July 29, 2014 | 1966 users online

Eye Primer - Smashbox - Photo Finish Lid Primer

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Rozzy77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in a swap and so far I'm not happy with this product. It's creamy and similar texture like smashboxes other face primers. It stays on well with my eyeshadows. Tip is only use a toothpick dot size because it's your eyes, not face. It works well with Smashbox products, obviously, especially shadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by hipchick66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Very suprised at how good this is. I've used UD Primer Potion and MAC paint pots as bases. Both are decent. This blows them away. My shadows pop, stay on and stay true. No creasing. And even worn alone, it makes my eye area look "clean".

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by ShibuiMuse

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have several eyeshadow primers and each one has a different purpose.

When I want to brighten my eye and wear little or no eyeshadow, this is my go-to primer. It does a great job at evening out my eyelid tone and, because the color suits my particular skin tone (N15-20, slightly warm undertone), I could stop my eye makeup routine here and head out for the day with eyes that look bright and well rested.

When I wear eyeshadow over this primer the color of the shadow held without creasing for the full day. I did not find the full-size tube to have a "dry" consistency. I have had no issue with dryness of my eyelid from wearing this primer.

For those of you that want a more opaque primer I suggest MAC paint pots. These little gems are pots of color "shadows" that come in a variety of shades. If you have fair to medium skin with cool undertones you may want to look at the shade "Painterly." If you have fair to medium skin with warmer undertones "Soft Ochre" might be your color. This product really gives your lids an opaque base and all of your eyeshadow colors will be much more intense.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 8:26:00 PM More reviews by mulletoftruth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

I got this in a kit as well, and glancing at the reviews below, it appears that most who got the GWP do not like it. Perhaps there's an issue with the mini version.

I will chime in to concur that yes, this dries out really quickly and is chalky and impossible to spread over the eyelid. Am also in the camp for whom the shade is too dark. Disappointing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2012 1:56:00 AM More reviews by taryn33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried tart, mac, urban decay and lancome lid primers. I return to smashbox (3rd time now) because it works, it's easy to apply, and it's convenientfor me to purchase. My eyecolor stays put around 8 hours with this stuff, and I often use cheaper products like loreal or nyx shadows.

There is nothing really amazing to say about this stuff though. It works well enough to where I forget it exists most of the time, outside of that brief 60 seconds it takes me to apply it. What more could you ask of a lid primer, I guess.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by manini3

This lid primer works perfectly on me. I have fair/medium olive skin, and my eyelids are a sallow grey. This primer evens the skin tones on my lids and makes me look more awake. It is a yellow-based tone, which I imagine would look strange on someone who has cool/pink/purplish/blue undertones. For fair to dark skin with warmer undertones, it is absolutely perfect. I have tried Urban Decay and MUFE lid primers, and they do not compare in any way to this one.

The packaging on this primer is particularly great. The doe foot applicator is the perfect way to get the product onto lids.

My only complaint would be the high price per ounce of this product. It is ridiculously expensive. I wish Smashbox would make it in a jumbo size at a value price. That would solve the value problem for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2012 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Kate1488

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Come on girls ! This is a great primer. Even if you dont put on eyeshadow, it evens out the color of your eye lids and makes you look younger. Works well under eyes as well. The product does what it says it will do... extends the life of powders and eyeliners. Would repurchase for sure.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Cailee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Not that great. Got it in a mini-size, and the texture is so dry, and the finish is extremely chalky. What's even worse is that it's at least three shades darker than my skintone. It's a warm yellowed beige, and I have fair, cool toned skin. Hmmm, doesn't sound right, does it? I find it preposterous that they only sell this in one color (which they call 'universal'). You've got to be joking. It's not sheer, either. It's quite opaque. And this is even worse than UDPP in terms of blendability of shadows over the primer. The texture of this is so stiff and tacky, that my shadows....will...not...BLEND! And by the end of the day, they've turned into a faded, creased, muddy mess anyway. It's like I hadn't even used a primer. Do not recommend. May work for medium-toned gals with oily lids, but that really narrows it down in the market for this primer. No wonder it's not popular.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/12/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by TheUnforgiven

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This primer is crappy. I'm glad I didn't purchase it with full prize. I got it from a 'try it kit'.
First... it's way too dark. I'm pale and when I put it on I look like I have mud on my eyelids. I can only use it with darker eye shadows. I also use primer under my lower lashes and this is totally unwearable there.
Second... it's very drying. It's hard to apply because of the dryness.
Third... the biggest reason why this product fails so badly is that it doesn't prevent my eye shadow creasing. That's the only reason I wear eye primer and if a primer doesn't do that, it's as good as nothing.
This primer doesn't hold my eye shadow on place even for an hour. Many times I've put on some make up when I go food shopping to my nearby supermarket and when I've gotten back home, I've noticed my eye shadow creasing really badly and every time I've worn this primer.
Even the cheapest primers, like E.L.F, keep my eye shadow from creasing the whole day, but not this one.
It's a crap product in my opinion. Total fail. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by DecayingUrban

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have no idea why everyone hates this product. This is the only eye lid primer I've trusted. It might have a weird consistancy but it does the job of holding eye shadow and really making shadows reach their full potential.