September 18, 2014 | 1690 users online

Mascara - Bare Escentuals - buxom lash

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Caleigh2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am a mascara junkie. For many years I was hopelessly devoted to Lancome Definicils even though I seemed to try every high end and some drugstore mascaras that came out. My personal favorite for the last 3 years and the one I keep coming back to is the Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash. It is reasonably priced at $19 for a higher end mascara, it comes in a large tube, lasts longer than the shelf life (I definitely toss mascara after 6 months, not worth contamination). It is a very good deep black and it gives me a lot of length and some fullness without stickiness or clumps. I despise mascara that clumps or gives "spider lashes"!
If I choose to use my eyelash curler (shu ) I can get a wide open almost false lashes look without too much work but this mascara also fills in lashes nicely and adds length and some volume and will hold a curl on my lashes without using an eyelash curler. Sometimes for casual day look I prefer not to use the curler. Several of the sales associates at my local Sephora have told me this is their "go to" mascara. I strongly recommend giving it a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by smashlers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was at Sephora buying another mascara that I needed to be waterproof, and then I saw the mini version of Buxom Lash at the checkout area for $13 that I've been wanting to try for awhile because of good things I have heard.
I love when brands have travel/mini sizes like this because I have no problem spending $13 right away to try this before buying a full size!

Anyway, I have been apprehensive about any mascaras with the plastic bristles instead of the brush for a long time now and I have just avoided trying them. I have now used one other mascara and this Buxom Lash Mascara with this type of brush and I love it! It is SO easy to apply, and the bristles do a much more thorough application job than the regular brush I am used to. I also love how black this mascara is, as soon as I apply it. I have very blonde and thin eyelashes so I need this so much! I am used to having to brush through my eyelashes several times trying to get enough volume but also trying to get rid of large clumps. This brush and mascara applies lots of product giving you the look you want, but with no clumps.
I do not think this is expensive. The full size is $24 CAD and I can't think of many mascaras cheaper than that except for drugstore brands.

Complaints: it doesn't dry hard, so my lashes are not staying curled. If it weren't for the dark dark black, you may not notice them at all. The only other things I can say is that it is not very fast-drying so it can smudge if you don't wait a minute; and it is so easy to apply but sometimes I forgot the shape of the brush and can easily poke myself in the eye because I'm in a hurry! My own fault!

I really like this mascara so far, I am curious to see how it wears after a few more days to see how I still like it.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants long, very dark black lashes and a brush that makes it very quick and easy to apply!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2013 5:59:00 PM More reviews by LolaMay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this in the sample size.

PROS
*Nice black color
*Love the brush. Separates well.
*Defines lashes well.

CONS
*Higher in price
*Did not do much for volume for me. I don't know if this might be because the sample was a little older (even though it had not previously been opened).
*I felt like this was not wet enough or volumizing, which is why I was disappointed.

Despite this, I may consider purchasing a full size in order to determine if my sample was just a little dried out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2013 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Kentauride

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a sample size of this in one of those Sephora points bonus things and fell in love, since then I have purchased the full size. The brush! It works so well! I hate clumps. I also hate the hassle of using a spoolie or comb to separate my lashes - I want the brush to do that! Is that so much to ask?!? Apparently not, as here is a product which does just that! It separates my lashes perfectly. A second coat on the outer edges gives me that awesome doll-like butterfly effect. I feel like I am ruined for other mascaras because after this, none of the others I have tried have been satisfactory. I only have two complaints - first, the formula is a little slow to dry, so if I sneeze during application I have a real mess to clean up. The slower drying time also makes it transfer to my lower lashes a little more than I prefer. My other complaint is that it only comes in black. I feel like black is just a little too harsh for me, especially if I am going for a more natural look. I'd love to have this in brown/black or brown, and it would be great if it came in fun colors like the plum that makes my eyes look greener. In the meantime I will keep using this in black.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2013 8:38:00 PM More reviews by weirdhologurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used to LOVE this mascara, it was my HG and I knew no other greatness.
Unfortunately my eyes became very sensitive to it, resulting in red eyes and styes!
I think the plastic brush irritated my lids when applied close to the lash line, also it would always start to flake by the end of day.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by summershields

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My hg mascara! I absolutely love the formula and have not found another mascara quite like it. I don't necessarily like the price but I can't find a drugstore mascara comparable. Never irritates my sensitive eyes. Lengthens and adds volume while not clumping. Packaging is somewhat large but sleek.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by phan22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this mascara and have repurchased around 4 times now (which is a lot for mascara, because I was always searching for something better!). I can't give it a 5 because no mascara is really perfect for me, but if I could, I guess it would be a 4.5. I have straight, sparse lashes and Buxom makes them dark, defined, volumized and lengthened. It does not hold a curl as well as other mascaras or waterproof mascaras, but I am willing to sacrifice curl for lash health and easy removal. Buxom never/rarely clumps even with 2-3 coats, and the color is sooo lush, true-black. It lasts a long time too- I use one tube for around 6 months before it starts to get thicker/old. Drugstore mascaras dry up within 3 months I think, so that's how I justify spending $19 for Buxom :) I like that the ingredients aren't as harsh or drying which seems to help with minimizing lash fall-out. It's very easy to remove which is really important to me- I don't want to rub and tug which causes sagging and lash loss. For you lucky ladies with longer/thicker eyelashes, Buxom will probably make your lashes look extra amazing! On me, it's a more natural eyelash look (which is what I like), but maybe for lash-blessed ladies it can create a more smoky eyelash look. It's my HG mascara for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2013 1:32:00 AM More reviews by AimeeNicole91

This is my all time favorite mascara (with Dior show as a close second). I'm pretty picky and rarely buy the same tube of mascara over again, always looking for something better. However I have never been able to move away from this mascara. It stays on all day and doesn't smudge. This mascara is fairly natural looking, which makes it great for an everyday mascara, but not what I wear when I'm looking for a lot of drama.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Xaephan

I got a mini one as a part of the Sephora lash box, and I wasn't impressed at all. The brush is a lot bigger than what it seems from the pictures, and was hard to use on my small and hooded lids (Asian monolids). The formula was okay, but nothing amazing--decently length and volume, rich colour, doesn't smudge throughout the day, but no curl holding abilities at all (though with how straight my lashes are, most non-waterproof mascaras don't hold my curl). With the price in mind, I would say that this wouldn't be a good buy at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by zrwr00

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my go to mascara for that beautiful natural look. It is advertised on sephora.com to be an "intensely volumizing mascara, for bigger fuller lashes". I disagree with this marketing. It does not give Intense Volume, I find it give a lot of definition, seperation, and a bit of length. If you have sparse lashes there is most likely another mascara in the same price range or lower that will offer you much more volume.

Application/Wand: I really love how easy this is to apply. It doesnt clump AT ALL and doesn't take long to make your lashes look beautiful. The wand is my favourite type of wand full with short sturdy bristles for that extra definition. It also provides easy application on the lower lashes which is deffinately a plus :-)

Formula: I love the formula of this mascara it doesnt have a harsh chemical smell to it at all. And it is formulated without parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, or phthalates. Which is great for people with sensitive eyes. The formula also doesnt clump like AT ALL which is amazing because it is so hard to find mascaras that dont get all clumpy.

Longevity/staying power: if there is one thing that I could change about this product this would be it. It does slide off quite easily but this can be fixed with a waterproof mascara sealant (anastasia lash genius) But if you don't have oily eyelids, aren't humid/sweaty you should be fine

*thank you for reading through my review and hopefully I was able to help you :-P :-) if you have any questions about this product PLEASE feel free to message me. Also feel free to message me if you have any other review requests or questions about certain products as I collect makeup and have a big collection and am going through to review other products in my collection* <3