MAC Studio Finish Concealer

3.9

on 2/1/2015 1:47:00 PM

I've been using a pot of this in NW20 as the core ingredient in my makeup routine for 4 to 5 years now. I have had (though it's improved quite a bit with peel products), a lot of hyperpigmentation from acne breakouts. The marks proved so difficult to cover with all of the makeup that I tried.

So years ago I went to MAC with a bare face (not fun, let me tell you) and asked them to color match a concealer to me. After going through many shades, they found that NW20 did the best job of matching to my underlying skin tone and covering up the acne marks. I was actually amazed at just how much it seemed to erase the redness.

Now I use this right after my morning moisturizer to conceal any old marks or active blemishes. I use a MAC concealer brush and try to go in light layers to build up the coverage rather than a heavy layer all at once. I then buff on Bare Minerals in Light. If the buffing reveals some marks that need more coverage, I'll go back over with another few dabs of the NW20 concealer. Then buff again to smooth the texture with the rest of my face.

I think this is an almost perfect product with just a few exceptions. The longer you have the product, the more it seems to dry out. Because the product lasts so long, that can be a bit annoying. I tend to buy more of the product when there is still a decent amount left just because I want a fresh, more moist pot. And as others have mentioned, the consistency is heavy so this tends to crease when it gets under my eyes or around my laugh lines. It also shows off dry patches when I'm battling a particularly nasty blemish or when the weather turns surprisingly dry and cold. A little press of my finger tip on those areas or even a small dab of moisturizer worked in usually solves the problem. But after 8 hours of work where I don't have time to do those types of things, I can sometimes look a bit rough if I haven't touched up my makeup. Nevertheless, the coverage from a color standpoint has infinite staying power. And that's what I care most about.

on 1/29/2015 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have this in nc42. And this is my perfect shade all year long. I prefer to apply this with my Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush and then blend lightly with my fingers. This can be used under the eyes, if you sone have many fine lines. But it much be set immediately. I prefer to use this for blemishes that aren't raised and extra dry.

I also like to use this to clean up under my brows. It's perfect for a natural highlight. For me anyways.

I love the packaging, and the consistency seems very thick upon first application. But with a light hand and fluffy enough brush you'll love this.

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

My skintone is somewhere in between of NC15 and NC20. I bought this concealer in both shades to use it mainly on my dark undereyes and were unable to make it work for my skin. NC 15 is too light and NC 20 is too dark. No matter how I applied and mixed them, it didnīt work.
Although I think that those who find the right shade can have a well amount of coverace for the undereyes.

on 1/22/2015 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Thick concealer and doesn't last whole day. The texture also dries up as you get closer to hitting pan.Will not be repurchasing this product from Mac.

on 1/21/2015 11:19:00 PM

Ive been using this for over a year now and I still love it! Very good coverage for my blemishes and last a long time. Not cakey at all, just set it with powder. A little also goes a long way. I still have about 3/4 of the container. Must have!

on 1/21/2015 4:45:00 PM

If you have dark under eye circles (me) or anything else that needs to be covered this is the concealer for you. It's super pigmented, high coverage and will last you forever. You can complain about your dark circles to people and they won't believe you because that's how awesome this concealer is!

Go to a MAC Pro store if you can and have them color match you. I keep going back to mac because they have a great range of colors which is really helpful when you have a tricky skin tone to match that seems to mystify people (half asian/half white).

The only thing I don't like about it is the packaging is in a pot but that's really the only way it can be since it's so thick. Just get a concealer brush so you don't have to dip your fingers in it, I use one of the sephora ones and it works great.

on 1/19/2015 1:27:00 PM

I have been a lover of all things Mac before my severe acne breakout. After that, I grew a sensitivity to Mac as well as other foundations as well which is sad. But before my breakout, I had dry and sensitive skin and this concealer never broke me out. IT COVERS EVERYTHING: from redness, to hyperpigmentation, to new acne lesions, as well as old scars. I absolutely adored this concealer and for a long time (5 years to be exact), I never ventured to another concealer as this worked so well on my skin. If you're not careful, it can cling to dry spots, but a good moisturizer and setting spray should aid in that. I recommend applying a thin layer with your finger to warm up the product, then building as you go to get more coverage.

This small pot will last you a long time. When my skin was clearer and I only needed to spot treat small areas of my face, it lasted well over a year. I would steer clear from putting this under your eyes though, as it has a tendency to settle into fine lines that crease in that area, making them more prominent. Overall, wonderful product and I am sad that my stupid, sensitive skin is no longer suitable for it.

on 1/19/2015 10:54:00 AM

I have very dark under-eye dark circles and this does an excellent job of covering them upto 80-90%. This is a very creamy product - If your under-eye skin area is dry (like mine), then you need to moisturize first, else the product creases. Use a good moisturizer or emollient cream.

on 1/18/2015 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have dry skin and if I don't moisturize before applying this product I won't even consider using it. However it's very full coverage comes in a variety of shades and buildable for maximum coverage! I have acne scars from years ago that completely disappear when using this product! Will buy again. Only downfall is it's drying and creases

on 1/10/2015 4:40:00 PM

I have very dark under eye circles and I use NW25. Best concealer.

Top Rated MAC Products