April 24, 2014 | 1920 users online

Masks - The Body Shop - Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by ET3638

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the WORST clay mask I've ever used! I would NOT recommend this mask to anyone. I've got really oily, acne prone skin and it's not the least bit sensitive. I can slap on a lot of different harsh products and my skin is able to handle it really well. This product however, not so much....

First off, I really hate the smell of this product. It smells really nice in the tub, but once I've got this on my face, the perfume scent started to really irritate me. I can smell the perfume trying to hide the fishy smell of the seaweed. So in turn, I really started hating the perfume scent mixed with the fishy smell of the seaweed scent. As the mask dried, it started to smell really off - just wrong! The second thing I didn't like about this mask is the stinging feeling I get the entire 10 minutes I've got this mask on me. It felt like my face was on fire, and it never stopped until I washed it off with water. I hated how tight and itchy my face felt with this product on. I'm not sure if this is because I'm allergic to the seaweed (because I've tried other products with sea kelp etc etc before and it really irritated the heck out of my skin), or because this mask was just way too harsh for my face, but I just could not wait to get this stuff off my face. Once I've washed this mask off my face, my face did seem really smooth and clean. My skin actually kind of look like it had a glow. I'm not sure it really did anything for my oily face, because my face still got oily by noon after using this, but it must've done something because I can see all those nasty dark green spots on my t-zone (when the mask was drying). I normally would get acne popping left right and centre after using this, so it must be purging my pores by bringing the gunk out from deep under up to the surface. At any rate, I wouldn't repurchase this and I've only used it 5 times and wouldn't touch this stuff again with a 10 foot pole. Such a waste as there's still so much product left, and I've wasted a lot of money on this. It'll just sit in my product basket and go bad. Too bad!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2011 9:28:00 PM More reviews by iloveskincaresososomuch

seeeeeeeeeeeriously overdrying. and my skin's crazy oily!
lt stung so badly.
but see, l have sensitive skin.
AND! I WILL SAY:
USE THIS AFTER A HOT AND HUMID DAY. Because the sweat can clog your pores and this just drawssss it out.
but it leaves my skin so dry afterwards, and for the next few days it was flaky and slightly pink.
I wear makeup everyday so that is a HUGE don't.
I think just using a deep cleansing mask is an essential after a hot and sweaty day, but it doesn't have to be this mask.
if you use it, make sure your skin isn't sensitive.
good luck to those who want to try it

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2011 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Jenn140XD

I tried this after falling in love with the seaweed day cream. I figure if the day cream was good, the clay mask would also be. I would say this is a wonderful mask. It does draw out impurities and controls oil. It also helps dry out some acne too. Overall, great product. As for the price, I thought it was a bit too much also. But I figure if a product works great, then I would continue to use it because I would waste more money trying out different products. I have already repurchased a second jar of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2011 12:19:00 AM More reviews by gillybean604

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised this mask is rated so poorly! I think it's fairly good! I use this mask once a week to draw out dirt and film out of my face. My face is fairly oily & I'm acne prone. As stated on the website, I keep this mask on for only 10 min. I avoid my dry areas. When I rinse it off with lukewarm water, I initially gently rub it into my face in circular motions sort of for exfoliation. I like how it dries on my face and feels tight. It does have a bit of a perfume smell but I love it. I'm not sure if it does much for the acne but face definitely feels cleaner in terms of oil. I WOULD NOT recommend this for people with dry/sensitive skin. I luckily got this on their 50% red bag sale because I think $22 is steep! But the product will last me a year. I also wish this wasn't in a tub because I find the product gets stuck under my nails. But I will probably buy this again as long as it's on sale.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/27/2011 12:50:00 AM More reviews by czaurora

Well, I decided to try this out because my friends all recommended it, but I kind of overlooked the fact that the person who recommended most strongly had fairly oily skin, me, not so much. I used it for a month or so, and here's my opinion of it.
Pro: pulls out oil + dirt
Cons:
- oil draining effect not significant. I had a volcanic mud clay mask before and that one was really strong compared to this one, except it was a gift from out of the country and I don't know how to get my hands on it again, so...
- it stings towards end of drying, makes me anxious about getting skin issues because of it.
- cannot stand the smell, very pungent, and gets to be extremely unpleasant. I have to rub perfume/body lotion/etc under my nose to be able to stand it.
- I bought some for 50% off discounts, but I would never buy at regular price.
Bottom line: decent for oil cleaning, but I would not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by canadiancutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This mask is good at pulling dirt out of the pores, and it does help acne a little. I does sting a little, although I don't find this every time I used it (I have combination skin that is sensitive and acne-prone). Although it does sting sometimes, it does not cause any irritation to my skin at all. It changes colour when it dries, so it's easy to know when to take it off.
I have repurchased this and most likely will continue to do so. It makes my face feel very clean and I like it alot. With alot of masks I have tried, I see no noticable difference in my skin, but this one does improve the look of my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2011 5:48:00 AM More reviews by celenis

I've been wondering for a long time about whether or not I should buy this because there were a lot of mixed reviews. But I decided to give it a go because I believed that the general consensus was that this product is great for oily skin, and horrible for sensitive skin and I have combination skin with very oily T-zone.

After the first try, I gotta say I love it. At first I thought I should just apply on my T-zone but I decided to apply all over my face to see how it is. I imagined it would burn and feel really stretchy and dry afterward, but it didn't. After I washed it off my face, I patted my face dry and immediately applied my moisturizer. I really love the results. Normally my face would be super oily after all the stuff I put on my face after I cleansed it, but even with my nightly skin routine it doesn't feel as oily anymore.

The fun part was seeing how large my pores are around my T-zone. I wouldn't say it completely got rid of my blackheads but they did help a bit. I guess the bottom line is that if you have sensitive skin, DO NOT BUY THIS. If you have oily skin, you would be luckier.

People say it's expensive for what its worth, but I haven't bought other clay masks so I wouldn't know exactly (but I certainly did use other clay masks and they were not as good as this). But you don't have to cake it on or anything, just a thin layer will do. So even with its small container I say it's worth it because I think it will last me a long time. However I would not buy it again just to see what kind of other clay masks there are.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2011 5:45:00 AM More reviews by JulesGrey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This mask works best when you first do a deep oil cleansing session, and then apply this to still slightly damp and moist skin. Then hop in the shower, to shave and all that, while it dries. Then, to rinse it off once it has dried (about 10-15 minutes) wet your hands and pat them over your face until the mask is moist again. Then start rubbing it in like you would a cleanser, wetting your hands over and over, as the mask comes off gently, without tugging. Finish off with a bit of your oil cleanser and wipe it off with a muslin cloth. Hurry now, to apply a hydrating mist, your favourite hydrating serum and your lotion. Result? Soft, soft, soft, dewy, glowy wonderful skin. All your blackheads might not be gone in one session, but with continued use once a week (no more, since it might cause problems with burning etc. which is true of most clay masks) and paired with regular oil cleansing this is perfect. Without the oil cleansing, to loosen clogs before use so the clay mask can pull them out, it is significantly less effective at removing black heads etc. But then, again, that is true of most masks. Preparing your skin is key.

I really like the texture of this mask, and it is one of the reasons I prefer this over my own home-made green clay mask. It will sound gross, but it is slightly slimy, as if you mixed runny clay with a little bit of gelatin. This means it goes on absolutely smoothly and covers well and that a little really goes a long way. I think for my whole face and neck I use less than a teaspoon. You have to work fast though, when applying this, since it dries fast.

The reason I only give this a four is the price. It is VERY pricey and so even if I like it well enough, and could imagine it as a staple, I'll continue looking once I run out of this for a similar mask at a lesser price.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2011 11:02:00 PM More reviews by 654345

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

arghh i never actually knew i had sensitive skin until i tried out this mask. i could barely have it sitting on my face for 10minutes, my cheeks started getting tingly and when i went to wash it off my entire face was on fire. i didnt see any difference after having it on, and the smell wasnt very pleasant either ): it has a very thick consistency hence kind of troublesome when applying.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2011 4:40:00 AM More reviews by butterbelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

There is nothing that distinguishes this mask from other clay-based masks for oily skin. It has a pleasant scent and isn't overly drying for the skin. It didn't do anything bad for my skin but it also isn't effective in drawing out blemishes or improving the appearance of my skin. (Why would it be? It has no acne fighting ingredients.) It is very expensive and I will not be re-purchasing.