April 19, 2014 | 1611 users online

Powder - New York Color - Smooth Skin Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2011 8:58:00 PM More reviews by phoenix511

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Bought this as an alternative to have on hand to my Rimmel powder (as a college student, I love how some of these uber cheap lines can be as or more effective than more expensive types). Unfortunately, this is a little too powdery for my tastes. I use translucent powder to set my liquid foundation, and this was much paler and coarser than I had anticipated, sort of like that itchy halloween makeup we all put up with as kids. It chalked around the little smidges of coverup on my zits and quickly migrated from my cheeks to my chin to my shirt. Perhaps it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of my makeup, but I'm certainly not going to change my other mainstays to match this. Its still in my bag only because in an emergency I can make it work for a little while, at least long enough to dash to the store for more of my regular.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by troglodyte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

No need to buy froufrou pressed powders when this is available. Cheap and effective.
I do not use the enclosed sponge, I use my blush brush as it looks more natural.
I like that it has no color.
Packaging is junk but I don't go around knocking it on walls and such, and for $3CAD I'm not complaining.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2011 3:19:00 AM More reviews by Lexx13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This review is long but I need to explain.
I've wasted so much money on powders in the last year. Way too much!
My favorite powder was clinique almost powder, because it concealed my pores and gave me a perfect matte finish over my foundation. Well it was getting too expensive to repurchase every few months ($30 CAD) so I started trying cheaper powders.
I tried L'oreal true match powder (oxidized insanely!), Maybelline dream matte powder (ok but not great for dry skin), tons of different mineral powders (bare minerals, everyday minerals, MAC skinfinish etc.) which all broke me out.
A few days ago I was going to grab MAC careblend pressed powder because I read good reviews. I went to MAC and saw it's $27.50 CAD and I just cringed. I don't want to spend so much money on a powder!
Later that day I was walking through the makeup isle in W-mart when I came across the NYC powder. For $3 I thought I may as well just try it.
Well holy **** this powder is better than anything I've used in the past year. Maybe ever.
I have super dry skin and it works so well to set my foundation without making my skin look all dried up.
It looks matte and fresh and hides my pores perfectly. My foundation stays on twice as long with this on.
I am literally in shock that such a cheap product can be so great, but it's true.
I am also extremely pale and the translucent shade is perfect because it doesn't add any funny orange or yellow tones to my face. It's perfect.
The packaging slightly sucks but really for $3 you can't complain.
This powder is awesome and I highly recommend trying it if you are looking for something to set your foundation with.
I will never try another stupid expensive powder again.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2011 7:56:00 PM More reviews by lipglossaddict93

This product works for setting liquid foundation, I would not say that this powder is pigmented enough to use on its own if you don't have perfect skin. The packaging is very hard to close and if I carry it in my bag powder tends to fall all over the bag if I do not pay close attention to closing the compact. I got the powder in the lightest colour, but not translucent because the translucent powder seemed very ashy when I swatched it in the store. The powder itself is also very soft. However, since it is so affordable I would repurchase this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/31/2011 1:51:00 PM More reviews by jjiyunlee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this in 701A Translucent. It can give an ashy tint that goes away after 20 minutes or so on my NC35 skin, but the dealbreaker is that it starts looking cakey throughout the day. I do have oily skin, but there are other drugstore powders that don't leave a cast or cake (e.g. Maybelline Dream Matte). I would recommend this range of powders as excellent for the price if you have dry to normal light skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 7:52:00 AM More reviews by PurpleCupcake87

Helps keep me matte and doesn't have a weird smell. Packaging is cheap but its what's inside that counts (: will repurchase especially since it only cost me 2$ at Walmart. I love finding gems in drugstore brands!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by lalahellohwru

this product i bought by accident didnt mean to at all was getting the one in color(silly me i was in a hurry) and the one i got was translucent didnt want to go back to the store so i gave it a shot overall i like it i dont love it because of the packaging its hard to open and hard to close. but the product use is actually pretty good!!! concealar and this powder and im on the go!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2010 6:50:00 PM More reviews by inapathy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i wanted to like this because of the great reviews and great price, but it wasn't helpful at all to my oily acne-prone skin. I applied it lightly after my liquid foundation with a kabuki brush and it looked okay, weird coloring tho (it made my foundation lighter) and although it didn't look caked on -it felt like it was.
after about twenty to thirty minutes my foundation went back to its normal color but my skin was an oil slick and i broke out.
I'll stick to silica to tame my oily skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 11:52:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I used to use this as a setting powder. It did do the job but as the years have gone on, I'm now combination & this does not stop oil.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2010 5:41:00 PM More reviews by willyouscream

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was really hoping for something with more coverage, but this is very sheer. Also, i found that if i applied it over a tinted or regular moisturizer, it made the powder turn orange, and if i applied it over foundation it looks REALLY cakey. It did help control a bit of shine, but if i had been sweating alot, and tried applying this, it would turn orange like it did over moisturizer. Its fine if you want something really sheer and just want to control a small amount of shine, but other then that, its completly useless.