August 29, 2014 | 1733 users online

Foundations - Sally Hansen - Natural Beauty inspired by Carmindy Airbrush Spray Makeup

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2011 8:11:00 PM More reviews by lizzbear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think this is a really great product if consumers are aware of a few things before they consider buying this foundation.

First, you aren't supposed to spray this foundation directly onto your face. I know people will be like, "what's the point then?" I totally understand that, but Carmindy even states on the What Not to Wear show that you should apply it to a sponge first.

Second, the coverage is pretty light. I would only use this foundation if your skin is in pretty good condition to start with because it will not hide a lot of redness and/or blemishes. It's true that you can apply more for a fuller coverage, but I would not suggest it because it defeats the purpose of this product as the finish will not look as natural. Also, if you skin is on the dry side I think you may have problems getting a natural looking finish with this particular foundation and it may too drying.

That being said, I personally LOVE this product. Yes, it has it's downsides, but I think it's attributes outweigh the negatives. I actually apply this foundation by spraying it onto a highlighter brush and then to my face using light circular motions. The coverage is so natural and light that if applied correctly, it will look like your bare skin, but just better :) The best part is that even in bright direct sunlight, it will look very natural. I do think this foundation is good for oily skin, but don't expect it to keep you from getting oily all day. In summer it takes my skin about 4 hrs to get oily, but for me that is a long time! There can be some oxidation with this foundation too, but I have only noticed it after 5 or more hours and it was pretty minimal. My only real complaints about this foundation are that it is expensive for the amount and the shades are very limited. I do think one shade can blend a shade darker or lighter though, but those with olive skin tones should probably go a shade darker than they'd think they need when looking at the color swatches. I would definitely purchase this product again :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by tinky29

overall rating = 5 because i'm happy with the product
price = 4 because it is pretty pricey for a small packaging
packaging quality = 4 because it is not messy but i find that i could never find out whether it is almost done or not

I have oily and acne-prone skin. Prior to using this airbrush foundation, I was using Revlon's colorstay which is also one of my faves. However, I just wanted something that is a little bit more lighter but has at least medium to full coverage. I have been looking for this airbrush foundation in Toronto and my store recently started carrying its line. So I thought that I would try it since I would get a 30% discount. I was pretty hesitant with the product as many reviews I've read state that they do not like the foundation. I still gave it a go.

I am really glad I tried this product because not only does it give this light feeling but medium to buildable full coverage. It can definitely be used for light coverage. this foundation, i find, is flexible regarding coverage.

For a light coverage, I would use a sponge. For a medium to full coverage, I would definitely recommend spraying the foundation first on your fingers and then applying it to your face. It comes out liquid from the can but I notice that once blended onto the face, it gives this pretty matte, a little powdery feeling that i really like!

another good thing I noticed about this make-up is that it is very easy to remove compared to my revlon's colorstay. It does not clog my pores whatsoever and my skin right now is really clear! I would definitely recommend this product. Just give it a try! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 11:55:00 AM More reviews by TeHNyboR

I actually liked this product! It had kind of a funky odor...but it wasn't bad enough for me to stop using it. It gave a fairly light coverage, and didn't accentuate the dry patches over my skin. And it felt really light too! Definitely buying this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 8:18:00 PM More reviews by shennie87

First of all, my skin type is oily to combination and my skin color is fair to medium. I have acne-pron skin, but I only tend to breakout on my chin, cheeks, and forhead. It's minimal, but my pores are still noticable close up.

Now on to the review: I love this product because it is a light coverage foundation. It dries really fast on my face and blends very well into my skin. I look like I don't even have any foundation on. To me, it's enough coverage for my dark circles and any redness. After applying it on, I just set it with a mineral powder and I'm set to go! It stays on my face the whole day.

The only thing I do not like is the price. Luckly I found a coupon on the Sally Hansen website. Overall, I would purchase this foundation again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 12:42:00 AM More reviews by Girlfit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Wow, I have no idea why this is getting such great reviews. I have used both the Dior Airflash, the Napoleon Perdis Boudoir Mist AND a professional airbrush gun, just so you know what my point of reference is.

I was doing a gig where I really didn't want to haul my airbrush gun, I needed to do 2 model's foundations quickly but didn't really want to use up my expensive spray foundations. So I went to CVS and bought these figuring that one aerosol foundation is just as good as another one that costs more. Boy, was I wrong.

I am used to both the Dior and the NP ones where you can comfortably spray the face straight from the can at about 8-10 inches from the face no problem. Sure, you do get a bit of product that aerosolizes and wasted but for the most part, the majority of what you spray hits the face. The product comes out at about the same strength as any Evian spray water.

This stuff is WAY different. Having never used it before, I though I could use it the same as I used the other two. WRONG. The foundation shoots out of this so strongly that I kid you not, it was literally akin to taking spray paint to the face. It was similar to trying to spray out of an airbrush gun with the PSI on your compressor set WAY WAY too high. There is absolutely no graceful way to spray this onto the skin. I had to spray this SO far back from the model's face that the majority of it just went into the air and not on the skin. It took me about 20 seconds to realize that this stuff was NOT going to work well that I ultimately just grabbed my Napoleon Perdis stuff that, thank god, I did pack with me "just in case".

I always saw Carmindy spraying onto a sponge first and then applying it to the face from the sponge so maybe that is how this is intended to be applied. If that's the case, how stupid is that. What's the damn point of buying a SPRAY foundation if you aren't SPRAYING IT ONTO THE FACE? If I wanted to sponge apply something, I'd just use my standard liquid foundations! Isn't the whole freakin' point of a aerosol can foundation to mimic an airbrush application?

Thank goodness CVS has such a great return policy. I returned all three that I bought (the one I used and the 2 I didn't open) the very next day.

I can't really speak much for the color selection. It shot out of the can so violently, I didn't give the product much chance before I bailed on it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2010 7:54:00 PM More reviews by kaciamay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The most terrible smelling product. It has a really rank smell and overlaying it is a plastic flowery scent. I still tried it on my face and coverage was nil. Price is pretty expensive for a drug store brand so that just added to my disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2010 7:57:00 PM More reviews by lowcarb

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

About a month ago I fell down face-forward and had to get 15 stitches from my nose to my chin.

This wound are is healing well thanks to two cosmetic dermatologists who used plastic surgery stitch technique for the wound site. I will probably have about 1 inch of barely visible scar just to the right of my chin. The rest of the scar area has already healed with no scarring at all (yay!).

Healing hint: use Kelo-cote (no prescription, but $40.00 for a small tube) and Biafine (prescription covered by my insurance to $35.00). Biafine is sold on amazon.com IIRC.
Kelo-cote for the thin scar lines and Biafine for the wide ones.

Anyway, during this healing period I've tried several concealers (Laura Mercier, Jane Iredale) and a stick foundation (Becca) , and a liquid foundation (Clinique) and none of them cover the irregular cut mark like the Airbrush Spray Makeup by Carmindy.

I bought it at CVS for $15.49 (California). Had to check out three CVS stores before finding the store that had this item.

Its really the spray-on technique that enables the foundation to get into the hard-to-cover sections.

For reference, I'm a MAC NC-25 and the Light is a shade too light for me. However its perfect for the wound site since the tissue is redder than surrounding skin.

I shake the can for about 20 seconds and hold it about 8 inches from the wound area and I get excellent coverage.

I need just a single spray (spray on directly) and use a latex foam wedge to smooth it out and feather into the surrounding skin.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 4:21:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This Airbrush foundation was a surprise for me. Surprise in that it actually looks good on me. the color was spot on for my skin. Typically I find most foundations oxidize on me after an hour, turning orangy and dark. Maybe it's my skins Ph, I'm not sure why. I was in CVS actually looking at Physician's mineral makeup when this caught my eye. I had a can of Dior's Airbrush in a can makeup. Dior's colors were limited and the lightest made me look dead and the next one up was way too dark. But I did like the look that airbrush makeup gives you. Having coupon in hand, I decided to buy this little can. It's rather small for the price, but I took a chance on it

. After exfoliating, moisturizing and using a little primer (Lorac Aqua), I put my hair back in a ponytail and towel around my face to keep the makeup from getting in my hair. I sprayed a fine mist and then damp sponged it into my skin by dabbing on (Never smear with a sponge). It looked ok. I let it dry. Put a little concealer on and then a second pass with the spray, dab with sponge and wow. The second coat made a difference. It looked like my skin, but much better. I typically need a medium to heavy coverage, thus the two coats. I can see one coat being ok for most people for daytime. It looks very natural. I am impressed. I've always loved Carmindy's Makeup techniques and flattering not over the top style. I think she does "Classic" makeup which looks good on every woman. I'm thrilled and plan to pick up some more with my CVS Bonus rewards next quarter. My only complaint (Thus the 4 stars) is it's too expensive for such a small bottle. But I will say that if I get results like this, I will continue to buy it.

I'm also on Tazorac, very drying. so if you are very dry, exfoliate, moisturize first. I am using Vitamin E Oil and jojoba which sinks into the skin giving it a nice base for makeup. This is good for Oilier/Combo skins. I still had to powder my T-zone, as I'm very oily there.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2010 4:40:00 PM More reviews by nicole33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm taking this back because it just doesn't look great and frankly I think it's expensive for how small the can is. The colour oxidizes slightly and it wore off so fast that I needed to reapply and then it just didn't look very "natural".

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2010 2:03:00 PM More reviews by grmegan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The coverage is pretty light, but it can be built up. It looks pretty natural in daylight which is a huge plus. I wouldn't recommend this foundation for going out at night though because it is a little too light. A couple of things I didn't like about it is that there isn't a lot of makeup in the tiny spray can and the colors are very limited.