Ecotools Five Piece Mineral Set (4 brushes, 1 case)

4.6

on 2/16/2012 9:52:00 AM

i have this brush set and the newer alicia silverstone ecotools brush set (the one with the purple flowers and no stipling brush) and overall, i must say that though both are good, this one i get more use out of!

all of the ecotools brushes are ridiculously soft but these brushes i feel are just a smidgen MORE softer (seriously, i like just stroking my face with these) and personally, i've found uses for nearly all of these. As a bit of a background, i don't wear foundation all over my face/use eyeshadow (as I have a tiny eyelids).

blush/powder brush - love this. it isn't tapered and i find it's way better for putting on bronzer than the blush brush in the alicia silverstone set (which is just their general blush brush)

eye blending brush - since i don't wear eyeshadow daily, i thought this would be a useless brush for me, but actually I use this nearly everyday to put loose powder over my eyes (to set gel eyeliner) as well as setting the spots where i put concealer (usually just around the nose). The small size of the brush is perfect for these areas and the shape allows the coverage of the translucent powder i use to be fairly light.

kabuki - i use this to blend all over my face after blush and bronzer and i really think it makes everything look that much more natural.

concealer brush - what i thought i would get the most use out of - but it is my least used of the set! generally i prefer using fingers, but sometimes if i'm wearing more makeup, i might use this just to spread product out etc. before blending it in

overall, love this set and i think i actually prefer the short handles over the typical length. the case it comes with is suitable for the brushes and good for travel, but it's not anything special (btw - my case is a zippered pouch, not the snap one shown in the pictures).

on 1/30/2012 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Overall, I liked this set. I love how Ecotools stepped their game up in affordable vegan brushes. I could care less about the packaging since that's not what I'm going to be using. It was a reasonable price for products that don't show any shedding, it's also soft. I use the crease brush as a concealer brush more than the concealer brush itself since using the crease brush will give me an even undereye color that'll blend with my foundation. I use the blush brush to blend out blush colors or I use it to apply setting powders. I just used the mini kabuki brush today and it provided me with an even application with my mineral foundation. Usually, synthetic brushes just swirl products around on your face without really doing its job of blending- but this seems to be a winner. I would buy this brush set again.

on 1/29/2012 5:10:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I love these brushes. They are soft and fluffy and are great quality for synthetic brushes. I have had this set for a year now and they are still in wonderful condition. I wash them often and have found that they do not smell funny, lose hairs or become brittle after many washes as other brushes do. The bristles still have the same spring and fullness as when I first got them. The only thing I was not crazy about was the packaging...but I keep them standing in a cup anyway.

on 1/28/2012 9:55:00 PM

These brushes are just wonderful. I'm especially obsessed with the fluffy crease blending brush in this set, both for softening and blending shadow, but especially for applying concealer under my eyes.

on 1/15/2012 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

These brushes are so soft and work better than expensive brushes I purchased ar Sephora. The application with this brush is so even. Love these, just hate the crappy packaging.

These brushes are wonderful! They are all incredibly soft, and I personally think they are better than the Bare Minerals brushes my sister and cousin had. The eco-friendly bag the set comes with I think is complete garbage, but that doesn't bother me too much. Overall, well worth the money, and, if you can get them on sale, you would get a great deal.
I plan on purchasing all the different types of brushes they have. You just can't go wrong.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Like everyone else here I found the brushes of good quality, soft and easy to clean. My favourite brush from this set is the blush brush.
Blush Brush - Deposits just the right amount of blush and is easy to apply and blend the blusher. I use a a pigmented powder blush (Lancome Pink Splash) which needs to be applied with a light hand, so far this blush brush beats the MAC 163 Stippling Brush for this pigmented blush. When I use this Ecotools brush, I don't have to be as careful and light with my hand when I apply the blush because the shape is contoured and more suitable to apply a powder blush with. With the Mac 163, it tends to get a bit more product on my face.

Mini Kabuki Brush - This is a small and handy sized brush for travel. I use it for loose powder and for buffing extra powder off my face. As a powder foundation brush, this is not very useful because its a mini brush and is too small to cover the entire face. But still, I think for travel purposes, it is suffice.

Eyeshadow blending brush - A very good brush to blend out your eyeshadows and soften the lines at the crease. The shape of this brush works better for applying eyeshadows than the full sized Ecotools eyeshadow blending brush which I also own.

Concealer brush - I use my fingers for concealers usually, but this concealer brush does a good job of blending too. I also use this as an eyeshadow shader for more precise application of powder eyeshadow.

Jute pouch - At first I didn't like the smell of the pouch material, but it's a natural canvass pouch and they all smell like that. The pouch tends to catch the powder that is on the brushes, not sure if you like it that way, but I guess it keeps my blush brush from having too much product on after I used it. It can get a little messy when you've been using your brushes for some time. I've had my set for at least 6 months, and now my pouch is pinkish on the inside with powder blush.

Overall this is a great set of brushes if you are on a budget, and also if you are looking for something small and compact to bring out.

on 11/5/2011 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this set because I was going on a trip and didn't want to lug around my full sizers around again (plus, they were more valuable), so I hit up MUA and got myself this set. First off, I gave away the short little buffer brush and the concealer brush to my younger sister, as I have no use for both (I use a different type of brush for my concealer which I will elaborate on), and I kept the powder/blush brush and eyeshadow brush for myself. The powder brush works well IF you prefer a really light application and finish, because it does not pick up powders that well. If you prefer heavier coverage I would tell you to pass on this. The biggest surprise is the eyeshadow brush; I already have travel-friendly eyeshadow brushes so I tried this for my liquid concealer. It is simply a-m-a-z-i-n-g for that purpose. It does not eat up product like my Sephora airbrush concealer brush and provides such a smooth and even application of concealer. Too bad they don't sell a full size of it. Overall, I give this set a 4 because the buffer brush is really flimsy and useless, but I absolutely adore the eyeshadow brush for concealer. Oh, and the baggy? Cute but useless unless you don't mind your brushes being squished into weird shapes.

on 10/27/2011 5:09:00 PM

These are my favorite travel brushes. I don't use the kabuki brush but take a full size kabuki with me for my mineral foundation. But the blush brush and the eye brushes are perfect for my travel needs. I love how the bristles stay soft. These are so much better than MAC travel brushes.

on 10/17/2011 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love Ecotools very much. They have good quality brushes for a much cheaper price than most quality brushes. I am working on extending my collection of Ecotools brushes at the moment. This brush set is great. They are so soft, and apply product smoothly. I don't use these exactly how you're supposed to. I use the fluffy powder brush as my blush brush, the kabuki as my powder/blending everything brush, the concealer brush as an under-eye concealer brush, and the blending brush as a concealer brush. They all work great, especially the powder brush and the kabuki. I love the little storage pouch, it fits all the brushes into my purse with ease (and room)!

Popular Makeup Brushes