Bath and Body Works whole store

3.5

on 4/12/2010 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I used to ***LOOOOOOOOVE*** B&BW!
I used to wander in and buy tons of lotions, body washes, & sprays whether they were on sale or not.
I could always find something that I already had and wanted more of, or something that I never bought and decided to try.
Just about everything smelled wonderful.

Fast forward to about 2007/2008 when they changed the packaging and formulas - I can no longer shop there. :-(
Pros & Cons of the changes:

Pros:
*The newer packaging is MUCH more attractive! Now instead of just being something you'd see on a teenager's dresser, it's something I would be happy to display on my own. Very pretty.
*They have come out with more interesting fragrances. Not just fruit and the occasional flower, now there are lovely floral, fruity floral, gourmand, and even woody(!) blends that give high end fragrances a run for their money. Want a cheaper alternative to Coco Mdms.? Try Black Amethyst. Like Fracas but it's just "too much" for a week day? Try Velvet Tuberose for a more wearable powerhouse white floral.

Cons:
*While the new fragrances are lovely and the old ones still draw a crowd, they're TOO STRONG!!!!! I used to be able to apply my faves(Country Apple & Peach Nectar) using the whole she-bang(wash, lotion, & spray) and smell lovely(but not intrusive or overwhelming) all day. Now, I can't even try a DAB of the new formulations without giving everyone around me(myself included) a headache. :-( I have skin that eats up Opium & Angel, but B&BW has made something that is so strong it's repulsive. Whenever I'm on the bus or train, there never fails to be *one* person wearing Cherry Blossom, Coconut Lime Verbena, or some other B&BW creation that smells up the entire area and has others looking around sniffing and gasping for air. The only person NOT doing this is the offending wearer - making it obvious who it is and all the glares end up focused in their direction. lol Even my teenage daughter, who loves B&BW, no longer wears it and gets annoyed when her friends stink up the classroom and give everyone a headache.

*This new formulation also seems to be less moisturizing and is so highly perfumed that it makes my skin itch. My daughter also loves B&BW, but gets rashes from the newer formulas(in the newer packaging).

I'm really sad about the turn B&BW has taken in their formulation as it ruins the other progress they've made in packaging and exploring new scents.

At this point I will not be repurchasing anything from B&BW except for perhaps their 'discontinued' lines that they bring back at the semi-annuals. But really, I'm tired of the older formulas and just wish they would fix the new fragrances. I'd love to wear some of them if they weren't so LOUD and irritating. >:-(

on 6/5/2009 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

For some reason, I have to be in the mood to go into this store. There seems to be a lot going on vs. the body shop where i am generally interested in the products. Don't get me wrong, I take full advantage of their sales, but would generally avoid it during general shopping.

on 5/19/2009 9:43:00 PM

I really love the store and I think that all of their products are fantastic. I like the fact that they started to get into more complex scents that are not so juvenile. What I don't like is them upping the prices on edt which is same scent just slightly different bottle.
Also, since there is no BBW in HI, I have to order it online and their shipping rates are outragerous. Mind you, lot of retailers rip you off and BBW is up there with the worst of them. They actually charge separate shipping for body sprays and edt because items contain alcogol which supposedly can only go by UPS second day air, at the rate of around $20. Now, I've ordered perfumes online and didn't have to pay this kind of shippining anywhere else. That's the only reason why I don't order from them that often. If they had a store here, I'd shop there all the time

on 3/29/2009 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love going into B&BW. My sister and I enjoy just trying out and smelling the products, especially when their new items come out each season. They cater to a very wide demographic, so I can find gifts for everyone from pre-teens to those who are my age and older. As noted by others, the sales people are very friendly and helpful without being overbearing. I do watch for sales, especially so I can stock up on the antibacterial liquid soaps, since they sit at every sink in my house most of the time. My favorite B&BW scents are Moonlight Path, Sensual Amber and Black Amethyst. I also love the CO Bigelow and True Blue Spa lines.

on 3/20/2009 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have been shopping at my local Bath and Body Works for quite a long time and I love it there

The customer service is amazing and they are always willing to help me find what I want/need and if they don't have it they can usually get it in for me within the week.

Sometimes their scents are hit and miss like all body shops but I think their customer service is just spectacular at least at the one I visit

on 2/23/2009 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm re-doing my review of BBW after visiting my closest store last weekend :-) Though I just started shopping there again in the past year, I shopped there a lot in middle school when Juniper Breeze, Cucumber Melon, Country Apple, and Pearberry were a hit. I stopped shopping there for several years because I've always had a limited income and chose to spend my money on clothes and stuff. This past year BBW has sucked me in so many times because of sales and coupons! Because I'm a cheap college student, BBW is alittle expensive to me so I'm a sucker for sales. Nothing I ever loved from there got discontinued, but I can see how it gets annoying (though it looks like discountinued scents might hang around for some time on the website). They have alot of scents to chose from, and there is usually something for everyone (I'm a fan of Coconut Lime Verbana, Sweet Pea and Sensual Amber). However, what I don't like is how upscale I feel like they are trying to be. Their new packaging and alot of their new scents reek of trying to be sophisticated when I feel like they might trying to be reaching an audience that shops at high end department stores (and I feel that these people are simply untouchable- they don't want synthetic fragrances and/or they can afford more expensive stuff and don't want to be bothered with average priced scents). I am only 22, so I can see why I might have liked the old packaging that was more 'fun', but I feel like they are trying to make their products seem better than they are. Their lotion isn't that moisturizing, some items I think are fair in price but some of the stuff are just ridiculous. I don't have a problem with pushy SA's usually and that's a huge thing for me because I'm paranoid in general and hate when people stare at me when I'm shopping. I really like the sugar scrub in the Aromatherapy line, the CO Bigelow Mentha body wash, and I'm digging the liplicious lipglosses. Unlike most, I don't care for their antibacterial soap (dial soap is fine and cheaper for me lol) but they have amazing sales which will always keep me peeking in :-)

on 12/7/2008 11:14:00 PM

This is one of my favorite stores. I stop by every time I am at a mall just to sniff or spray on one of my favorites. I will always buy their stuff because I love lotions and their prices are great!

I Love Bath & Body Works!

They are constantly having sales and they have fantastic products! High-end cosmetics are also always on sale at B&BW. Love Love Love: Don't know what I'd do with this fab store. Seriously. :]

on 9/27/2008 12:34:00 AM

LOVE. THIS. STORE.
The SA's are always friendly, they will always do their best to answer your questions, even if it means they have to find someone to ask. They never complain or act put out if you ask them to check and see if they have something you're looking for in the back. I've never had a problem using their coupons, which they are quite generous with.
Also their products are great and quite fairly priced. Their fragrances are kind of hit and miss but you can't please everyone all the time and they come out with enough new scents to keep me in a constant state of wanting something from there.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I gave BBW 3 lippies because I do like the lip products a lot (Liplicious gloss has some fabulous shades, and the Bigelow stuff is nice quality). However, I have never smelled a BBW body care or fragrance product that made me want to buy it.

I'm not saying the stuff isn't pleasant-smelling, and I understand why so many people like it (it's less "perfumy," appropriate for casual wear). But I am a lover of true perfumes, scents that make a complex impression, rather than leaving me smelling like cucumbers or blackberries or hazelnut toffee. At the prices BBW charges, you know they are using synthetic fragrance notes in the products, and my nose knows. Even some of their forays into floral scents remind me of shampoo or potpourri rather than real perfume.

Popular Other Products