Chanel Quadra - 14 Mystic Eyes

4.3

on 12/8/2009 10:26:00 PM

It has been years since I have purchased eyeshadow from Chanel. I had a few quads back in the day, but then ended up regretting most of my purchases as from what I remember, they were not all that pigmented considering the cost and then stayed clear of Chanel prodcuts for a long time. Well, I recently decided I wanted a nice neutral palette that wasn't plain brown. I looked at the Dior quints, Shiseido duos and Chanel quads (I wanted something with nice packaging!) and came across this. Well... i have learned a very valuable lesson in make-up shopping, and that is to resist impulse purchases and take a couple of weeks to consider my options. This quad is perfect! It is neutral, as many others have mentioned, consists of a pale pink shade, a shimmery taupe-y silver colour, an antique bronze-ish brown and a deep plummy brown. Funny enough, I was worried that the silver shade would not work on my olive skintone, as many greys simply do not, but it did since the shimmer gives it some dimension and it's a somewhat warm silver colour. The pale pink colour isn't quite as pigmented as I would have liked, but the other three go on very pigmented and true to the colour you see in the pan. Having used Benefit fy eye and a MAC shadestick as a base, as i do with all my shadows, the colours stayed put through a 12 hour day with minimal creasing on the inner corner but no slipping. And the application was super easy as all the colours blended very easily. There was a fair amount of fall out, but nothing Scotch tape cannot remedy! I will definitely repurchase this again as neutral has never looked so good!.

on 11/24/2009 11:56:00 PM

This is a fantastic quad! Ever since I bought it, it's the only quad I've been using. The colors go together fantastically, they really give off a mysterious look. The highlighting shade look fantastic. The dark brown and bronze color look amazing after blended together.

I love, love, love this.

I find the pink shade absolutely useless though. Wish they would have replaced that with an iridescent black. I use it to highlight my nose....

on 11/24/2009 9:50:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

***Pics and swatches at the end of the review ***This quad won my heart! I got this last month and have used it enough to say that it is one of my new faves! The eyeshadows are soft, silky and easy to blend. I'd say they're all nicely pigmented with the exception of the silver/taupe color. It reminds me of MAC lustre eyeshadows. More specifically honeylust. If you're not familiar, then it reminds me of Kitschmas pigment. The old formula. Very chunky in pigmentation and still sheer. I'm sure it would be nice foiled, but I don't like to wet anything but my loose eyeshadows.
I use TFSI underneath all my eyeshadows so I don't have any problems with creasing or fading for hours. The price is a bit steep, $56 + tax, which is why I took 1 star off. But these colors are nice enough on me for the looks that I usually wear that I would definitely buy it again.
I'd describe the 4 colors it has as a gorgeous plummy chocolate brown (that is perfect for a crease color), glowy pale salmon, a very silvery champagne/taupe and a golden brown. All are shimmery, without being too shimmery and not frosty. Mix and match these colors with others from your collection or use them on their own, this quad is simply awesome!
Here are a few pics of the quad itself in sunlight, shade and swatches on my NC40 skin without any base.
sunlight

shade

sunlight

continued >>

on 11/21/2009 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This quad was just sitting in my stash, I had used it a few times without much success...until my best friend, a Chanel make up artist, told me how she wears this and advises her customers to wear it who don't think its working for them. She said to apply the pale pink from lash line to brow and then take the shimmery silver and apply that all over the lid. Next you should use the bronzey brown in the crease and the darker plummy brown on the outer corners. You can either you the pluumy brown wet as a liner or line with a blue or a purple. She said it would be gorgeous and when I followed her advice it was! And so easy to do! Its the most amazing brown smokey eye. I have only done it with the plummy brown as a liner and black on my inner rims but I know the blue or purple liner would be a stunning contrast. This quad went from being in my maybe I should swap this pile to being a favorite after my besties advice on how to wear it. My only complaints are that the silvery / gold / cream color has falling shimmer...which is a super duper pet peeve of mine. I hate that fallout look but this is the least bad fallout I have seen. Its small shimmer, not glitter so if I were wearing a dewy foundation or shimmery highlighter then the fallout would theoretically go unnoticed...so I can live with that. Also the quad is very nice but its ridiculously expensive, I suppose now its not all the much more than like a holiday palette from MAC but this is still expensive to me hah. Anyway, highly recommended...especially my friends tips on how to wear...

on 11/13/2009 3:06:00 PM

The shadows are uber-finely-milled and highly pigmented-- the packaging is elegant and well made-- it's a joy to use these shadows every day. I use the silver on the lid, the pinky white on the browbone, the golden brown on my outside corner, and then I line with the burgundy brown on my upper lid-- the lower line I use the golden brown. These shadows are great neutrals and seem to go with anything. I'm PPP and turquoise eyes, reddish brown hair-- for the record. Very flattering. Would definitely buy again.

on 11/11/2009 11:46:00 PM

Over the last year I went on a Chanel quadra binge, buying Beiges de Chanel, Mystic Eyes and Winter Nights. This is my least favorite of the bunch. First, just so frosty! Also the combination of the silver and the warm brown... I've never been able to figure out how to combine those two together on my small Asian lids (don't have the massive canvases some MUAers have for their artwork!) . I can wear either the pink and silver, or the pink and beige (which can pretty much be duped by the colors in Winter Nights) with the dark plum brown (similar to MAC Mystery) as liner.

But I'm addicted to Chanel, and would buy it again, b/c it's not terrible and is still more wearable than some of the other dark or colorful quads they make.

on 11/6/2009 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This quad is 0.04 oz and the newer quads are 0.24 oz. I do not like this formula, thank goodness they changed it and for good reasons. When I open it at first sight it's disappointing, it looks like over baked, cracking, chalky, glitter balls. The glitter is just all over the palette and when applied the frostyness needs to be toned down, it also applies rather chalky.

on 11/2/2009 11:00:00 AM

My first Chanel quad and love it. These shadows are beautiful applied dry and dramatic when applied with dampened brushes. The Chanel SA demonstrated this palette on me and I was easily sold. Brings out hazel eyes beautifully. When I complained that plum or brown liners never last all day for me, she suggested overlining the Chanel waterproof liner with a brushing of the plum brown. This tip works very well. Lasts all day long! Don't anticipate needing more than one additional quad of colors for any event.

on 10/29/2009 1:32:00 PM

This is my HG of eyeshadow, if i was stuck on a island with only one eyeshadow palette, this would be it. The colors are beautiful, perfect for my light eyes and skin, dark hair. The color is easily blendable, there is nothing i do not love about this palette; the price does not even phase me, that is how much i love this palette.

on 8/21/2009 8:15:00 AM

Hi all, I used to be a huge fan of Chanel eye shadows "Les 4 Ombres", but I switched to using everyday minerals eye shadows for a year or so and now, feeling nostalgic for my Chanels, bought a new set of Mystic Eyes

The color selection is really nice and I LOVE how all for colors are really shimmery.

The only thing that I noticed is that aside from the obviously dark brown, the other colors are all very translucent... they give a lot of shine and sparkle, but the opacity is not exactly what I was looking for. I wonder if I use them wet whether it will be any better.... will post an update later on this