July 29, 2014 | 1840 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2014 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Carela26

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this product. After a week of use, no breakouts, no redness, no patchiness. It does smell different, but I don't mind it; this means that the product does not contain certain perfumes that irritate the skin. This feels healthy and it complements well with my Tarte products. I think this product is targeted for first signs of aging, and I have the pesky lines on my forehead making themselves known, which I haven't seen lately. It's not oily which I love, and soaks into your skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2014 1:43:00 AM More reviews by Jordanxoxxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love philosophy products but I wasn't a fan of this. It does moisturize but the smell is awful. It reminds me of cleaning products. I tried it a couple times to see if it would grow on me but no luck. I quit after the third try because I got it in my eye on accident & it burned like HELL. I'll just stick to my Clinique.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2014 6:18:00 AM More reviews by Nataliegsno

If you watch a Philosophy presentation on QVC they make you want to try everything. Pshhhh what a joke. This moisturizer sits on top of my skin and doesn't sink in whatsoever. My skin looks like it needs to be washed after I apply this. This is supposedly Philosophy's best selling holy grail amazing omg product and I think it's disgusting so I won't try anything from philosophy in the future if this is there best.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Jimduhh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Packaging:
The packaging is just okay for me. I personally don't like jar moisturizers because I just like how much more hygienic pump moisturizers are. Also it's so easy to get product on the lid so that's something you have to be careful about.

Price:
The price is average for a philosophy product. It's not too expensive but I don't think it's cheap either.

Texture:
It's in between creamy and liquidy for me, but I think it leans more over to the liquidy side.

Smell:
I can't really describe the smell. It's not bad to me. It's not exactly pleasant either. It's just bearable.

Pros:
-Hydrates well

Cons:
-Can leave skin feeling oily sometimes
-Not the cheapest moisturizer in the world

Impressions/Comments:
I like to use this moisturizer after I wash my face when my skin is feeling dry and tight. However, whenever I wear makeup I always have to add more moisturizer (Clinique's Moisturizing Gel) on top of this one. It's okay, I mean it leaves your skin feeling refreshed, but for those that are big on the scent of a product then you might want to test this out somewhere before purchasing it because I know that its smell is very hit or miss. I honestly didn't notice anything different from my skin after using it, but it does moisturize my face so I'll give it that. I'm saying that I wouldn't buy this product again simply because I want to try other moisturizers out there.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2014 6:16:00 PM More reviews by tbabi

So everyone raves about how great Philosophy products are and I do like Purity Made Simple Cleanser but this mosturizer wasn't good.

Usually my skin doesn't like change. I do not break out in acne but I do get red hive like bumps when my skin doesn't agree with a product. I was nervous to try a new moisturizer but surprisingly it didn't irritate my skin which is awesome. But... I feel that it is not mosturizing at all especially since I have dry skin. I also think that this product has a really bad scent that lingers. I understand that Purity Made Simple smells like this too but it doesn't linder like the moisturizer does. I also don't mind the scent in purity made simple as long as it works and this mosturizer just doesn't work well enough for the price and size.

I say don't bother with this moisturizer..

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by Elmasalihovic

I have had some major skin issues the past year. My skin is sensitive, sometimes it happens to be dry and sometime too oily its acne prone as well. I have spent so much money on higher end products with promised results, but they were just not working for me. I decided to try hope in a jar and everyone advised me against it, everyone told me it would not do much for my skin and I was still willing to try. I tried it and loved it! It moisturizes my skin without making it oily or dry. My skin feels great. Would recommend to anyone!!! Great product.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by MaigeAda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

No. I have no clue what Philosophy is putting in their products but it definitely shouldn't be there. I gave this stuff an OK review a few weeks ago but am rescinding. Some users wrote about a burning feeling - I haven't experienced this, but I have chemical burns above my eye brows and cheeks. I have a few hive-like circles on my forehead and broken capillaries on my cheeks and nose that I did not have before using this product.

I must mention that I have normal skin, not sensitive and this stuff is ruining it! Do not recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 4
Price: 2-3
Packaging: 3
Buy again: yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a light olive-skinned asian, in my mid-late 20s. I have combination/oily, acne-prone skin.

I tried this cream out a few years ago and hated it - I finished it, and swore I'd never try it again. At the time, I felt like it was too heavy for my skin, and I had a "burning" sensation when I used it.

Fast forward to now: I tried it out again at the urging of one of my best friends who swears by this stuff. I bought the 0.5oz jar to try just in case I didn't like it, but honestly, I LOVE this stuff now! It could be that I was using this product wrong before, but this is how I use it now:

- after I wash my face, I leave my face wet (or if I've dried it, I spray it with some water), and then I apply a finger-tip amount to my face and massage onto my wet face. I find this thins out the product to allow to more even application and it absorbs into my skin quickly without a trace of heaviness, stickiness, or film. I don't need a lot of moisture, so this method works for me. If you have drier skin, you can probably do this without wetting your face.

After using this product I have found that my face has a fabulous rosy glow, my skin texture is smoother, my pores are smaller, and my oiliness is better. This product does not advertise any of these things (except glowing skin) but I am pleasantly surprised by the effects of this moisturizer.

As others have mentioned, the texture is like whipped cream. It does not feel heavy and is 99.9% oil-free. It smells of lavender, so if you don't like that kind of smell you might not like this, but personally I quite enjoy it.

I used to wake up to very oily skin when I used other moisturizers at night - I don't have that problem with this. I don't have to worry about breakouts with this moisturizer either (and I usually ALWAYS apply benzoyl peroxide - I have managed to skip this step entirely since using this).

I find the price of this moisturizer ridiculous though - $20/0.5 oz or $52/2 oz?? Thankfully, at the Costco near me, it's $17/2 oz! I'm totally stocking up.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about trying this, or you tried it before and didn't like it, give it another try using the method I mentioned - you might rediscover a favourite!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Nickelpickle

Hope in a Jar has smoothed out some tiny bumps that have been on my forehead for over a year. I've tried several other high end products, with no success. This isn't cheap, but won't break the bank either. The smell is sort of weird, but it goes on smooth and never feels greasy to me. I use it twice a day, at least an hour before makeup or the gym.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 10:14:00 AM More reviews by misscherstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had to get use to the smell at first, and it felt kinda heavy and really creamy compared to Mary Kay what I was using, but after this sets the smell goes away and the cream feels light. I love this stuff for the time being!