'll always use this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2010 5:52:00 AM More reviews by Tindra78

I have adult acne, and easy to break out. So I tried this cause it is a mineral product. But I don't find it better than other mineral foundations...

The Amazing base does NOT make my pores look smaller, and cause pores are one of my problems this foundation did not do that job well. It gives a "radiant mineralized glow" in some way and is thicker/better in coverage than the Pure pressed Base, but it covers without refining the structure....the coverige is actually only the "colour"... So I think that my old favourite Everyday Minerals does a better job and is far more worth the price.

Won't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2010 2:01:00 AM More reviews by Lowecj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was religious to Mac Studio Fix but as my adult acne cleared and my skin changed from oily to combo, I decided to take dermatologist advice and give this line a try. I tried on at her office and wasn't convinced but after a few days I realized how great this product is and now I can't live without it. I left this at a friends and couldn't pick up for several days forcing me to return to my mac which convinced me even more how great this foundations truly is. You determine the coverage by layering, I only use this and it covers great. Has lasted for 4-5 months, using once a day. AMAZING!!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2010 11:22:00 AM More reviews by xtina78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have mild to moderate rosacea, and this is the first product I've found that covers it completely. In an effort to cover my redness, I've tried just about every liquid, cream and cream-to-powder foundation out there, with mostly disappointing results. Even other mineral makeups I've tried didn't do the job. I found the JI line when I Googled "makeup for rosacea" and I immediately made an appointment at a local spa to be color matched. This makeup has been a dream come true!

I bought both the Amazing Base (loose) and PurePressed Base in Bisque. Since I need at least SPF 30 on my face (very fair skinned) and the JI makeup is only SPF 20, I use Earthsavers chemical free, oil free sunscreen (SPF 30) prior to applying foundation. This is a tinted, non greasy, water resistant sunscreen that is a great base for makeup. I then use a whitewashing technique to apply Amazing Base to my cheeks and chin, where the redness is most noticeable (I spritz the flocked sponge with D2O, pick up some loose mineral powder, mix it on my hand to a cream consistency, and apply using downward strokes. There's a video for this technique on JI's website). I then apply loose powder to the rest of my face using a handi brush. The coverage is flawless. After applying the rest of my makeup (eyes, blush, etc) I spritz twice with D2O to set. I use the PressedPowder for touch ups, which I only need once or twice during the day.

I have experienced a little itchiness while wearing this makeup, and I think it's because I have dry skin and a powder foundation exacerbates the dryness; however, the itchiness is nowhere near bothersome enough to discourage me from using the product.

It is pricey, but when I add up all the money I've spent buying foundations that I've tried once and then tossed, it's worth the expense to have something I can actually use. I didn't develop rosacea until I turned thirty, and prior to that I had porcelain skin that didn't require much, if any, makeup. To go from being able to wear makeup only if or when I felt like it to HAVING to wear makeup daily to cover the redness on my face was really depressing - particularly since the makep wasn't really helping anyway. Since I've begun using JI I feel so much more confident; my skin looks like it did before I developed rosacea! BUT, since this makeup IS so expensive, I only buy the essentials to cover my rosacea - foundation, flocked sponge and D20. I don't use JI eye makeup, lips or blush. The Revlon ColorStay eyeshadow in Coffee Bean, Aveda lipstick in kashmir brown and Clinique Glow Crazy Powder Highlighter in Gold Dust I've always used are plenty good enough for me. I also happened across the e.l.f. site a couple years ago and ordered, among other things, an eyebrow kit in light that is insanely inexpensive and also indispensible.

I really can't say enough about how wonderful this makeup is. If you're skeptical, just book an appoinment for an application at a JI retailer. Make your appointment in the morning, wear the makeup all day and see what you think. If your experience is anything like mine, you'll be back to buy the products immediately. This is makeup I don't want to live without.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2010 10:27:00 AM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Last year, I bought the Jane Iredale kit for medium skintones that contain @ least 8 small tester type products. Its a good way to try a new product, and each item last for about 6-8 weeks depending on how oftened it is used.

Mine contained the Amazing Base in Natural ( color ) foundation SPF 20 loose mineral powder. It goes on like any loose mineral makeup in a messy manner. It doesn't matter how careful, I always get this stuff all over the place. The color first going on is nice, but after 2-3 hours it does start to crease and settle. With it containing Iron Oxides the color will change from a nice cool med. tone into a more orange-y look.

This kit also contained the Pure Pressed Base in Radiant ( color ) foundation SPF 20. It was a good match for my light-med skin or for reference MAC NC20. Its a pressed powder and to be use w/ a small powder puff or a small sponge round. Its easy to apply but the color changes like the loose minerals in this kit. Like a previous review, I've always questioned how well a SPF in powder form is actually reliable. It seems, you would have to wear a lot to gain any UVA/UVB protection. I normally wear this for the evening.

I'm not going to review the lip balm, lip colour, eye shadow, concealer & rest in this kit. They were all fairly decent in color, performance, especially the Sugar & Butter Lip Plumper ( very good ). The value on this kit is reasonable. You can go to Jane Iredale's website for additional info on price, color choices & etc;.. Would I buy the individual products @ regular retail? Maybe not.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No