April 16, 2014 | 1899 users online

Sunscreen - La Roche Posay - Anthelios Xl SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme (for face)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2011 8:13:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this to replace my beloved L'oreal Solar Expertise Matte Fluid spf 50 (which has sadly been discontinued) but it isnt very good. It may give excellent protection for the face, but it is just too greasy for me to use! Eugh. I will try Clarins or Chanel next.
EDIT I have since discovered that chemical sunscreens made my skin flush red when in the sun, I just assumed it was my skin not liking the heat but since switching to physical SS I havent had that problem.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2011 9:03:00 AM More reviews by catlady21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Bought this product to use as a daily sunscreen as La Roche has good UVA as well as UVB protection. As an added bonus this product does not contain parabens (I have tried a number of natural based sunscreens which are paraben free but have found all of these products difficult to rub in and difficult to apply makeup over).
The texture is light and is comparable to l'oreal Solar Expertise matte fluide. I did notice though that it left a white cast on my face and after wearing it for several hours my skin started to feel very dry and flaky. I have since tried the spf 50+ melt in cream version of this product which seems to work better for me ( the tinted cream is quite dark so I mix the normal cream and the tinted cream versions together and this prevents the white cast - you have to buy 2 tubes for this though).
If you have normal-oily skin you may find that La Roche-Posay Fluide Extreme works well for you but if you have dry skin I would opt for the cream version instead.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/29/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by LianneN

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've just read the first page of reviews...I'm sorry but geeze! I love this sunscreen! I have been using it for about 4 months, if not more. For the person who said the liquid texture it too hard to spread...put it in the palm of your hand, spread it over your hand, and place your hands over your face and pat...voila!

I guess the white cast depends on how brown you are! I get s slight white cast for 30 seconds, then its fine. It's slightly greasy but not really. This sunscreen has helped me with my sensitive skin from retin A and helps protect me from darkening my freckles!

I use the SPF 50 version for when Im in the sun a lot, the SPF 30 for everyday. This sunscreen does not break me out...

But I do prefer shiseido senka SPF50

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by honeystix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Fluide Extreme is probably the best sunscreen on the market in terms of protection, but I would not wear it if I planned to be seen by people, other than perhaps at the beach. It creeps right into tiny lines that are normally invisible. I gave my tube to a friend with totally different skin tone/texture and she had the same result! I don't have that problem with the Pediatric formula .

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2011 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Flippit

I was worried about this turning me into Casper, but I have to say the whiteness is not very noticeable. Nobody has shrieked at the sight of me or anything. I've only used it a few times so I can't say if it's a good long-term choice, but so far I'm impressed with the non-greasy feel and look. Love that it's unscented.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 2:01:00 PM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is finally available at Shoppers's Drug Mart here in Atlantic Canada!
I was using the Sofina Perfect Lucent which I love as well but I don't like the idea of not knowing what ingredients are in the sunscreen as everything is written in Japanese and also that there's no expiration date.
I feel safer and more confident using this, I absolutely love it and will repurchase as long as I can. The price is for sure worth it $30 CDN taxes in for 50 ml.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2011 5:56:00 AM More reviews by Monique372

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I cannot say how much I love this product. I don't go a day without it. So light and clean - this product has kept me years younger than my age!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2011 4:35:00 AM More reviews by kus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was converted to Anthelios Xl SPF 50 4yrs ago. At that time this was the only sunscreen with such a high spf. I live in the tropics, so not only do i have to worry about UVB but also about UVA and this product caters well for both.
To be honest at the time it was really impossible to have a sunblock that felt so light, and just a little white cast. Most beach sun blocks makes you look like a ghost and would make me break out. Not this one ! never broke out with it but you do have to wear powder on it.

I wear Anthelios Xl SPF 50 every day religiously even if my BE has spf in it. Bottom line it protects and thats the most important thing but is not so much water resistant.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by Betty24

HG sunscreen for me :)

Lightweight, runny texture and does not cause breakouts. It does leave a faint, whitish cast but I don't think this a bad trade-off since it protects me against sunburns and will protect my skin in the long-term. I've also used this while swimming and I also found it to be waterproof.

I would recommend applying a water-based serum before applying this is you have dry or combination skin. If you apply this sunscreen too thickly or use a heavy moisturizer underneath, it can ball up a bit.

If you are in the United States, ordering this can be more expensive than getting the US version of La Roche Posay sunscreens. However, I feel that Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme is superior to the American version in terms of sun protection.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2010 2:58:00 PM More reviews by CamillaDK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Even though I love the high SPF/UVB-protection this product offers along with the fact that it doesn't contain perfume, this leaves a way too noticeable white-cast on my skin - and I'm very fair! I'm not a fan of wearing foundation or powder during the summer but needed too in order to camouflage my look as Casper the friendly ghost. I found it impossible to apply my mineral foundation smoothly over this. On the positive side, it didn't break me out and the shiny sheen it left on my face was tolerable - but it seem to irritate my sensitive skin a little. I won't repurchase.