December 17, 2014 | 1729 users online

Masks - The Body Shop - Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2011 5:38:00 PM More reviews by mattifycosmetics

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of the best detox masks Iíve ever used! Constantly trying to track down great products for oily skin, all 4 of us who work at Mattify Cosmetics tried this mask over the weekend. Three of us, myself included, have very oily & acne prone skin which is tolerable of harsh products Ė so we did not experience any burning when this mask was applied, as many of the other reviewers mentioned. One girl has sensitive oily skin - she did complain about the mask stinging a bit, and had some redness and dryness after washing it off. So, would have to agree this is best for those who donít have sensitive skin. As for the rest of usÖit worked wonders!

After taking a hot shower to open pores, I applied the mask over my entire face and it dried within 10 minutes. The product claims to draw out impurities, and it does. I could actually see the product attaching to and absorbing oil from the pores. As the mask dried, it caused a bit of tingling on my skin, but it wasnít painful. It was more like a deep cleansing sensation. When the mask was fully dry, I patted water onto my face to soften the product, and then scrubbed it away with my finger tips, using circular motions. I then used a Tea Tree Cleansing Gel on an exfoliating body glove to make sure all the gunk that was sucked out of my pores was thoroughly scrubbed away. You could actually see the open pores that were cleaned out from the mask! After drying my face, I applied Proactiv toner to PH balance my skin and disinfect the open pores. I also used a Salicylic Acid product on acne blemishes. My face felt super clean and looked refreshed. The other 3 girls who also have oily, acne prone skin had the same results Ė we were all very impressed with this product.

The day after using the mask, some of my breakouts looked a little more irritated, but those cleared by the next day. (This is typical after using a deep cleansing mask, as it draws impurities to the surface). So, I would suggest using it in the evening before bed, and two days before any important events so your skin has time to clear completely. The cost is reasonable too, because a small amount of the product goes a long way. I suspect this jar will last for about 15-20 applications. Not bad when Iíve paid over $80 for facials that havenít done nearly as much good for my skin! This mask is great!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2011 8:01:00 AM More reviews by locadiva

This mask does work on oily skin, it really drains those pores out, but I think it's not that good on sensitive or dehydrated skin. I can't manage to have it on more than five minutes before it starts itching like crazy. It really burns after I take the mask off, especially when I take on my moisturizer. I normally don't react on ANYTHING... Too scared to use it any more!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2011 8:23:00 PM More reviews by naomi2289

The product works well, as it dries you can see that every pore is removing oil as you can see darkened spots on the mask from the oil. I like this product and use it regularly, the only down side is that it can leave my skin a little red/sensitive after using it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2011 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Missassumption9957

I really liked this mask. Mainly because of what it does for my skin. It leaves it soft and glowy

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2011 9:54:00 PM More reviews by gpgroupie1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this mask! I know that it's a little pricy, but I've tried more expensive masks, that do not do the same! I am so glad that I bought this mask again. Lately, I noticed that I started getting pinples, which I've NEVER had a problem with. I washed my face more, started taking better care of it.....no improvment.

I went to the Body Shop, and I remembered how awesome this mask was! I have one really good exfoliator, but the deep cleanser was not satisfactory. I bought it and that night, I put the mask on, and hallelujah!!!!

The mask is pretty amazing! It took 30 seconds to realize that it was doing exactly what I needed it to do! Suck the impurites out of my skin! Yes, it does sting a little, and I read a lot of reviews about how some people with sensitive skin have had bad results with this. So be careful if you're sensitive. But if you needs some really good deep cleaning, try this one! It's pretty awesome!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by Melavia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought it after trying both this mask as well as the honey & oak scrub mask on my hand at a Body Shop store. This one has a deeper cleansing power and the skin feels softer afterward.

I have no problem with the smell. In fact, I think it is quite fresh and pleasant. It gives a deep clean to my face after rinsing off. My skin feels extremely soft too. However, this leaves my skin drier, especially on the cheek area.

Another problem is that it dried quickly inside the box. I am not a fan of the packaging of all Body Shop masks because it is very easy to get contaminated. The remaining content dried out after a few months. I did nto bother to make use of the remaining content so there was a waste of about 1/3 of the entire box.

For me, the honey & oak scrub mask works better overall. This one works better initially but could not last until the end.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2011 12:07:00 AM More reviews by salex007

I got this as a freebie sample with my regular Seaweed line purchase. I'm a big fan of the Seaweed facial wash and day lotion, so the salesperson gave me two very generous sized samples of the mask.

I love the smell of it and it definitely is cool/gross seeing the oil come up from my rather large pores. I have dry/combo skin but have been having breakouts around my chin for the past couple of months. Within a day of using this mask my blemishes were noticeably smaller and less irritated looking.

Although I really like this mask, I'm not sure I can justify the price tag when I've used similar clay-based masks from the drugstore for a fraction of a price. Definitely a splurge item if you have the extra cash and want to keep your routine within the same Body Shop line.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by ET3638

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the WORST clay mask I've ever used! I would NOT recommend this mask to anyone. I've got really oily, acne prone skin and it's not the least bit sensitive. I can slap on a lot of different harsh products and my skin is able to handle it really well. This product however, not so much....

First off, I really hate the smell of this product. It smells really nice in the tub, but once I've got this on my face, the perfume scent started to really irritate me. I can smell the perfume trying to hide the fishy smell of the seaweed. So in turn, I really started hating the perfume scent mixed with the fishy smell of the seaweed scent. As the mask dried, it started to smell really off - just wrong! The second thing I didn't like about this mask is the stinging feeling I get the entire 10 minutes I've got this mask on me. It felt like my face was on fire, and it never stopped until I washed it off with water. I hated how tight and itchy my face felt with this product on. I'm not sure if this is because I'm allergic to the seaweed (because I've tried other products with sea kelp etc etc before and it really irritated the heck out of my skin), or because this mask was just way too harsh for my face, but I just could not wait to get this stuff off my face. Once I've washed this mask off my face, my face did seem really smooth and clean. My skin actually kind of look like it had a glow. I'm not sure it really did anything for my oily face, because my face still got oily by noon after using this, but it must've done something because I can see all those nasty dark green spots on my t-zone (when the mask was drying). I normally would get acne popping left right and centre after using this, so it must be purging my pores by bringing the gunk out from deep under up to the surface. At any rate, I wouldn't repurchase this and I've only used it 5 times and wouldn't touch this stuff again with a 10 foot pole. Such a waste as there's still so much product left, and I've wasted a lot of money on this. It'll just sit in my product basket and go bad. Too bad!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2011 9:28:00 PM More reviews by iloveskincaresososomuch

seeeeeeeeeeeriously overdrying. and my skin's crazy oily!
lt stung so badly.
but see, l have sensitive skin.
AND! I WILL SAY:
USE THIS AFTER A HOT AND HUMID DAY. Because the sweat can clog your pores and this just drawssss it out.
but it leaves my skin so dry afterwards, and for the next few days it was flaky and slightly pink.
I wear makeup everyday so that is a HUGE don't.
I think just using a deep cleansing mask is an essential after a hot and sweaty day, but it doesn't have to be this mask.
if you use it, make sure your skin isn't sensitive.
good luck to those who want to try it

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2011 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Jenn140XD

I tried this after falling in love with the seaweed day cream. I figure if the day cream was good, the clay mask would also be. I would say this is a wonderful mask. It does draw out impurities and controls oil. It also helps dry out some acne too. Overall, great product. As for the price, I thought it was a bit too much also. But I figure if a product works great, then I would continue to use it because I would waste more money trying out different products. I have already repurchased a second jar of it.