April 18, 2014 | 1795 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2011 7:19:00 PM More reviews by crazybaby4200

Made me itch, made me itch, made me itch! I thought since no more bismuth was used in this product that it would be ok to try, because bismuth is no good with my skin. Instead they use boron nitrate now which might as well be bismuth! The coverage was blahh and it`s just very dissapointing for a "quality" product. I was`nt itching at first from it but as soon as I sweated a tiny bit, all along my hairline and by my nose and jawline, I was itching like crazy! Two thumbs down.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2011 10:42:00 AM More reviews by AJT711

Way better than Bare Escentuals. Contains to talc or bismuth oxycloride which are two very big skin irritants. You have to really work with this to get full coverage but once you get the hang of it you look flawless. Does not cause break outs at all which is a # 1 for me. Comes with 10.5 grams of product which will last a long time. I think I'll always use this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2010 5:52:00 AM More reviews by Tindra78

I have adult acne, and easy to break out. So I tried this cause it is a mineral product. But I don't find it better than other mineral foundations...

The Amazing base does NOT make my pores look smaller, and cause pores are one of my problems this foundation did not do that job well. It gives a "radiant mineralized glow" in some way and is thicker/better in coverage than the Pure pressed Base, but it covers without refining the structure....the coverige is actually only the "colour"... So I think that my old favourite Everyday Minerals does a better job and is far more worth the price.

Won't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2010 2:01:00 AM More reviews by Lowecj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was religious to Mac Studio Fix but as my adult acne cleared and my skin changed from oily to combo, I decided to take dermatologist advice and give this line a try. I tried on at her office and wasn't convinced but after a few days I realized how great this product is and now I can't live without it. I left this at a friends and couldn't pick up for several days forcing me to return to my mac which convinced me even more how great this foundations truly is. You determine the coverage by layering, I only use this and it covers great. Has lasted for 4-5 months, using once a day. AMAZING!!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2010 11:22:00 AM More reviews by xtina78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have mild to moderate rosacea, and this is the first product I've found that covers it completely. In an effort to cover my redness, I've tried just about every liquid, cream and cream-to-powder foundation out there, with mostly disappointing results. Even other mineral makeups I've tried didn't do the job. I found the JI line when I Googled "makeup for rosacea" and I immediately made an appointment at a local spa to be color matched. This makeup has been a dream come true!

I bought both the Amazing Base (loose) and PurePressed Base in Bisque. Since I need at least SPF 30 on my face (very fair skinned) and the JI makeup is only SPF 20, I use Earthsavers chemical free, oil free sunscreen (SPF 30) prior to applying foundation. This is a tinted, non greasy, water resistant sunscreen that is a great base for makeup. I then use a whitewashing technique to apply Amazing Base to my cheeks and chin, where the redness is most noticeable (I spritz the flocked sponge with D2O, pick up some loose mineral powder, mix it on my hand to a cream consistency, and apply using downward strokes. There's a video for this technique on JI's website). I then apply loose powder to the rest of my face using a handi brush. The coverage is flawless. After applying the rest of my makeup (eyes, blush, etc) I spritz twice with D2O to set. I use the PressedPowder for touch ups, which I only need once or twice during the day.

I have experienced a little itchiness while wearing this makeup, and I think it's because I have dry skin and a powder foundation exacerbates the dryness; however, the itchiness is nowhere near bothersome enough to discourage me from using the product.

It is pricey, but when I add up all the money I've spent buying foundations that I've tried once and then tossed, it's worth the expense to have something I can actually use. I didn't develop rosacea until I turned thirty, and prior to that I had porcelain skin that didn't require much, if any, makeup. To go from being able to wear makeup only if or when I felt like it to HAVING to wear makeup daily to cover the redness on my face was really depressing - particularly since the makep wasn't really helping anyway. Since I've begun using JI I feel so much more confident; my skin looks like it did before I developed rosacea! BUT, since this makeup IS so expensive, I only buy the essentials to cover my rosacea - foundation, flocked sponge and D20. I don't use JI eye makeup, lips or blush. The Revlon ColorStay eyeshadow in Coffee Bean, Aveda lipstick in kashmir brown and Clinique Glow Crazy Powder Highlighter in Gold Dust I've always used are plenty good enough for me. I also happened across the e.l.f. site a couple years ago and ordered, among other things, an eyebrow kit in light that is insanely inexpensive and also indispensible.

I really can't say enough about how wonderful this makeup is. If you're skeptical, just book an appoinment for an application at a JI retailer. Make your appointment in the morning, wear the makeup all day and see what you think. If your experience is anything like mine, you'll be back to buy the products immediately. This is makeup I don't want to live without.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2010 10:27:00 AM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Last year, I bought the Jane Iredale kit for medium skintones that contain @ least 8 small tester type products. Its a good way to try a new product, and each item last for about 6-8 weeks depending on how oftened it is used.

Mine contained the Amazing Base in Natural ( color ) foundation SPF 20 loose mineral powder. It goes on like any loose mineral makeup in a messy manner. It doesn't matter how careful, I always get this stuff all over the place. The color first going on is nice, but after 2-3 hours it does start to crease and settle. With it containing Iron Oxides the color will change from a nice cool med. tone into a more orange-y look.

This kit also contained the Pure Pressed Base in Radiant ( color ) foundation SPF 20. It was a good match for my light-med skin or for reference MAC NC20. Its a pressed powder and to be use w/ a small powder puff or a small sponge round. Its easy to apply but the color changes like the loose minerals in this kit. Like a previous review, I've always questioned how well a SPF in powder form is actually reliable. It seems, you would have to wear a lot to gain any UVA/UVB protection. I normally wear this for the evening.

I'm not going to review the lip balm, lip colour, eye shadow, concealer & rest in this kit. They were all fairly decent in color, performance, especially the Sugar & Butter Lip Plumper ( very good ). The value on this kit is reasonable. You can go to Jane Iredale's website for additional info on price, color choices & etc;.. Would I buy the individual products @ regular retail? Maybe not.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by jparkerb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation is great if you're looking for very sheer coverage. But why would you wear foundation in the first place then?
I have discoloration and after applying with a concealer brush, I was still able to see red patches. It did not irritate my skin or cause cystic breakouts. I got Warm Silk and was pleased that it did not turn darker as my skin got oilier. However, I don't want to spend money and not get the results I'm looking for- medium to full coverage.
Note- this foundation transfers on clothes easily, and it does not travel well.

I did not like BE at all, so I'm still on the hunt for a mineral foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by barbaraahh

I have been using the Jane Iredale amazing base since the beginning of summer, and overall I am pretty pleased. I used bare minerals before this and I noticed that after a day of wearing and blotting the pigments would start to have an orangey tint to them and it would no longer match my skin.

Jane Iredale seems to have better pigments that not only match better but stay true to their appearance. The only problem that I have with this product versus Bare Minerals is that it seems to have more of a shimmer in it, which isn't the best for my oily skin. It is not too bad though, and after I used my toner and primer (Thayer's witch hazel and milk of magnesia, respectively), it stays on well and looks good.

I will probably test out a few more mineral powders after this one to see which I like best, but overall I do like this brand so far :)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2010 1:17:00 AM More reviews by Latour

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I just bought this today and so far so good. I've tried four other loose mineral foundation brands in the past, liked them, but they caused itiching for me. After some research, I found out that Bismuth is an ingredient that causes itching for many - especially me. Only a few brands do not contain this ingredient. That was one reason that brought me to Jane Iredale (the loose foundation does not contain Bismuth) and I love the look loose mineral foundation gives, which is slightly matte, with a soft glow. Coverage is medium and natural looking, even for me with slightly dry skin. I also bought the Balance hydating mist, but haven't tried that yet. I'm hoping that after a few days, I can write back with even more results. Today is just the start of something good for my face!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2010 11:47:00 PM More reviews by DoxieLove25

I've been wearing this foundation for a couple years now and I am in love!! It's my first venture into the world of mineral makeup and I'm very happy with my choice. I'm fair and redheaded and I can wear this powder foundation like normal when I'm out in the sun and never get burnt. The spf is fantastic. I've learned that it only goes on beautifully if you have the right brushes to apply it. Different brushes apply it different ways. It gives just a touch of that "dewey" look which I think is very natural. I have repurchased and will continue to wear this!