Bare Escentuals Kabuki Brush

2.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

My first kabuki brush! On the plus side, it did provide good coverage. But that's pretty much it. It wasn't until I started using other makeup brushes that I realized how scratchy this brush is. If it were a few dollars, I would understand, but it's $28 at sephora, and for that much money, I would expect much better quality. It's synthetic, not natural, which is what accounts for the rough/scratchy texture when used on your skin. Plus, it doesn't last very long - the hairs were falling off within months and getting stuck on my face during application. Keep it long enough, and the entire top comes off of the handle, which just leads to more shedding. Plus, it smells really bad after a while (I feel like it got worse each time I washed it).

I've actually noticed that all bare escentuals brushes are like this - at least the fluffy ones. I still have their concealer brush though - that one's never given me any problems (probably bc the hairs are compact rather than "fluffy")

on 9/6/2010 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Sheds like crazy!!!!!! Also once you wash it it gets so hard and stuff, feels like your scraching the skin off your face!! Horrible, never again. Ive given up on BE :(

Really scratchy, and sheds :( I can only stand to use this for blush or a touch of bronzer.

on 9/2/2010 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

It sheds, it scratches, and mine recently fell apart completely. Have had it for about 18 months . I was using it one day when the brush part came right out of the handle. I tried gluing it back together but all of the bristles kept falling out so I chucked it in the garbage. I need a kabuki brush now, but not this one. Anyone got any good recomendations?

Although I agree with others that this brush can be a bit scratchy, I absolutely love it because of the full coverage it gives. It really helps even out my skintone whichever mineral powder I've used. I have tried other kabuki brushes and coverage-wise, no other can compare! I've washed my brush every week and it hasn't broken apart yet. Even if it does, I will repurchase another because there is nothing like it! My skin is not especially sensitive, so the scratchiness doesn't bother me that much (I will take one lippie off for that though). If anybody knows a brush that would give the same perfectly full coverage but has softer bristles, please share!!!

on 8/17/2010 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really do like this brush. I've washed it many times (about once a week - I'm a germaphob and I hate dirty brushes) and it's held up well. The only issue is - it's very scratchy. It used to be very very soft, but now it's not and I'm not a fan of that. It may be due to over washing it, but I'm not quite sure. I like the size of the brush particularly. I love that the handle is shorter cause it's really a lot easier to use for me. That's probably just me though haha.

I do think that it's a good starter brush. I would recommend it to anyone trying BareMinerals for the first time.

on 7/24/2010 5:19:00 PM

I use the mini one that came with the free BE foundation sample for my mineral blush. Works great!! I have had no problem with it shedding and it picks up just enough color to pretty my cheeks :)

on 7/23/2010 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I bought this a few years ago on eBay when I started using mineral makeup. I figured a brush from Bare Escentuals would be good since that's supposed to be a very good brand of mineral makeup. I think I paid $18 for it, which was pretty expensive for me considering I was still in high school at the time. well, I've washed it a few times over the years (I don't use it all that much) and it seems to have lost its effect. it's supposed to be a full coverage brush but lately I've been using it again and I noticed it hardly puts any makeup on my face (I use Meow). I think something must have happened when I washed it. I therefore give this brush 2 lippies because for the price I paid for it, it should be better than this.

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This is a great brush if you are wanting a full coverage look. It feels soft. I personally love all the BE brushes. They last a long time and feel soft on the skin. I do however wish the handle part on this brush was a little longer, for better hold control. But even with that I Iove this brush.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is the worst brush i have EVER used. It is overpriced,scratchy and loses its shape after a small number of washes. it doesnt pick up enough mineral powder foundation unless you cake it on. The handle is also too small to get proper control. Useless brush..

Popular Makeup Brushes