October 22, 2014 | 1854 users online

Powder - New York Color - Smooth Skin Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2011 2:12:00 AM More reviews by Poptimist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this powder in "translucent," thinking it was a finishing powder. Maybe I was wrong and it's just an odd name for a powder foundation? Because it is very light, nearly ghost white, and it is definitely not translucent. If I apply it very lightly I can probably still use it to set my foundation, but I wouldn't have bought it if I had known what it was like.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2011 10:50:00 PM More reviews by FabulousFemme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product is decent for the price. It absorbs oil and makes my skin look really smooth. However, if too much is applied, it makes my face look very flat and cakey. I bought the translucent one because it was the only powder that was light enough to match my skin tone. The biggest negative about this product is the fact that it really irritated my eyes. I like to set my under eye concealer, so that was a definite turnoff. As well, if any flakes got into my eyes, they caused tiny scratches to form on my contact lenses. I have never had this happen to me before with any other powder. So in conclusion, if you just want a super cheap powder, this is an okay product, however I do not recommend this powder to contact lens wearers.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2011 6:08:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Absolutely underwhelming, nothing special. Affirms my belief that things that go over large masses of your face are worth investing in.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2011 4:45:00 AM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this powder- even more than my Maybelline Dream Matte Powder. Well i LOVE this powder so much more bc I wasnt lookin for the matte look most of the time. (when i want a more matte finish i do use Maybelline Dream Matte) but this powder gives you a more natural finish. more of a satin finish which i love about it since i have normal to dry skin depending apon the weather so more times than not i dont want anything to make me more matte unless im doing a look. this is my favorite powder ever! i love both the Pressed and Loose Powder-both absolutely phenomenal!!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2011 8:24:00 PM More reviews by kisstheradio

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's cheap, and it works. I wish I could give this a 3.5. I have oily skin and use this as an all-over-the-face setting powder. It's not that great at oil control, but at the price, I can't complain. I find if I apply this with the wrong brush, sometimes my face can look a little chalky - but mostly, it works fine. I'm NC25 and use the 'translucent' shade - it doesn't seem to change the color of my face or anything.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2011 8:38:00 PM More reviews by TayEmAubLy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this product 6 months ago and i was thrilled about it. It was kinda disappointing. I got it in Translucent since I am quite fair. however once I put it on over my tinted moisturizer, it was quite white, My sister has the same one in beige, and i tried her's on the next day, it matched my skin tone and was very smooth. Next time I will buy the beige one.

Pros: Found my skin tone
Smooth
Cheap

Cons: Not very pigmented
Looks cakey (Translucent one)
Cheesy packaging

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2011 5:24:00 PM More reviews by hancam1030

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was looking for something to replace my beloved Revlon Colorstay powder and picked this up dirt cheap. I have used this all up now, but I like my colorstay a bit more. I won't lie, this has good coverage and really does add that 'smooth skin' effect. I just find this hard to smooth over my skin. I would buy this again if I was broke or whatever.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2011 8:58:00 PM More reviews by phoenix511

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Bought this as an alternative to have on hand to my Rimmel powder (as a college student, I love how some of these uber cheap lines can be as or more effective than more expensive types). Unfortunately, this is a little too powdery for my tastes. I use translucent powder to set my liquid foundation, and this was much paler and coarser than I had anticipated, sort of like that itchy halloween makeup we all put up with as kids. It chalked around the little smidges of coverup on my zits and quickly migrated from my cheeks to my chin to my shirt. Perhaps it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of my makeup, but I'm certainly not going to change my other mainstays to match this. Its still in my bag only because in an emergency I can make it work for a little while, at least long enough to dash to the store for more of my regular.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by troglodyte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

No need to buy froufrou pressed powders when this is available. Cheap and effective.
I do not use the enclosed sponge, I use my blush brush as it looks more natural.
I like that it has no color.
Packaging is junk but I don't go around knocking it on walls and such, and for $3CAD I'm not complaining.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2011 3:19:00 AM More reviews by Lexx13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This review is long but I need to explain.
I've wasted so much money on powders in the last year. Way too much!
My favorite powder was clinique almost powder, because it concealed my pores and gave me a perfect matte finish over my foundation. Well it was getting too expensive to repurchase every few months ($30 CAD) so I started trying cheaper powders.
I tried L'oreal true match powder (oxidized insanely!), Maybelline dream matte powder (ok but not great for dry skin), tons of different mineral powders (bare minerals, everyday minerals, MAC skinfinish etc.) which all broke me out.
A few days ago I was going to grab MAC careblend pressed powder because I read good reviews. I went to MAC and saw it's $27.50 CAD and I just cringed. I don't want to spend so much money on a powder!
Later that day I was walking through the makeup isle in W-mart when I came across the NYC powder. For $3 I thought I may as well just try it.
Well holy **** this powder is better than anything I've used in the past year. Maybe ever.
I have super dry skin and it works so well to set my foundation without making my skin look all dried up.
It looks matte and fresh and hides my pores perfectly. My foundation stays on twice as long with this on.
I am literally in shock that such a cheap product can be so great, but it's true.
I am also extremely pale and the translucent shade is perfect because it doesn't add any funny orange or yellow tones to my face. It's perfect.
The packaging slightly sucks but really for $3 you can't complain.
This powder is awesome and I highly recommend trying it if you are looking for something to set your foundation with.
I will never try another stupid expensive powder again.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No